Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally scored a MOTU Classics Castle Grayskull. It’s still in a sealed box, but the box has some wear. Debating whether or not I should take it out of the box.

If you bought it as an investment, then leave in the box. If you bought as a fan and for an amazing display piece in your collection then open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bought it as an investment, then leave in the box. If you bought as a fan and for an amazing display piece in your collection then open.

That’s good advice in general, I’d say. For the most part, I’m a mint on card collector when it comes to Masters of the Universe Classics. On the other hand, I do think Castle Grayskull would make a fantastic display piece out of the box. I think the only thing holding me back is what I had to pay for it. After my Hot Toys Tumbler, I think it’s the second most expensive piece in my collection.

That’s good advice in general, I’d say. For the most part, I’m a mint on card collector when it comes to Masters of the Universe Classics. On the other hand, I do think Castle Grayskull would make a fantastic display piece out of the box. I think the only thing holding me back is what I had to pay for it. After my Hot Toys Tumbler, I think it’s the second most expensive piece in my collection.

Dude the MOTUC Castle Grayskull is just great. If you have any loose MOTU, then open it. Keep the box and all the packaging but open it. I still think it's a good investment even if it's opened.

And we always say things like "i got this as an investment" but do we ever actually get rid of this stuff?

You spent your hard earn money on it. I say enjoy it if you have figures you want to display with it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think you’re all probably right. Even though a lot of what I collect stays factory sealed, there are some toys/figures that just can’t be enjoyed that way. I’d put MP Transformers and Hot Toys in that category as well. I think Castle Grayskull is another example. I mean, you can’t really get a good look at it without taking it out of the box.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think you’re all probably right. Even though a lot of what I collect stays factory sealed, there are some toys/figures that just can’t be enjoyed that way. I’d put MP Transformers and Hot Toys in that category as well. I think Castle Grayskull is another example. I mean, you can’t really get a good look at it without taking it out of the box.

There's a dude on Facebook buying Hot Toys and keeping them sealed in the brown shipper. That is just not cool.

Open Castle Grayskull and enjoy it. :)

I’m hoping Brian and S7 will rerelease CG now that they have confirmed SM. After talking to him at SDCC, seems like a very firm maybe. It might go similar to the Haslab Khette???...Barge.

I was never into the classics line but they totally snagged me with the Filmation stuff.

I’m hoping Brian and S7 will rerelease CG now that they have confirmed SM. After talking to him at SDCC, seems like a very firm maybe. It might go similar to the Haslab Khette???...Barge.

I was never into the classics line but they totally snagged me with the Filmation stuff.

re-release of Castle Grayskull, not happening and those who want one New better get one before it keeps going up in value over time.

Snake Mountain is headed via pre-order soon (like a kickstarter/Haslab)

It might not but Brian is considering it.

If there is enough interest, it’ll go...and probably be upgraded.

Don't see how there would be enough interest to put CG back into production. MOQ is always the factor in production. Plus,majority of fans that wanted one got one.As far as upgrading it? How? extra accessories? I wouldn't put any stock into what Super 7 says about a CG re-issue. They need to focus on getting SM made and make sure it's just as quality made as Mattel's CG, In fact,if Super 7 was smart,they would produce SM in Mattel's factory so it matches up in plastic quality because Mattel did CG classics set justice in every way. I believe if Super 7 made SM in Mattel's factory and told everyone that,SM would be GUARANTEED made!

Well, that’s why your whole premise is off base.

First, they will not and can not produce as many as Mattel did. Their audience isn’t that big. Now maybe everyone who wanted one has one or the majority as you say, but that’s anecdotal at best. Not fact based at all.

Second, Super 7 isn’t on Mattel’s level. They don’t produce quantities on that level on their best products...talk to Brian, he’ll tell you...which leads to the next point;

Third, Because they don’t produce at those quantities, they will NEVER produce any products out of the Mattel factory...their minimum SKU quantities are just too large...again, ask Brian. He’ll tell you.

Lastly, you’re right. In fact, Brian said the exact same thing...they are focused on getting SM out right now. BUT, they are getting lots of request for a reissue...lots. So if the possible “kickstarter” like campaign is successful, there’s a very real possibility we could see another CG in the future.

And just for your clarification, CG will be different...probably with a few updates to sweeten the pot if it happens. Why? Two reasons; Super 7 doesn’t have access to Mattel’s molds (see previous comment about the different factory’s) and those molds are likely destroyed by now as Mattel’s factory recycles molds after non-use of 2-3 years due to mold space storage and regular maintenance of the molds (rust protection and prevention). That’s why only the first figs they produced out the gate were Mattel molds. Some of those were already recycled hence the resculpted weapons.

...just ask Brian, he told me, he’ll tell you too!

It might not but Brian is considering it.

If there is enough interest, it’ll go...and probably be upgraded.

"considering it" is what a lot of toy makers would say for obvious reasons. Nothing should ever be off the table but you are seriously having a laugh if you think they would re-released or redo/update the Classics Castle Grayskull. It's just not going to happen. You were being humoured dude. Even I who work for these companies will get humoured. Toy makers want to appear to be up for anything...as they should be. ;)

Well, that’s why your whole premise is off base.

First, they will not and can not produce as many as Mattel did. Their audience isn’t that big. Now maybe everyone who wanted one has one or the majority as you say, but that’s anecdotal at best. Not fact based at all.

Second, Super 7 isn’t on Mattel’s level. They don’t produce quantities on that level on their best products...talk to Brian, he’ll tell you...which leads to the next point;

Third, Because they don’t produce at those quantities, they will NEVER produce any products out of the Mattel factory...their minimum SKU quantities are just too large...again, ask Brian. He’ll tell you.

Lastly, you’re right. In fact, Brian said the exact same thing...they are focused on getting SM out right now. BUT, they are getting lots of request for a reissue...lots. So if the possible “kickstarter” like campaign is successful, there’s a very real possibility we could see another CG in the future.

And just for your clarification, CG will be different...probably with a few updates to sweeten the pot if it happens. Why? Two reasons; Super 7 doesn’t have access to Mattel’s molds (see previous comment about the different factory’s) and those molds are likely destroyed by now as Mattel’s factory recycles molds after non-use of 2-3 years due to mold space storage and regular maintenance of the molds (rust protection and prevention). That’s why only the first figs they produced out the gate were Mattel molds. Some of those were already recycled hence the resculpted weapons.

...just ask Brian, he told me, he’ll tell you too!

So you'd be willing to pay $500 (plus shipping) for Super 7's re-release of Castle Grayskull? Because that is what it will cost considering what it will take to re-produce this set again and at even more limited numbers. It's not happening bro! You're better off just buying one off the secondary market and be guaranteed a QUALITY made playset made in Mattel's factory.

A Super 7 CG re-release is way too risky! The majority of MOTU collectors are not gonna go back and re-buy the Castle (even at $400-500 price tag) when we already have a proven quality made CG made by Mattel.Like Eamon said, He really did humor you.

Snake Mountain on the other hand will sell because nobody has one.

Last edited:
Lol! You guys are very very funny. Work for them or not, I never said the damn thing was a gaurantee. I said the guy considering it. If it’s in a Kickstarter like platform and no one jumps on, then obviously it won’t happen :ohbfrank: Is that hard to comprehend???

Ive been collecting for more than 30 years. I certainly know this is a company tactic. But I also talked to several different reps at different companies this year and they were all referencing what Hasbro did and how that price point and it’s success opens up possibilities. THATS ALL!

As far as the price point in the aftermarket...
D479F86A-FE99-4FB7-8BB3-F2A636FDC38D.jpeg

And I’m ok with the quality of the MOTU Super 7 product. I wasn’t, as I mentioned, a collector of the classic line. So I don’t have the Mattel snobby attitude toward what S7 is producing. Not saying you are wrong for having it as you witnessed the apparent drop in quality. I don’t have that baggage so i give zero F$&/) about it. :lol

And I do give Brian a little more credibility when he says he’s considering it as I don’t see very many company owners on the floor at SDCC chopping it up with fans. He might have stood there for 40 minutes lying to my face but I don’t think so. He didn’t come across as a lying trumptard type person to me. So even if there’s a 30% chance, then it’s a chance. Nothing more.

I’m simply telling you what the man said. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Considering it is one thing,but actually doing it and it being cost effective for the fan base is another thing.While,I get what you are saying,you are still missing the point.

Same here......I rediscovered my love of the MOTU line with the Netflix ep of 'The Toys That Made Us' so missed out on the modern line and first wave of the S7 filmation line. Paid more for that version of He-man and skeletor that I wll admit, but loving the line. Definitely in for Snake Mountain and re-released Castle Grayskull

Been rewatching season 2 of the He-man cartoons via DVD = great fun though a little repetitive now

I got a sealed Classics Castle Grayskull for the original retail price last week. I almost bought one during the Mattel super sale several years back, but couldn't figure out how to get the free shipping to work at the time and it sold out. Glad to finally have it in my collection.

I got a sealed Classics Castle Grayskull for the original retail price last week. I almost bought one during the Mattel super sale several years back, but couldn't figure out how to get the free shipping to work at the time and it sold out. Glad to finally have it in my collection.

May I ask how you managed such a good price? Good, compared to ebay prices now, I mean...lol

Back