Medicom Darth Vader v1 Suit Issues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Medicom Darth Vader

I think the medicom's version definitely got a better helmet sculpt than the sideshow :exactly:

Me too. In fact I like my Medicom Vaders more than the SS version. Hopefully the ESB or ROTJ Vader made by SS will be improved.

I don't own the Medicom but the Dome is better for sure but IMO the SSC wins on the mask I've never liked the Medi one esp in profile

lol sorry I couldn't help notice that the medicom vader here resembles another vaders helmet......how wide is that thing ????

IMG_3050.JPG
Dark-Helmet.jpg

Then again I own the sideshow one and as good as he looks his helmet is too narrow and therefore fails as a good vader helmet....I think they were looking at this when they designed sideshow vader:

2ilipu0.jpg

Last edited:

Me too. In fact I like my Medicom Vaders more than the SS version. Hopefully the ESB or ROTJ Vader made by SS will be improved.

I love them both....nice finishing on medi and nice size on SS...

I have SS vader and SS ANH obiwan in a duel pose and I watch the movie. The vader seems only slightly taller.

The size on SS Vader is on the big size the same way the size on the Medicom is on the small size.

yep, and i'm torn now. i love my Medi ROTS Vader. love those arms crossed over the chest. and i gave him leg extenders so he's as tall as most other 1/6, HT, SS, ect. but he's not "taller" like he should be. recently got the SS Vader and he's really sweet too. just the opposite problem of being too big lol. gotta get rid of one

I love my RotJ Vader.

Is it perfect? No.

Does it look awesome in context with other Medicom figures? Hell yeah!

I usually have a bit of an Empire setup going on amongst my other fun bits and bobs:

DSCN5477.jpg

DSCN5478.jpg

Although I really would love a 2nd Royal Guard to have a nice RotJ arrangement:

DSCN5513.jpg

Thanks. Looking forward to adding a Tie Pilot (if I can ever find a UK seller) and the Droids at some point.

I know this is an old thread, but I believe I have found a repair cure for these peeling Medicom Darth Vader suits:

Remove all remaining pleather from the suit. Rubbing with the thumb, or using duct tape will do it. Time consuming, but it must be done.

Next, make sure the remaining cloth suit is free of any debris.

Then spray the suit with:

Mighty Sealer, a black colored, spray liquid sealer, that goes on wet (like paint), seeping into the fabric, then when it dries, it turns into a flexible, rubberized coating.

I bought this stuff today @ Big Lots for $8.95 (Bed Bath & Beyond has a similar product for $12.99, and there is also a TV infomercial selling a similar product for $19.99), for a 15 oz. spray can, so as to seal a leak in the edging of a sky light.

After I was done, I looked at my peeling Medicom Vader costume, and wondered if it might help it. I took the costume off the figure, removed the remaining pleather, and sprayed the costume! I figured, what did I have to loose, the costume was bad anyways! It takes about 30 minutes to dry. After it dried, I shot it a second time, and this time let it dry for 5 hours. I wanted to make sure it completely cured before I touched it.

Once it was cured, I was presented with a slightly stiffer, but completely flexible costume, which actually, more realistically represented Darth Vader's body suit, than in its original, pleather covered state!

The body suit dried to a rubberized, satin sheen finish, which more accurately represents the leather look than the pleather did. Since the rubber is flexible, the figure still has the same movement as before, but not with the same stress on the outer coating.

Also, since the cloth suit is now rubberized, the gloves actually stay on better!

This stuff sprays out thick, so I would suggest spraying it in two light coats. I inadvertently sprayed mine just a little too heavy, so that once it dried, I had lost some of the ribbing stich pattern in the suit. This was easily remedied, by lightly re-etching the lines in the dried coating.

Overall, I am very pleased with the look this sealer produced! Now I no longer have to look at the Vader figure on my shelf, and be upset that I spent $200.00 on such poor quality control by Medicom.

I hope this helps!

I know this is an old thread, but I believe I have found a repair cure for these peeling Medicom Darth Vader suits:

Remove all remaining pleather from the suit. Rubbing with the thumb, or using duct tape will do it. Time consuming, but it must be done.

Mighty Sealer, a black colored, spray liquid sealer, that goes on wet (like paint), seeping into the fabric, then when it dries, it turns into a flexible, rubberized coating.

I bought this stuff today @ Big Lots for $8.95 (Bed Bath & Beyond has a similar product for $12.99, and there is also a TV infomercial selling a similar product for $19.99), for a 15 oz. spray can, so as to seal a leak in the edging of a sky light.

After I was done, I looked at my peeling Medicom Vader costume, and wondered if it might help it. I took the costume off the figure, removed the remaining pleather, and sprayed the costume! I figured, what did I have to loose, the costume was bad anyways! It takes about 30 minutes to dry. After it dried, I shot it a second time, and this time let it dry for 5 hours. I wanted to make sure it completely cured before I touched it.

Once it was cured, I was presented with a slightly stiffer, but completely flexible costume, which actually, more realistically represented Darth Vader's body suit, than in its original, pleather covered state!

The body suit dried to a rubberized, satin sheen finish, which more accurately represents the leather look than the pleather did. Since the rubber is flexible, the figure still has the same movement as before, but not with the same stress on the outer coating.

Also, since the cloth suit is now rubberized, the gloves actually stay on better!

This stuff sprays out thick, so I would suggest spraying it in two light coats. I inadvertently sprayed mine just a little too heavy, so that once it dried, I had lost some of the ribbing stich pattern in the suit. This was easily remedied, by lightly re-etching the lines in the dried coating.

Overall, I am very pleased with the look this sealer produced! Now I no longer have to look at the Vader figure on my shelf, and be upset that I spent $200.00 on such poor quality control by Medicom.

I hope this helps!

Interesting. Some pics of before and after would be cool to see.

I hope this helps!

Sounds promising -- can you post pictures so that we can see the results please?
Thanks!

As of now, I have no server hosting my picture files-only on my local machine. As soon as I get a host, I will be happy to post them, unless there is a way to post from a local machine to this forum?

Back