Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! @ Telling people who collect toys to grow up.

When a little kid is out of line and misbehaves, you give them an BUTTOCKS whippin', right? Well, maybe not anymore in this Brady Bunch version of itself world we live in. But the same goes for a company that misbehaves and underhandedly mistreats the customers. One has to smack them in the proverbial behinds in the form of legal action.

The "these are just toys" remark is a popular cop out, but Mattel is setting a precedence, just like Scott set his under his regime. Mattel needs to be taught a lesson at some point, and hitting them with a class action suit might just do that. But as I said, it will never happen because there is too much division among the fans and most will gladly hand over their wallets, in return for more cost cut toys at premium prices. :)

It''s not a cop out at all. It's called perspective and or reason . Suggesting all those who collect toys are childish individuals is a cop out.
You can have a childish streak and still otherwise act like an adult. That's a far cry from what's happening here. To suggest a law suite over such a small thing, at it is indeed a small insignificant thing we are talking about here, is way over the top but then I am talking to folks who live in country which has a culture of seuing over everything and anything. A dude slips on a banana peal and they will sue the banana tree.

There is a little something called proportion. This is foreign concept to many, especially and I am sad to report with nerds or geeks.

Lets not go ape over Apple using sweat shops, or congress blocking first responders payouts, gun laws etc. Lets all get behind sueing Mattel over a bendy plastic snake and think it's totally fine to do so.

K-man, will you cover the legal fees to take on this class action suit? Compensatory damages are going to be so low that no lawyer would take you seriously. This whole thing was bungled by Mattel when they promised and now haven't delivered, but a lawsuit isn't going to happen.

Also are you still handing over your wallet to Mattel? Are you buying any 2016 figures or have you called it quits? I'm curious because you seem to take such a hard stance against Mattel all the time and I wonder why you would still give them any of your money.

"but a lawsuit isn't going to happen."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's kinda what I said too. :)

"you seem to take such a hard stance against Mattel all the time"

Yes. Yes I do.

I will not be buying anymore MOTUC figures. I WAS considering picking up a few CC figures in the future, If I ever saw them on ebay for cheap, I was also considering getting the Thundercats line. After this latest scam, I am done. I can't trust Mattel enough to commit to subs or buy anymore of their figures.

I will consider Snake Mountain if it's to my liking but I will not partake in the pre order. If I like it, I will buy it from another source.

The Talon Fighter and other future vehicles and beasts I will be getting because they are (IMO) part of the vintage line.

It''s not a cop out at all. It's called perspective and or reason . Suggesting all those who collect toys are childish individuals is a cop out.
You can have a childish streak and still otherwise act like an adult. That's a far cry from what's happening here. To suggest a law suite over such a small thing, at it is indeed a small insignificant thing we are talking about here, is way over the top but then I am talking to folks who live in country which has a culture of seuing over everything and anything. A dude slips on a banana peal and they will sue the banana tree.

There is a little something called proportion. This is foreign concept to many, especially and I am sad to report with nerds or geeks.

Lets not go ape over Apple using sweat shops, or congress blocking first responders payouts, gun laws etc. Lets all get behind sueing Mattel over a bendy plastic snake and think it's totally fine to do so.

I just don't see how calling people childish is helpful in the slightest. I mean, I get that it's your opinion, but it's directed at a huge portion of the fans AND people on this very forum. Perhaps simply disagreeing with it and explaining why you disagree would be nicer.

I just don't see how calling people childish is helpful in the slightest. I mean, I get that it's your opinion, but it's directed at a huge portion of the fans AND people on this very forum. Perhaps simply disagreeing with it and explaining why you disagree would be nicer.

So big enough to suggest we all rally together to sue as large corporation over a 30 buck plastic snake but seemingly gets offended if some blunt honesty is directed towards you and others sharing your opinion?

You were the one who suggested folk were childish with your statement "LOL! @ Telling people who collect toys to grow up." and youhav been plenty blunt on here already towards others (which I have no problem with by the way).

I call it like I see it. As far as I can see many geeks or nerds lack perspective on the more important things in life and instead consume themselves on the petty and small like it matters.

This is not to say that folks should not complain about things. But too suggest class auction over a 30 buck plastic snake is beyond reason. I very much doubt I am the only person to have this opinion.

Lol, well said!

Surprise! The problem wasn't Toy Guru, it was Mattel all along.

Oh man, I feel bad for the new guys. They garnered some good will, but I knew that this would come eventually. You can tell they're trying to do right by fans (as ToyGuru also did, I believe, although some would obviously disagree), but it was only a matter of time before they ran into the same sort of situations TG did (especially with the increased transparency). I don't think this is going to be the last time either (although I suppose 2016/2017 is going to be the first time we see a line run top to bottom by the new team).

The situation could have been handled better, but I do think that this is a cool looking snakeman figure. The extra snake head for the human form is cool, and I like the choice of weapons.

I just don't like that this is going to be a day-of-sale figure, when everyone who subscribed was promised the snake torso. I think they should consider pushing Dare back to 2016, and give this figure a subscription slot while also making enough extra for day-of-sale for non-subscribers. Not many fans were asking for Dare for 2015, and this would be one way to save the fans money.

I agree completely, I love Dare, but I think at this point making him (or BS Hordak) an out of sub item and making this new King Hsss part of the sub would have fulfilled the letter of ToyGuru's initial promise (the snake torso would come with another "figure" in the year - even if that figure is not really what we were expecting). I think it would have also avoided any potential legal issues (surprises me that they're doing it this way, as Mattel is usually pretty conservative on the legal end). It would be a lot easier for them to do this kind of shuffle if we didn't already know what was coming this year - if this Hsss was just announced as part of the sub, I think there would be less backlash then if they tried moving him into the sub now.

exactly

It's still a breach of contract....we were ALL were given the impression that if we subbed,we would get the Snake Torso with another figure.You can spin it all that you want,it doesn't change what we were told during the sub drive (whether it was from Toyguru or not,he was working for Mattel at the time)

It's not a breach of contract. It was not in the contract. And an "impression" is not a promise. Sorry. And even if it had been included they gave them selves the legal right to change it by the statement "subject to change". The only thing that would constitute breach would be if the hard numbers (dollar amount total) changed. And even that would result in arbitration not a lawsuit.

The terms and conditions every subber has to agree to specifically states you agree you CAN NOT sue, and even spells out no CLASS action lawsuits as well. And it states that any items not included in the listed items on th sub page does NOT constitute a promise to include, and specifies any video or interview. They are completly legally protected from this type of legal action. And there is not a single GOOD lawyer on the planet that would take this case. Not against the second largest toy company on the planet, when they have an agreement in writing from each person who could sue that they agree not to, and agree to arbitration, and any arbitration on items under 10,000 dollars can be conducted by phone of mail and doesn't require a judge, and that they have the LEGAL right to change any specific item in the sub for any other item they want at any time so long as the total cost to the consumer is the same.

Sorry, but there is NO case. NONE. The person who stated it would be included misspoke. That's what it boils down to.

I don't think you want to start making it ok for them to alter the terms you agreed to as long as they say it in an interview. The terms are what are in th sub page when you sign up. I never even saw this interview. But there have been plenty of others where things where planned and later changed. It happens. Is it the best case. No. But it's far far far from a legal case.

It's not a breach of contract. It was not in the contract. And an "impression" is not a promise. Sorry. And even if it had been included they gave them selves the legal right to change it by the statement "subject to change". The only thing that would constitute breach would be if the hard numbers (dollar amount total) changed. And even that would result in arbitration not a lawsuit.

The terms and conditions every subber has to agree to specifically states you agree you CAN NOT sue, and even spells out no CLASS action lawsuits as well. And it states that any items not included in the listed items on th sub page does NOT constitute a promise to include, and specifies any video or interview. They are completly legally protected from this type of legal action. And there is not a single GOOD lawyer on the planet that would take this case. Not against the second largest toy company on the planet, when they have an agreement in writing from each person who could sue that they agree not to, and agree to arbitration, and any arbitration on items under 10,000 dollars can be conducted by phone of mail and doesn't require a judge, and that they have the LEGAL right to change any specific item in the sub for any other item they want at any time so long as the total cost to the consumer is the same.

Sorry, but there is NO case. NONE. The person who stated it would be included misspoke. That's what it boils down to.

I don't think you want to start making it ok for them to alter the terms you agreed to as long as they say it in an interview. The terms are what are in th sub page when you sign up. I never even saw this interview. But there have been plenty of others where things where planned and later changed. It happens. Is it the best case. No. But it's far far far from a legal case.

pay attention!!! starts at 10:22 (this is an official Matty video) and it's clear as Day that Toyguru states if you sub,YOU WILL GET THE SNAKE TORSO with another figure in your subscription)

Sorry, whatever disclaimers they have in the sign up page don't give them the right to break the law. Do you really think that waiver (assuming you haven't misrepresented it) would stand up? Mattel's video makes it clear that the Hiss top half specifically is not subject to change and would be included with the sub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanham_Act

They didn't break the law. If you saw that video BEFORE you subbed, you would then have signed the waiver stating you agree that they can"change" any item they want and that the only thing promised is written in the sub sign up. Thus waiving any claim it u had. If you saw the video after you subbed then you would have already signed in agreement that you are ok with them "changing" any figure in the sub and there are ZERO accesories promised.

Your only thing to then say is you didn't read what you signed or didn't understand it. If you didn't read you are SOL. If you didn't understand you would need to prove a legal reason why you couldn't agree to the terms...mental illness, or underage...and then the best outcome is you cancel the sub. Either way you can't get anything.

They didn't break the law. If you saw that video BEFORE you subbed, you would then have signed the waiver stating you agree that they can"change" any item they want and that the only thing promised is written in the sub sign up. Thus waiving any claim it u had. If you saw the video after you subbed then you would have already signed in agreement that you are ok with them "changing" any figure in the sub and there are ZERO accesories promised.

Your only thing to then say is you didn't read what you signed or didn't understand it. If you didn't read you are SOL. If you didn't understand you would need to prove a legal reason why you couldn't agree to the terms...mental illness, or underage...and then the best outcome is you cancel the sub. Either way you can't get anything.

guess what...I can break contract too! "oops,I lost my credit card".....and yep! contracts CAN be broken ;) just like Mattel can!

pay attention!!! starts at 10:22 (this is an official Matty video) and it's clear as Day that Toyguru states if you sub,YOU WILL GET THE SNAKE TORSO with another figure in your subscription)

I never said he didn't say it. That's actually irrelavent in a legal case. Which you seem to be missing. He could have promised you a bmw or an island. Doesn't matter. What's said in those videos is irrelavent.

Every single person that signs up for a sub has to click a box that says they agree to terms and conditions. If you don't read it then maybe you didn't notice. It says you agree you can NOT sue. For any reason. That ANY dispute is handled by arbitration.

You also have to agree that Mattel can change any figure at any time with anything else they want. They just can't change the AMOUNT they charge you. You agree to pay them for their choice of whatever they want for 12 months at a set price. Period. No specific figure. No specific animal. No specific vehicle. No accesories at all if they don't want. They could legally sell you he-man every month in repaints. They don't becuase they want to sell the next year. And sell comics. Ect. But if they did it you couldn't sue.

I didn't say it's not a crappy situation. I didn't say toy guru didn't say it. I said there is NO legal case.

guess what...I can break contract too! "oops,I lost my credit card".....and yep! contracts CAN be broken ;) just like Mattel can!

Yep, you can. But they didn't break the contract YOU signed. Did you sign a contract that had it written what you would get?

Also, technically they could come after you. And anyone else that cancels a sub. As it says plain you CANT cancel. They could take you to arbitration. And would win.

And again...I was addressing a legal Suit claim. But that narrative didn't fit your rant so it gets missed.

This is part of the agreement you and every other subber(myself included) signed. what we where promised. First image. Just the amount of money.

Second, the announced figures they acknowledge. And the key phrase. I outlined it in blue. They can change it anytime. We all agreed to it. Sorry, if you didn't understand that. But that doesn't constitute a breach of contract.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
And again...I was addressing a legal Suit claim. But that narrative didn't fit your rant so it gets missed.

Not interested in "Sueing"....but your NEED to tell me what I can and can't have vs Mattel being honest with it's customers and giving them what they thought they were suppose to get which was explained during the Subscription drive in two videos (pixel dan's walkthrough and an official matty video)....based on what was promised to me (and yes Toyguru clearly said so) is enough to be used against them to bail if I want...Contracts can be broken and MANY have done it

Not interested in "Sueing"....but your NEED to tell me what I can and can't have vs Mattel being honest with it's customers and giving them what they thought they were suppose to get which was explained during the Subscription drive in two videos (pixel dan's walkthrough and an official matty video)....based on what was promised to me (and yes Toyguru clearly said so) is enough to be used against them to bail if I want...Contracts can be broken and MANY have done it

My need to tell you? I was responding to others. And you chimed in as well. Your NEED to claim Mattel violated the contract is crap. I posted above the contract YOU signed that they violated. Where does it say you got snake anything?

Don't Like it fine. Wanna stop, that's on you. But don't get it twisted. It would be YOU violating the contract. Not them.

And yes, you did say something about suing. Which is what I was talking about. And contracts. Which I also addressed. Lots of things in collecting are personal opinion based. This is not one of them. The contract is clear. You are promised no specific figures or accesories. Period. Plain and simple. You can be upset about it al you want. But running around screaming about how they violated the contract and it's worth a lawsuit and blah blah is just not true. Unless you have a different contract then everyone else. If so provide it. Then I would understand. But I posted above a screen grab of the contract. No where in it does I t promise any specific character. Or accesories. And plainly states EVERYTHING is subject to change. (Except the dollar amount)

As for what toy guru said to you(I must have missed where he said your name...) the contract you keep referring to..says...again I highlighted in blue in case you missed it...
image.jpg

My need to tell you? I was responding to others. And you chimed in as well. Your NEED to claim Mattel violated the contract is crap. I posted above the contract YOU signed that they violated. Where does it say you got snake anything?

Don't Like it fine. Wanna stop, that's on you. But don't get it twisted. It would be YOU violating the contract. Not them.

And yes, you did say something about suing. Which is what I was talking about. And contracts. Which I also addressed. Lots of things in collecting are personal opinion based. This is not one of them. The contract is clear. You are promised no specific figures or accesories. Period. Plain and simple. You can be upset about it al you want. But running around screaming about how they violated the contract and it's worth a lawsuit and blah blah is just not true. Unless you have a different contract then everyone else. If so provide it. Then I would understand. But I posted above a screen grab of the contract. No where in it does I t promise any specific character. Or accesories. And plainly states EVERYTHING is subject to change. (Except the dollar amount)

As for what toy guru said to you(I must have missed where he said your name...) the contract you keep referring to..says...again I highlighted in blue in case you]

you basically responded mostly to me,but anyway, are you the Mattel CONTRACT police?? Why do you care so much?

All I have to do is explain to my bank (CC) the deal and they will cut all ties with Matty....you think contracts are set in stone? they are not!

by the way,I said nothing about Sueing,but mentioned Breach of contract only

Back