MEDICOM RAH Alien Figure Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I'm very happy you dig the repaint!
I'd love to see someone try a more extensive repaint to see how the paint peeling issues could be handled.

I really like the way it looks now, you're inspiring me to try something similar. But I'm not sure about your choice of paints man, I think you're going to loose a great deal of it's mobility because the paint isn't going to handle anything but minor bending before the paint starts to crumble and peel away.

I was thinking of tinting some polyurethane glue ofr mine, I'll have to experiment by painting some rubber with similar properties as the Medicom and then flex it when the paint is dry to see how well it bonds, I'll go for it if it's reasonable.

Maybe you could give it some sort of flexible protective silicone or polyurethane overcoat when you're finished? That might preserve the pain and give it a better range of movement for posing. I'm not overly concerned about loosing articulation with the figure, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it again because the paint won't adhere to the suit after a year or so.

:google
Here's a couple more:

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

I've been dying to see the finished result and have to say that it's AMAZING! :google

Thanks Abake, sterling work.

Abake the paintwork is astounding!!!

May I check with you if you all used thinner to thin down the paint?
Just want to make sure as I only have Mr Hobby's colors and I dont want the thinner to spoil the suit, thks!

Wow, thanks for the praise guys, I will tell Fabio how highly rated his work is!

Kazuki, we started with Tamiya Acrylics (rusty brown) highly diluted with alcohol, applied with a brush. Then we moved on to dry-brushing with Testors Enamels (sand colors and a cold light grey). The we sprayed the whole thing with a gloss coat.
After that we used the air-brush with slightly diluted Testors rust (also Enamel) and did some more dry-brushing. Another coat of gloss and finally with used Testors black, highly diluted and applied it with a brush all over the place.
There was no specific reason as to the order in which we did things, this was just me coming up with ideas and Fabio pointing out what he thought would work or not and then actually doing the work! :D Then we'd take a couple of days to see how the figure looked and got back to work.
I'm sure someone with both knowledge of the alien and knowledge of painting would come up with a better action plan!

All Enamels were diluted with thinner.

I have not seen any damage to the suit, but the paint peels off basically the same as the original, but now it not very apparent due to the mixes of colors and tonalities. You can see some of it on the crotch area and the suit parts of the shoulders.

I think it's pretty safe to do these touch ups on the figure, so go ahead and have fun! One thing only, be patient, it's all a matter of going over it again and again to achieve a blend of the different tones and colors. I still think it could use some more work, but for now I'm very happy!

Thks for the tips Abake!!!
This will be extremely valuable once I find time to customize mine.

Hopefully I'm able to do an equally impressive job as the one u n Fabio did!

some of those shots look straight out of the film. makes the hot toys look like amatuer hour. just look at that grin!

It's odd how photography brings out details that are not that apparent to the naked eye and obscures others...
Oh well, here's a couple of more "artistic" pics.

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

Forgot to mention, we also repainted the teeth with Metal Cote (Aluminum) and repainted the gums off-white.

DSC02408.jpg

now there is giger's alien. the paint really makes the details pop. and those chromed teeth! medicom really nailed it for once. its all in the details. the accurate details. this just went on my wish list.

Dandy, you do realise that's a re-paint by Abake and his buddy? The figure is fantastic as it is, but the've really done an amazing job on it. IMO it's by far the most accurate figure so far produced, well maybe apart from the kenner! :D

Dandy, you do realise that's a re-paint by Abake and his buddy? The figure is fantastic as it is, but the've really done an amazing job on it. IMO it's by far the most accurate figure so far produced, well maybe apart from the kenner! :D

yeah i know its a repaint. i do tend to read the posts im quoting ;) and its a fantastic one at that. if i do get around to picking this guy i will do something similar.

and i dont see how people can quibble over the accuracy of some other figures when this guy is around as an example. its clearly superior in that dept.

yeah i know its a repaint. i do tend to read the posts im quoting ;) and its a fantastic one at that. if i do get around to picking this guy i will do something similar.

and i dont see how people can quibble over the accuracy of some other figures when this guy is around as an example. its clearly superior in that dept.

The problem comes from people wanting all of their figures to be the same size (1:6 mainly). This beautiful figure was dismissed by many because they felt it too small and wouldn't look right with their collection.

I'm not one of them...scale means nothing to me.
I'm glad to have it in my collection.

100_6507.jpg

i agree. of course it would be great if it was another inch or two bigger but its not. and i will gladly trade quality and accuracy for those inches.

and i have figures of all scales and sizes. i dont feel any particular desire for them to match exactly.

I just received mine, im a bit disappointed actually.
The product photos are much nicer than the actual product. The latex skin does not look like the scaly texture in the photos. The dome is too transparent and the articulation is a joke.

Each to their own, although those are all valid points. (This is the pics thread though - so you better back up that statement with some photo's :D)

I really like it personally - I think it captured the essence of the beast better than the HT, I own them both so I'm not speculating from the outside...

Seriously dude - need pics, I would load some of mine but photobucket is dead atm.

Each to their own, although those are all valid points. (This is the pics thread though - so you better back up that statement with some photo's :D)

I really like it personally - I think it captured the essence of the beast better than the HT, I own them both so I'm not speculating from the outside...

Seriously dude - need pics, I would load some of mine but photobucket is dead atm.

I'm at work so cant help you out there. Would be cool to try to take some pics emulating the strobe light from the final battle scene in the shuttle.

Sucks that you're not enjoying the figure CV.
However, other than the limited articulation on the hips, the figure is very pose-able. Just play around with it a bit. Are you familiar with the Medicom RAH body? If yes, then you know what to expect and where to twist.

Sucks that you're not enjoying the figure CV.
However, other than the limited articulation on the hips, the figure is very pose-able. Just play around with it a bit. Are you familiar with the Medicom RAH body? If yes, then you know what to expect and where to twist.

This is my only Medicom figure, but its the hip thats the problem. I was hoping to pose him crouching or in a "ready to jump at you"-stance, but its not possible :/

Ah, I see.
No, that pose is not possible, although I did see an interesting one close to a crouch. You might want to check out the Medi-forums, I think that's where I saw it.
However, the arms torso and legs (except the hips) are fairly pose-able.

Back