McFarlane Toys: The Walking Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short packed means that less of a particular figure is included in a case. For example, if the case contained 12 figures and there are 4 figures in the wave, it could have been 3 Deer walkers, 3 Tank walkers, 4 Ricks, and 2 Daryls. So short packed figures are rarer because less of them are made. I'm not sure that's true with Daryl. I think it might have been an even case breakdown, but he was the only Daryl figure for years and as Daryl's popularity on the show grew, so did the demand for his figure. Its artificially inflated now because you can get the same figure (sans squirrels) in the Dixon Brothers 2 pack. There is no reason to pay the absorbent prices for him if you're going to open him. Its really just for MOC collectors at this point IMO. You might even be able to find the squirrels loose on ebay like I did.

thanks

I'm really hoping McFarlane makes a comic version of All Out War Rick, and clean shaven comic Alexandria Rick. We definitely need an updated Michonne at that. It'd be cool to have a Douglas also.

I'm sure Mall Cop Rick is coming soon, but whether its from the comic or the show, I don't know. If I had to bet, I'd say the show.

Based on the poll they had, I think a new comic Michonne is inevitable. I'd say we get a DeAnna before a Douglas figure though.

Does anyone have the new Hershel? If you do, can you switch the heads (series 6/flashback Hershel)

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to, especially when the bandana head as originally advertised as swappable head with the original figure before it and the third leg were set aside for the exclusive.

Short packed means that less of a particular figure is included in a case. For example, if the case contained 12 figures and there are 4 figures in the wave, it could have been 3 Deer walkers, 3 Tank walkers, 4 Ricks, and 2 Daryls. So short packed figures are rarer because less of them are made. I'm not sure that's true with Daryl. I think it might have been an even case breakdown, but he was the only Daryl figure for years and as Daryl's popularity on the show grew, so did the demand for his figure. Its artificially inflated now because you can get the same figure (sans squirrels) in the Dixon Brothers 2 pack. There is no reason to pay the absorbent prices for him if you're going to open him. Its really just for MOC collectors at this point IMO. You might even be able to find the squirrels loose on ebay like I did.

Spot on mate there was only 2 in a case it was a nightmare at the time as they were not evenly packed and customers wanted sets of 4. It is one of the reasons there were so many of the 2 walkers going cheap at the time of release. It may have been different in the US but in the UK our cases were short packed on Daryl and we had extra Ricks.

Just got my first four figures: Series 6 Rick, Abraham, Exclusive Daryl, Hershel.

I do like them, they are good figures, but I just feel like Mcfarlane could have done a better job.

My Cons:
-I do not really care for the five inch scale.... seems like a dirty move by Mcfarlane. Every major toy line is 6 inch.... DC, WWE, Marvel and are all somewhat in scale with one another. Would have been cool for a Rick Grimes vs Batman stare down or some other fantasy matchup. Not an issue to make me stop buying.

-The peg holes. It does not really bother me, but it just does not look good with those peg holes in the hips and arms.

-The leg/hip design is really terrible. Tough to move, very limited movement, some good poses can still be made.

Pros:
-Great sculpts on the figures I have. Every angle looks great.

-Cool accessories was confirmed when Carl came with the can of fudge, just awesome!

-The hand swaps are more durable than Hot Toys. I switched the Rick hands out and it never felt like the hands were going to break, very easy swaps. With Hot Toys the pin is very brittle, hard to snap in and out, along with the fear of breakage.

-No messy paint apps(yet). Good paint job, nice weathering.

-Good attention to detail on all figures.

I plan on buying the rest of the figures from series 3-7 this week. These first four were a test run, but overall I am happy with these. Hoping to add the comic bust banks, the funko figures and the 10 inch Rick and Daryl. Gonna go all in.

McFarlane's had that 5" scale for a long while now starting with their Halo stuff I think. I wasn't sure about it before but I don't display different figures mixed together anyways so it doesn't matter too much to me. Once I had a medium to large amount of TWD figures, I don't think I've ever felt weird about the scale. Small enough to display a bunch of figures in a given space and still big enough to get a good amount of detailing in.

Completely agree^

They look great when you get a bunch of them together on the shelf and you can pull off some pretty sweet dioramas. Honestly, I wish every collector line was this scale.

McFarlane's had that 5" scale for a long while now starting with their Halo stuff I think. I wasn't sure about it before but I don't display different figures mixed together anyways so it doesn't matter too much to me. Once I had a medium to large amount of TWD figures, I don't think I've ever felt weird about the scale. Small enough to display a bunch of figures in a given space and still big enough to get a good amount of detailing in.

These are going on there own shelf. Gonna have some busts and the graphic novels as the backdrop.

I think everyone who collects multiple lines, whether young or old likes to mess around with the figures. Batman vs Captain America, Thor vs Superman, Hulk vs Optimus Prime..... :dunno, it is fun to pose them for fantasy match-ups, and with majority of lines being six inch scale, it was possible for those, just not this line.

The one thing I do wish is that some generic walker three packs. Would love to army build some walkers for a pretty cool display.

I have been hoping for the same thing but doubt it will ever happen, at least at retain as I don't see them selling well to the masses. I do however see them potentially being a McFarlane.com exclusive down the road.

Definitely

These are going on there own shelf. Gonna have some busts and the graphic novels as the backdrop.

I think everyone who collects multiple lines, whether young or old likes to mess around with the figures. Batman vs Captain America, Thor vs Superman, Hulk vs Optimus Prime..... :dunno, it is fun to pose them for fantasy match-ups, and with majority of lines being six inch scale, it was possible for those, just not this line.

The one thing I do wish is that some generic walker three packs. Would love to army build some walkers for a pretty cool display.

Oh yeah, nothing wrong with mixing brands together, just that I wouldn't call the scale a dirty move by McF. I usually have a couple of my comic series figures next to some Figma imports since scale-wise they sorta fit together. And if able to mixing brands, not too much of a stretch to be able to mix scales. :p

Just ordered Series 4 complete set, series 5 complete set, Rick 10 inch figure, Clementine, Rick bust bank, Michonne bust bank. All are sitting in my pile of loot, gonna ship it after Easter. Then I will be buying Michonne, Carol, Shane, Daryl 10 inch and will order Series 7 once they are instock. Also just got issue 138 and 139 is coming tomorrow. So I am up to date on Walking Dead stuff. As someone said earlier, I think these will look great displayed together with the busts and comics/graphic novels displayed behind them. Will post pics when I get everything.

Toys R Us has their Walking Dead Building Toys on sale for 20% off right now.

Thanks Dyson. Just placed an order for a few. These aren't even out in HK so it's good the discount is there. The money saved will go towards shipping from the forwarder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to start playing catch up on this line. Picked up the last Series 6 Rick at my local Toys R Us and at GameStop picked up the Series 7 Michonne and Gareth. Still need to get Series 5 Glenn, Series 6 Abraham Ford, Hershel and Governor, Series 7 Carl. Lots to get still but since Neca hasn't been offering anything lately that I want I guess it's catch up time.

It can definitely be tough to play catch up. I got lucky and series 2 impressed be enough to jump on board. Only had to get series 1, which was still somewhat available at the time except Daryl. Good luck!

Thanks! I've been meaning to play catch up but Series 1,2 and 3 didn't really catch my eye too much but lately the line has started to get better and I decided to finally jump in.

Series 3 is where the line really became what it is today. Merle and Michonne are still some of the best figures in the line. Series 4 and above and be found relatively easily so that's good for you at least. I'm just glad the tragedy of the first wave didn't kill this line. Had we gotten series 3 figures from the beginning, I think this line would actually be bigger than it currently is. As big of a Walking Dead fan as I am, I passed on the first wave initially - and I had a chance to purchase them early at NYCC. I was totally going to do it, but then I saw the final products in person and just couldn't do it :lol

Being the sad completest I am, I had to go back get them afterwards :banghead

I just hope someday we'll get a new Sherriff Rick with the current articulation. Probably the best chance would be an a deluxe pack (like Daryl's chopper) with the Atlanta Horse and gun bag. Bonus points if they made the horse have removable guts!

Back