Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw the Pixel Dan review of Sssqueeze. Was starting to warm to it and after initially being disappointed they went the vintage route. Then he did a side by side comparison with the 200X staction; yet another figure I'm skipping :(

Just saw the Pixel Dan review of Sssqueeze. Was starting to warm to it and after initially being disappointed they went the vintage route. Then he did a side by side comparison with the 200X staction; yet another figure I'm skipping :(

you gotta remember too that this line is "MOTU Classics" based off the original vintage Toyline....ALL figures should look "updated" like their vintage counterpart.I can see maybe giving Sssqueeze an extra head etc,but the vintage head must come first as it has been since the line began in 2008...

yeah; even though we have a wonderful 200xx sub on the way it seems like beating a dead horse to complain about a figure being too vintage. i get aesthetics and that this line isn't for everyone but it should be apparent now what they're going for with each figure.

Who knows, maybe there'll be a second 200xx head pack and we'll get a more serious looking head for ssqueeze but i'm fine with him as is.

I understand what you're both saying and tbh I'm usually happier with the vintage approach, as that is the MOTU iteration I have the most nostalgia for. However vintage Sssqueeze had a lackluster character design imo and would have really benefited from a bit of 200X influence, the way many other figures in the line have. If it had an extra head, as Teemu suggested, I probably would have picked it up because my main criticism is that the vintage head looks a bit too goofy.

I'm a vintage purist, but even I wouldn't mind a little bit of deviation. I'm talking VERY LITTLE. The 4H could have made the head on Squeeze a LITTLE bit more cool looking, rather than just a straight up copy of the vintage head. Clawful was the same thing, they could have added some spice to it. If I recall, they did it with Webstor by giving him a LITTLE bit of 200x influence, but at first glance it still looks like vintage Webstor. The Buzz Off head should have been a hybrid of both 200x and vintage IMO.

The thing that bothers me is the lack of consistency in the MOTUC line. Depending on who's sculpting the head, it's hit or miss. Jitsu's head is ridiculously SMALL and TOO MUCH creative deviation went into that design. Then you have Gwildor, who looks like NECA totally sculpted him. So again, I'm ok with very little tweaks to spice up a figures facial design, but the horsemen seem to go from one extreme to the next.

Oh yeah, almost forgot Bow. Every other POP figure looks as if they jumped out of the cartoon, except for him. ;)

I think it's the 5th Horseman that leaves to his own interpretations...(He sculpted heads of Bow,Jitsu,Fisto and a few others)

Thanks to Kevin Kosse and Jim Pansen,I get a more definitive Jisto and Fisto....

100_7185.JPG100_7186.JPG100_7187.JPG

:exactly:

That Fisto head looks almost Filmation-ish, I like it. The Jitsu head is very vintage looking. :)

I think it's the 5th Horseman that leaves to his own interpretations...(He sculpted heads of Bow,Jitsu,Fisto and a few others)

Interestingly its that guys heads that I like the most actually. But I'm very much in the camp that prefers more of 200X/80's hybrid than the full on 80's updating a lot of the characters get (and what leaves so many looking lackluster to me).

Interestingly its that guys heads that I like the most actually. But I'm very much in the camp that prefers more of 200X/80's hybrid than the full on 80's updating a lot of the characters get (and what leaves so many looking lackluster to me).

Agree completely. They are the best heads in my opinion. Wish the 5th horsemen did them all.

Man. I am so happy that you guys aren't designing the classics figures. My love for classics is entirely based on the vintage looks. All of the characters that have had 200X elements are the worse for it in my opinion

Man. I am so happy that you guys aren't designing the classics figures. My love for classics is entirely based on the vintage looks. All of the characters that have had 200X elements are the worse for it in my opinion

same here......

As I mentioned earlier I have more of an attachment to the vintage style, but the 200X influenced aspects have improved some of the more bland characters. Clamp-Champ is one of the best examples of this as I really like the MOTUC version a lot more than the vintage. I'm guessing that he had a fifth Horseman head sculpt too.

As I mentioned earlier I have more of an attachment to the vintage style, but the 200X influenced aspects have improved some of the more bland characters. Clamp-Champ is one of the best examples of this as I really like the MOTUC version a lot more than the vintage. I'm guessing that he had a fifth Horseman head sculpt too.

I'm going to guess the MOTUC Clamp Champ's head was sculpted buy one of the original horsemen. The fifth horsemen seems to over emphasize things like jaw and cheek bones, chiseled appearance, not smooth . Generally makes heads look NOTHING like their vintage counterparts. I could be wrong but, this is what I have noticed.

I love the added detail that 200X brings to the table. Fisto is probably my favorite figure because you get both the vintage and 200X version in one package. The classic Fisto head is pretty awesome, but I can see why some of you prefer a straight up vintage look.

I'm really looking forward to the 200X head sculpt pack though. My goofy Clawful and sappy Snout Spout need upgraded big time.

I love the added detail that 200X brings to the table. Fisto is probably my favorite figure because you get both the vintage and 200X version in one package. The classic Fisto head is pretty awesome, but I can see why some of you prefer a straight up vintage look.

I'm really looking forward to the 200X head sculpt pack though. My goofy Clawful and sappy Snout Spout need upgraded big time.

I could not agree more.

I'm a vintage purist, but even I wouldn't mind a little bit of deviation. I'm talking VERY LITTLE. The 4H could have made the head on Squeeze a LITTLE bit more cool looking, rather than just a straight up copy of the vintage head. Clawful was the same thing, they could have added some spice to it. If I recall, they did it with Webstor by giving him a LITTLE bit of 200x influence, but at first glance it still looks like vintage Webstor. The Buzz Off head should have been a hybrid of both 200x and vintage IMO.

The thing that bothers me is the lack of consistency in the MOTUC line. Depending on who's sculpting the head, it's hit or miss. Jitsu's head is ridiculously SMALL and TOO MUCH creative deviation went into that design. Then you have Gwildor, who looks like NECA totally sculpted him. So again, I'm ok with very little tweaks to spice up a figures facial design, but the horsemen seem to go from one extreme to the next.

Oh yeah, almost forgot Bow. Every other POP figure looks as if they jumped out of the cartoon, except for him. ;)

The only thing 200x on Webstor is the legs on his backpack. But Mantenna got a bit of the 200x treatment on his head.

Maybe they'll offer another 200x headpack down the line and include a head for Squeeze

Back