Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that MOTU Classics Snake Mountain looks just like the Snake Mountain in the recent Art book..same pull off top too :)

Mattel would have a lot better rep if they weren't so upfront about things. I honestly think having a "face" to the company just hurts. Acknowledging the things that we find irritating but proceding to do them anyways is just annoying. I'd prefer a faceless organization that I felt was oblivious to my wants. That sounds weird I know. I think that's why people speak generally positively about foreign toy companies, because they don't even attempt to communicate with fans so their intentions are unknown.

Then you get the complaints like you see from Hot toys collectors.

If it was my company I'd take the route of hot toys. It's not worth having to deal with the back biting. Always going to be people complaining.

I have a loose OG He-Man collection am I allowed to play with you guys ?
50a1b20896ef7f15f1a92d1db4d982c9.jpg
11dc3a346b90c97c10e772f110bd92c9.jpg
1d7711c5b20250f509044f1c31c5ebc8.jpg

Apparently all three Power-Con exclusives will ONLY be available at Power-Con. I'm not sure how this decision fits into their stated desire of making collectors feel like kings?

That's why they are called Exclusives... :rotfl

It seems pretty straightforward. Power-Con is NOT run by a non-profit entity. It's a business venture. Although this is bad news for collectors, who have been asked to buy figures they didn't necessarily want year after year in order to get the ones they did want, it's good news for those who stand to profit from the convention.

There's dozens of exclusives from several Cons I don't or cannot attend that I've missed... If people really want them bad, there's ways to get them... either ask somebody that's attending to get one for you, or go to the convention, or buy them on eBay, or... move on and not get them... :dunno

Someone has started a petition about the Power-Con only exclusives:

https://www.change.org/p/mattel-make-all-convention-exclusives-available-to-everyone

That's one of the stupidest petition I've ever seen... and I've seen plenty! *facepalm*

Don't be so quick to declare that there will be no lights.:wink1:
Oh snap!! :clap

Wow, really liking the look of Snake Mountain, but I think that cements it for me - I'm pretty much out of this line. I was thinking about finally picking up Castle Grayskull, but if I did that, I'd have to get Snake Mountain... and honestly, I don't really have a place for either. Especially if I have any hope of convincing my wife to finally let me have a USS Flagg. :)

I would, eventually, like to get the vintage versions, I think. I'm not sure if I mentioned in my last post, but if anyone has minty vintage MOTU figures, I'd consider trading my MOTUC stuff for them. The only MOTUC figures I'm keeping are basically the guys from the first two original waves and the Filmation intro. And maybe the original Horde guys. :)

I LOVE that this line is still going strong, though. Honestly, I had my doubts about 2016 but it's looking pretty spectacular. The Filmation style figures aren't for me, but they look great.

Yep, after all the doom and gloom from last year, it's nice to see MOTU is still going places!

Then you get the complaints like you see from Hot toys collectors.

If it was my company I'd take the route of hot toys. It's not worth having to deal with the back biting. Always going to be people complaining.

That's the reason Sideshow doesn't post here any more...

That's why they are called Exclusives... :rotfl

There's dozens of exclusives from several Cons I don't or cannot attend that I've missed... If people really want them bad, there's ways to get them... either ask somebody that's attending to get one for you, or go to the convention, or buy them on eBay, or... move on and not get them... :dunno

That's one of the stupidest petition I've ever seen... and I've seen plenty! *facepalm*

Oh snap!! :clap

Yep, after all the doom and gloom from last year, it's nice to see MOTU is still going places!

That's the reason Sideshow doesn't post here any more...

I think everyone understands the concept of exclusives, but thank you for taking the time to attempt to enlighten everyone and add something meaningful to the discussion. MOTUC is unique in that it owes it's existence to subscribers. During the past seven years subscribers have had access to exclusive figures through mattycollector.com. This decision reverses seven years of precedent at a time when Mattel's stated objective is to make collectors feel like kings. It's also sub drive time once again. It's probably not the best time to marginalize subscribers who have loyally kept this line afloat. This poorly conceived decision particularly stings international customers who have been paying a high price to support the line for years. It only benefits the owner of Power-Con, which is a business venture and not a charity.

Looks like they are trying to figure out ways to keep the exclusives an attractive reason to come to the Con (besides the fact that it's just a lot of fun) AND try to get it into fan's hands who can't get there for one reason or another.

There's no perfect answer here. I can understand people being sad or mad. I've been there before, too. But I also understand why exclusives exist. Transformers and GI Joe fans learned to live with it. I'm sure we can, too.

Looks like they are trying to figure out ways to keep the exclusives an attractive reason to come to the Con (besides the fact that it's just a lot of fun) AND try to get it into fan's hands who can't get there for one reason or another.

There's no perfect answer here. I can understand people being sad or mad. I've been there before, too. But I also understand why exclusives exist. Transformers and GI Joe fans learned to live with it. I'm sure we can, too.

Retail toy lines aren't based entirely upon a subscription model. This decision erodes the foundation of MOTUC. For years the subscription has been pushed as being for those diehard fans who want everything. Now that has been turned on it's head all for the benefit of a little con. I'm at a loss as how this can be remotely seen as a good decision for Mattel or the die hard supporters of the line.

It only benefits the owner of Power-Con, which is a business venture and not a charity.

Mattycollector.com isn't a charity either...
If Mattel wants to change their model, they have every right to do so... It sucks, we might not like it, but it is what it is...

Power-Con is organized by several people... Are you suggesting Val will become rich overnight for selling these at the Con? [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Do you think Mattel is giving these to them for free?

Mattycollector.com isn't a charity either...
If Mattel wants to change their model, they have every right to do so... It sucks, we might not like it, but it is what it is...

Power-Con is organized by several people... Are you suggesting Val will become rich overnight for selling these at the Con? [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Do you think Mattel is giving these to them for free?

Once again, thank you adding so much intellectual discourse to this debate. I appreciate the countless hours you've undoubtedly spent framing your careful responses. Now that the polite niceties are out of the way why don't we begin?

Yes, Mattel has every right to change their model. Yet the crux of the matter is they have not. They are still relying on their subscription model and plan to for the Thundercats line as well. As I explained in my last post, convention only con exclusives erode the foundation of this model. There is no measurable benefit to Mattel or there customers to offer convention only exclusives. Even Scott, for all his blunders, was wise enough to see that would be a huge mistake and refused to go down that road with MOTUC.

Is Val getting rich? That would be a ridiculous assertion; however, Val does, according to Emiliano, make a nice profit of his website each month. Power-Con is another opportunity to add to his annual income if it were to be successful. Based upon Val's own words he specifically wanted these particular three exclusives at Power-Con because he knows there is demand for them. In short the more money Power-Con makes the more Val makes. Fans have been supporting this line for seven years. Now they are expected to support Val and Power-Con too? Now that is ridiculous.

Once again, thank you adding so much intellectual discourse to this debate. I appreciate the countless hours you've undoubtedly spent framing your careful responses. Now that the polite niceties are out of the way why don't we begin?

:wave

Yes, Mattel has every right to change their model. Yet the crux of the matter is they have not. They are still relying on their subscription model and plan to for the Thundercats line as well. As I explained in my last post, convention only con exclusives erode the foundation of this model. There is no measurable benefit to Mattel or there customers to offer convention only exclusives. Even Scott, for all his blunders, was wise enough to see that would be a huge mistake and refused to go down that road with MOTUC.

:dunno

Is Val getting rich? That would be a ridiculous assertion; however, Val does, according to Emiliano, make a nice profit of his website each month. Power-Con is another opportunity to add to his annual income if it were to be successful. Based upon Val's own words he specifically wanted these particular three exclusives at Power-Con because he knows there is demand for them. In short the more money Power-Con makes the more Val makes. Fans have been supporting this line for seven years. Now they are expected to support Val and Power-Con too? Now that is ridiculous.

Well,
I'm not going down the tired, baseless, useless, pointless "Val said-Emiliano said" road... to me that's one of the most ridiculous things to ever happen around MOTU and to it's completely irrelevant to the brand and just an exercise in futility... I won't take either Val's or Emiliano's word on what happens or what they say happens behind the scenes because honestly, none or few of us know the whole story, and we don't need to either.

What I do know, is that it takes A LOT of money and resources to put together a Con, no matter how small and in reality, nothing is expected of the fans, believe it or not, you have the amazing freedom of NOT buying this line, or the exclusives... I know, it sounds crazy, but YOU have options!

First world problems man... I'm telling you!
:D

Out of the 3, I like Camo Khan and wouldn't mind having him since TECHNICALLY he's a vintage figure. The others are mini-comic variations which I can live without. The only issue with the Camo Khan revealed is his weapon color. This particular variation of Camo Khan should have a brown weapon.

EDIT: My bad, This variation of Camo Khan DOES have the right color weapon.

I think Red Beast-man is my favorite, he'll look great next to Acala Skeletor and blue Mer-Man. We need to round out the mini-comic variant Evil Warrior faction, I think.

I don't think I really want green Granny. I had a hard enough time justifying regular Granamyr. Maybe if I didn't have him, as the green looks better.

I think everyone understands the concept of exclusives, but thank you for taking the time to attempt to enlighten everyone and add something meaningful to the discussion. MOTUC is unique in that it owes it's existence to subscribers. During the past seven years subscribers have had access to exclusive figures through mattycollector.com. This decision reverses seven years of precedent at a time when Mattel's stated objective is to make collectors feel like kings. It's also sub drive time once again. It's probably not the best time to marginalize subscribers who have loyally kept this line afloat. This poorly conceived decision particularly stings international customers who have been paying a high price to support the line for years. It only benefits the owner of Power-Con, which is a business venture and not a charity.

Except for the first two years, the toys r us exclusives variations of the SDCC exclusives to the Halloween charity figures...

From the start of this line mattel has had lots of rules that changed. They have labeled it evolution of the line. Whatever you want to call it there's been an exception to everything. From the no chase figures(that red hordak was the first I think) to the promise that spirit of grayskull would never be produced..to the figures never going to retail (battle armor faker anyone?) to big lots, and hundreds of other things.

The figures have never been fully obtainable via sub.

I agree.

I empathize with the people who are completists that would like to own these 3 figures without having to go to PowerCon. I am all for Mattel joining forces with PowerCon to create an exclusive. The problem I see is we went from a tiny Skeletor sword (that was a variation in functionality from the one EVERYONE has) as an exclusive, to THREE (not one), THREE figures. Actually, TWO full figures and and OVER-SIZED BEAST as exclusives for a convention. I'm sorry but that's just another ****** move to add to the ever growing list, not just on Mattel's part, but Val's too. I'm sure he knew it would stir up controversy, but in his and Mattel's eyes it's creating buzz.

Like I said before. I can't see Mattel going into production on all three of these items, and not having more than enough to go around. Unless it was another lie, we were all led to believe that a production run of just one figure is in the multi-thousands. I may be wrong, but regardless of what Val and his cronies are telling fans, Mattel just might offer them on Mattycollector at some point. Worst case scenario, Mattel will allow all of the stock to be sold at PowerCon. Whatever is left will be sold to the people (on the .org) via Markatisu, unfortunately at a substantial mark up.

On the other hand, the absolute worst case scenario and most realistic outcome would be that SCALPOR will buy a ton of them from PowerCon and sell them on eBay at a RIDICULOUS mark up, and I think that is what many fans are kinda pissed off about since there is no definite plan for Mattel to make them available after PowerCon. The brite side to this is EVERYONE can get them, not just .org members.

Which brings me to another thing that's messed up and demonstrates neither party is looking out for ALL the fans who want these is, Not everyone is registered on He-Man.org, and so far, the only solutions being offered by Val is to find a member of the .org that's going to PowerCon who is willing to help out, or get in touch with Markatisu. So if you were one of the MANY people banned from the site or you don't know Markatisu personally, your shyte out of luck.

But I definitely think three full figures as exclusives is WAY TOO many for a tiny convention, and that these three figures should be offered to subbers during Early Access first, then All Access on mattycollector. PowerCon should have an exclusive that isn't something everyone must have. This kind of reminds me of when Mattel sold Shadow Weaver as a sub exclusive.

EDIT:

Conspiracy Theory for July 14, 2015:

I am hearing through the grapevine that The folks involved with PowerCon are going to buy up all the exclusive figures upfront from Mattel at a discount, then sell them for a profit at PowerCon. (Maybe that is what Val meant when he said, " Their creation and production is a Power-Con expense"). This is all fine and dandy, but I'm willing to bet they will try and keep as much stock as possible so they could then be sold on ebay at a huge mark-up, that profit going in Val's and a few other's pockets.

I have a loose OG He-Man collection am I allowed to play with you guys ?
50a1b20896ef7f15f1a92d1db4d982c9.jpg
11dc3a346b90c97c10e772f110bd92c9.jpg
1d7711c5b20250f509044f1c31c5ebc8.jpg

Very nice. Let me know if you want to trade some of that for some MOTUC. :)

There's a Vintage Collectibles Thread in here which you might like, btw...

So what new figures revealed are Vintage and vintage filmation (not pop filmation) ?

I have no idea who some of these characters are and am not sure if they are POP or the original line or what.

Back