McCain pulls out of Michigan!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget Gore actually won in 2000 and Kerry likely won in 2004 once we start looking at Ohio.

Gore won the Popular Vote in 2000, yes. We all know the mess that was Florida and how that turned out.

Bush won the Popular Vote in 2004 by a pretty wide margin, and the election was essentially decided by the swing-state of Ohio.

Or are we onto "the Republicans stole the elections" craziness again?

Gore won the Popular Vote in 2000, yes. We all know the mess that was Florida and how that turned out.

Bush won the Popular Vote in 2004, which was decided by Ohio through Electoral College.

Or are we onto "the Republicans stole the elections" craziness again?

Lets not open that can of worms ever agian.

Bush won the Popular Vote in 2004 by a pretty wide margin, and the election was essentially decided by the swing-state of Ohio.

2004 would have been a reversal of 2000 had the Republicans not sandbagged Ohio. That said I think the EC is a joke.

And are you Obama guys really touting VICTORY already? This is your first Presidential Elecition isn't it? Or did you just not pay attention in 2000 and 2004? :lol

I voted in those elections too, and I knew Kerry would not beat Bush. Kerry is NOT Obama. And who is touting victory? Not me. If there is one thing polls are good for, it is to reveal possible TRENDS. In any case I still think it can go either way.

I voted in those elections too, and I knew Kerry would not beat Bush. Kerry is NOT Obama. And who is touting victory? Not me. If there is one thing polls are good for, it is to reveal possible TRENDS. In any case I still think it can go either way.

Agreed. This has had all the makings of a nail-biter on Election Day for the past several months.

I'd also caution not to put too much stock into "Exit Polling" on Election Day, either. Those nimrods got egg on their faces the past few times.

I agree. New Hampshire is the only state in New England where he has a real shot, because they may be the most Independently-minded, moderate state in the country. Hard to truly predict (which is one of several reasons I'm personally looking to move there).

New Hampshire has a Senate seat up right now, and either John Sununu or Jean Shaheen will get it. If Shaheen gets it, Obama will take New Hampshire, unless the zombies haven't eaten their brains, and they do their best to shoot for gridlock.

Probably why NH has essentially been a toss-up all along. God, I love those people. They get it and will never hitch themselves to one horse or another.

I actually think the strategy of this move is a good one. McCain's camp clearly felt Michigan was going blue (as it almost always does lately anyway). Plus, they don't need Michigan. Diverting funds and effort to other swing states where he has a better chance is actually a pretty sane move if you ask me. And I doubt it's Maine... it's probably more like Virginia, Ohio, Florida, etc.

https://www.bangornews.com/detail/90345.html

Maine it is. From link: "We are opening up an aggressive front in Maine, where we have strong numbers and where they split their electoral votes," Mike DuHaime, political director of the campaign, said in a conference call with reporters.

https://www.bangornews.com/detail/90345.html

Maine it is. From link: "We are opening up an aggressive front in Maine, where we have strong numbers and where they split their electoral votes," Mike DuHaime, political director of the campaign, said in a conference call with reporters.

This is why I favor revamping the EV system, eliminating the winner-take-all rule at the state level, and replacing it with 2 votes for each state, with the remainder pushed down to the congressional district level. It would really change the dynamic of campaigns, and eliminate the "Ohio" problem.

And are you Obama guys really touting VICTORY already? This is your first Presidential Elecition isn't it? Or did you just not pay attention in 2000 and 2004? :lol

No, but I feel really good about things. This is my 3rd Presidential Election. After seeing the last two stolen I'm not counting my chickens till they've hatched and been butchered.

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of the EC? It's supposed to be a check on majority rules.

No, not really. Since two states already implement that practice, it is clear that it is still within the framework the founding fathers intended. The "majority rules" problem comes into play if you eliminate the EC completely, making the popular vote the sole mechanism for choosing a president.

The congressional district system merely changes the granularity, as if we had 435 states instead of 50 (with each real state still getting one vote per senator).

No, but I feel really good about things. This is my 3rd Presidential Election. After seeing the last two stolen I'm not counting my chickens till they've hatched and been butchered.

I am making my chicken for dinner. Chicken Parmesan to be exact. :lecture :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back