Media Mass Effect 4 announced!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't know if this is breaking news or just breaking to me but glad to hear it is in the works!

We knew that Mass Effect 4 was coming, we (or at least I) don't know much beyond that though. Other than they already have my money.

Despite any bumps along the way, a new Bioware game is always something I will buy day one, so I'm really intrigued to see what this new ip turns out to be, as well.

Yea, January 2016 sounds about right, they usually release Mass Effect in January so that makes sense.

Is this going to be a prequel or sequel to the original games?

It's been heavily implied that it will be set after the events of Mass Effect 3, though it won't be directly continuing that story. I'm reeeeeeally excited about this game since I'm a huge ME fan. I'm going to remain optimistic at the moment about the fact that development has been moved to the Montreal studio, since that means the Edmonton studio is free to work on a new IP. I always get worried when development of an ongoing series is taken over to a new team, because often the subsequent games don't quite capture the 'feel' of the original games. But I have faith in Bioware, and I'm very excited to see what type of game their new IP is going to be.

It's been heavily implied that it will be set after the events of Mass Effect 3, though it won't be directly continuing that story. I'm reeeeeeally excited about this game since I'm a huge ME fan. I'm going to remain optimistic at the moment about the fact that development has been moved to the Montreal studio, since that means the Edmonton studio is free to work on a new IP. I always get worried when development of an ongoing series is taken over to a new team, because often the subsequent games don't quite capture the 'feel' of the original games. But I have faith in Bioware, and I'm very excited to see what type of game their new IP is going to be.

I won't nerdrage if they have to play loose with the endings of number 3 to make 4 happen, but I'll be interested to see how they do it.

What were the options again?
* No more AI in the world
* Shepard becomes the Lawnmower Man god
* Synthesis where everything becomes Matrixy
* I should go now ....and let the Reapers win

If they have to pick one and set it a couple of hundred years later, then I guess number 1 is probably least changing of the general world
- just no AI, Reaper or Geth in the game essentially. And they can still do VI robots everywhere and even have stories where VI makes the leap to AI

The other options mean the world would play way too differently than the Mass Effect world we know and love.

I won't nerdrage if they have to play loose with the endings of number 3 to make 4 happen, but I'll be interested to see how they do it.

What were the options again?
* No more AI in the world
* Shepard becomes the Lawnmower Man god
* Synthesis where everything becomes Matrixy
* I should go now ....and let the Reapers win

If they have to pick one and set it a couple of hundred years later, then I guess number 1 is probably least changing of the general world
- just no AI, Reaper or Geth in the game essentially. And they can still do VI robots everywhere and even have stories where VI makes the leap to AI

The other options mean the world would play way too differently than the Mass Effect world we know and love.

Exactly, I agree with everything you just said. I really wish they had stopped and thought about the fact that those endings make it really difficult to do sequels. That's probably my main gripe with the endings above anything else. It's so hard to continue on from them without having to either disregard or change the events that happened. The destroy ending certainly makes the most sense in terms of furthering the story, but then people who chose other endings are made to feel like their choices didn't matter.

Ultimately, I think what they have revealed about the plot/setting for ME4 is the right call. Set it further in the future and in another region of space so we can have a fresh start.

I loved the trilogy, going to be a bit bittersweet playing as a new character since I always used the default Commander Shep.

Back