MEDICOM RAH Alien Figure Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should tell him to paint the entire side of the head black, and when it dries, dry brush highlight a better color. It will create a nice deep look for the head.

That looks really great Abake, love it!

When can it be delivered, I'm free Tuesday?

Thanks Jeff!
I hope this will make people appreciate this highly under-rated figure a bit more. The detail is there, there's lots of texture, it's just the uninspired paint apps that make it look a bit drab.

Alright guys, thanks for all the feedback and positive comments.
Here's round 2 of repainting.

This time we just went for washes with very diluted black paint (again Testors enamel). We applied them with a very fine brush and that was it. That's it for now, I don't think we'll try much more, because the concept or idea behind it is to achieve a different look from what is usually done with alien paint apps.

Hope you guys like it!

DSC02396.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

I tried to keep the pics as neutral as possible, but it's hard to get a good balance with all the highlights and shadows...

DSC02405.jpg

It's odd how photography brings out details that are not that apparent to the naked eye and obscures others...
Oh well, here's a couple of more "artistic" pics.

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

Forgot to mention, we also repainted the teeth with Metal Cote (Aluminum) and repainted the gums off-white.

DSC02408.jpg

Love it! That's a big improvement in regards to the paint. Looks more like the HT version. That's what I might do to mine at some point. What type of flexible paint did you use for the job?

Glad you like it man!

Actually, I used both Tamyia Acrylics and Testors Enamels. I was very hesitant about the enamels, but after a bit of testing it looked like no degradation of the suit was forthcoming so I said screw it!
Besides, the paint peels off anyway, so who cares really if these paint apps peel off... as long as the suit itself goes undamaged!

If you go a couple of posts back you can see the first round of repaint, without the balck wash.

To achieve a look like the HT figure you'd probably have to repaint the whole figure black and then start adding layers of lighter colors to achieve contrast. I wasn't really willing to do that, because a) the paint would undoubtedly peel off and b) I wanted to find a different "look" and not the usual "dark with light dry-brushing + tiger stripes camo" effect.

Back