Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes,they do...but there would not be a MOTU Classics line without the subbers,that's the whole point

And are you sure there would be if all the DOS sales disappeared? They need all the sales they can get.

Otherwise they give the stock away for pennies to BigLots.

And are you sure there would be if all the DOS sales disappeared? They need all the sales they can get.

Otherwise they give the stock away for pennies to BigLots.

according to Scott,day of sales are just icing on the cake..

The Subs cover everything apparently

according to Scott,day of sales are just icing on the cake..

The Subs cover everything apparently

I know he's said that. He wants us all to sub, but I doubt it's true. They need those sales. In business there's no icing, at a minimum it's what we call "profit."

yes,they do...but there would not be a MOTU Classics line without the subbers,that's the whole point

I disagree. The line had no sub when it starts. The sales raised, the sellout times were faster and faster, the demand grew more and more in 2009 and Mattel decided to offer a sub. The first time of the sub, there wasn't any pressure on DOS buyer. They produced Trap Jaw and Battle Cat for a second time due the fast sellouts. Things gone smoothly in 2010 and especially in 2011. Then the message came, that 2012 sub sales went below 2011.

It was that time, where Mattel puts more pressure on DOS buyers and try more to force them into a sub. It didn't work. 2013 sub sales were below 2012 and the line was officially in danger.

The sub system does not rescue the line.

Its hard to say though if the sub system is what caused reduced sales, or the character selection, or any number of the many issues that has plagued this line.

Clearly though, subs keep going down, despite what scare tactics Scott has tried.

I disagree. The line had no sub when it starts. The sales raised, the sellout times were faster and faster, the demand grew more and more in 2009 and Mattel decided to offer a sub. The first time of the sub, there wasn't any pressure on DOS buyer. They produced Trap Jaw and Battle Cat for a second time due the fast sellouts. Things gone smoothly in 2010 and especially in 2011. Then the message came, that 2012 sub sales went below 2011.

It was that time, where Mattel puts more pressure on DOS buyers and try more to force them into a sub. It didn't work. 2013 sub sales were below 2012 and the line was officially in danger.

The sub system does not rescue the line.

sell-outs were fake,creating false demand...because everything (2011 and under) came back for sale later ;)

The Subs were created to make the customer buy everything and ensure the lesser demanded figures would sell

Everything still comes back for sale. I still think the sellouts are fake. The love the collector plate mentality.

The subscription model gave Mattel a way to treat end customers like retailers, get them to promise to buy 'x' amount of stuff, then turn the machines on. That way they don't have to worry if 'a' character or 'b' character sells better than 'c' character, because they all sell the same.

Mattel just didn't want to or try to be a direct seller to the customer, because all they know is how to sell to retailers. Mattel also used this strategy to help pad the line with filler figures, like Snake Man at Arms, i.e. heave re-use and low tooling and development figures that sell the same amount as newly tooled figure.

If it were a smaller company, like a Sideshow or NECA, things would've been different.

The subscription model gave Mattel a way to treat end customers like retailers, get them to promise to buy 'x' amount of stuff, then turn the machines on. That way they don't have to worry if 'a' character or 'b' character sells better than 'c' character, because they all sell the same.

Exactly. I say this all the time.

Mattel will eventually need to sell the rights to MOTU. They have absolutely no handle on what made it great and where it needs to go to be better. The only good thing they had going was the 4H and when that partnership wraps up, it's back to the dustbin.

I wish they would give the comic book rights to Dark Horse. They we could get some great Frazetta and Howard influenced fantasy. THAT would be an era which could enhance the property!

If it were a smaller company, like a Sideshow or NECA, things would've been different.

Sideshow sells $100+ 12" figures and $300+ statues. They aren't even comparable to Mattel selling action figures.

NECA makes some great products but let's not pretend they're the be-all end-all when it comes to action figures. They couldn't even keep the TMNT line going past the first 4 Turtles and April. Remember those awesome 4 Horsemen prototypes of Shredder and the Foot Soldiers that never saw the light of day? They also run many of their lines on endless variants of the main characters. Terminator, Dutch from Predator, and Robocop are just some of the examples.

There's no way NECA would keep MOTU sales strong enough at retail for them to justify making 100+ figures like Mattel has. The line would have been canned years ago and the He-man and Skeletor variants would outnumber the unique characters.

Last edited:
Sideshow sells $100+ 12" figures and $300+ statues. They aren't even comparable to Mattel selling action figures.

NECA makes some great products but let's not pretend they're the be-all end-all when it comes to action figures. They couldn't even keep the TMNT line going past the first 4 Turtles and April. Remember those awesome 4 Horsemen prototypes of Shredder and the Foot Soldiers that never saw the light of day? They also run many of their lines on endless variants of the main characters. Terminator, Dutch from Predator, and Robocop are just some of the examples.

There's no way NECA would keep MOTU sales strong enough at retail for them to justify making 100+ figures like Mattel has. The line would have been canned years ago and the He-man and Skeletor variants would outnumber the unique characters.

Yeah,NECA's biggest flaws is never expanding a line much (with few exceptions).Evil Dead 2 could of added some more characters and they pretty much blew their opportunity with the turtles line.The Rambo line is at crawling pace,with no sign of doing anything else but just doing Rambo,Rambo,and Rambo

NECA most of the is good for a couple characters per license and then it sails away.They figures are good,but many times overrated

Well.. sometimes neca's QC is garbage too. The recent aliens figures legs deforming under the weight of the figure is a pretty good example.

yeah,the new warped, gummy Alien figure sucks....the marines are cool though

Since NECA's strategy is usually to do figures with heavy parts re-use, MOTUC would be right up there alley. And since a good portion of MOTUC has had garbage QC, I don't see that being an issue.

Back