Marvel vs Star Wars - What to do??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raven said:
carbo-fation, just as a personal preference, do you like the vs pieces, comiquettes, or PF's the best and why?

I'd definately agree with you on the PF Star Wars. I do like the Vader (and will one day own him), but Han and Luke were not as good and I could definately see passing on them for some time to come. Obi is a must if I own Vader, so I'll probably buy both around the same time. Not in a big hurry on that though as the exclusives didn't blow me away. I'll probably pose them in the iconic pose anyway, so why would I need the exclusives? GG, well he's just so darn BIG and the arm fragility issue has me worried about breaking if I moved. I'm this close to ordering the Luke and Yoda PF though. Ah, waffling nothing like it! :rotfl
:lol I know the feeling of temptation all too well. I have so far all the SW PF exclusives and I don't regret having them. GG is fragile, but if you have a safe spot for him, then I wouldn't worry too much. You can always buy a case to protect.
As for your question, I like my vs. pieces the most. They are just so detailed and just capture the "essence" of each character so well. I like the PFs also, but some do have minor flaws that can be very irritating. As for Luke and Yoda, unless you want the exclusive, I'd go to ebay or a board retailers for the regular ones. They go for a much lower price.

Raven said:
Wolverine's so popular, but there's like so much product of him already out there! :lol

Indeed

nevertheless I saw at SF that Bowen start to work for another 2 wolverine statues(one museum pose, one action pose) :rotfl

sorry, no offense Randy, but after Sideshow's incredible ultimate wolverine; in my opinion to sculpt another wolverine so shortly is just a futile effort.
I would much appreciate and buy if Bowen come up with another character like Pyslocke or some other character.

I would go for the Marvel items. If you love both, and the market doesn't meet your expectations down the line, you will still be in love with the Marvel items...

As for which line in Marvel to pursue: I buy my favorites out of each line. The collector in me loves the VS. line (F'n Spidey/Venom Bust excluded) but there is no compare to the Wolverine Comiquette, and the Doom PF. So you would really be doing yourself an injustice by going after only 1 Marvel line.

As far as Star Wars goes, I have purchased/have on order Darth Exc. / Obi Exc (natch with Darth) Greivous Exc. (AWESOME, and favorite so far) Fett Exc.

I don't see why you can't just pick the ones you like out of both lines? In reality, your intuition of what you like will probably match most collectors, and therefore lead you to purchase the items that will be the most popular (read: Best Investment) down the road.

Having made the choice myself I'm going more twords the Marvel side of the coin. When I did a comparision of the two with pros and cons, Marvel came out ahead for me.
Granted I will most likely buy at least one of SS's stormtroopers when they decide to do them. And I am keeping my Jaba display on order because of the size of him, to me you really dont need any figures around him to make him a cool display. And I also ordered the Leia GG statue and a couple of the animated statue versions too.
But when it comes to SS their Marvel line just impresses me more than their SW line.

Ok guys, I know this thread is about Marvel vs Star Wars, but being as they're getting close to release and there's the possibility my number *could* come up for them, I have to ask about a couple others. Plus, I want to try to shift away from the "what do you like more" to "what should I get first" mentality. Being as I want them all, it's just too hard to choose on that basis alone. So again, this is about what you think will be the hard to finds vs the easier finds so that finances can be saved and (hopefully) not miss out on anything in the long run.

From the moment I saw the Lurtz statue, even though my LOTR collection is very small compared to Star Wars and others, it just impressed the heck out of me and knew I had to have it. I put myself on the wait list for the exclusive. Now, granted the regular version has been a slow sell and probably will be able to score a good deal on ebay or another board member later, but what do you think about the exclusive? The bow looks extremely nice, and if they added the arrows for the exclusive alone, all the better. However, being a minor character and with no new movies coming (at least until, eventually, the Hobbit) do you think this will be kind of low key and available for some time to come for a fairly low price? I LOVE the sculpt, and in one form or another I must own this, but if patience is the key to a better price, I'll wait. Or snipe. :D

Also, I'm a big Buffy and Angel fan, though I don't own much merchandise (just like the show) but if I were to own anything, the ultimate would be the PF's. I'm on the wait list for the exclusive Buffy on that too. Unfortunately, all is not well in Sunnydale, because she's not turning out that hot so far what with the hair and "uni-boob". Hopefully that will be fixed by time of release. Still, I could see the popularity alone making this a hard find. I may do a wait and see for the final product, but would like to at least have some idea of what to do for if/when I get that notice.

So what do you think? Are these exclusives "must buy now's" or "you can waits"

Again thanks!!!

Re: Just added...more choices!

Well adding on to the last post, now that the PF Lurtz has been released and there's nothing but positive reviews as far as the eye can see...do you think these are going to dry up fast? Normally I would think Wolverine would be the more popular, but others are thinking Lurtz is going to turn in the next Cave Troll or Balrog, and with these positive reviews who knows they might be right.

I'm trying to decide between Lurtz and Wolverine comiquette right now. Which do you think is going to go up faster and therefore be harder to find later on for a decent price? There are only 750 exclusive Lurtz, but then there's only 500 exclusive Wolverines. I want both eventually but which would you get right now?

And then there's the Buffy PF which will be shipping soon too. I'm slightly less enthused about that mainly for the hair and 'boob' issues, but then she could be another 12" Spike and go through the roof. Kind of doubt that, but you never know.

Anyone have some more food for thought here? Thanks

Khev said:
Don't drop either line. Just get PF Luke/Yoda and PF Captain America. Then get PF Aragorn or Gandalf when they're announced and call it a day. :)

i hope they come out with an Aragon that rocks!!! it will make me jump on it like a fat kid on a twinkie.

I think SS could just release the Aragorn they showed at Comic Con and that would be PF enough. That thing was BEAUTIFUL. Wouldn't that just be the most evil joke if that's what they intended all along? :rotfl :rolleyes: :monkey1

I love both lines, which is why I sacrificed by cancelling my Terminator 12" line and the LOTR 12" line, so I can afford them both.

Then again, I added myself to the waitlist for the Lurtz Exclusive because he is just so awesome to not pass up.

Star Wars...I have a few Marvel pieces and love them and will get more but not doubt about it in my mind. i wasn't big on the 12" SW at first but now I really appreciate the flexibility of them.

Last edited:
I feel for you. It is hard to draw a line on what you collect. I finally settled down to mini-busts, high end 12inch figuers, small transformers. and really cool looking 12inch or 1/4 scale statues. I am a fan of Star Wars, Transformers and Batman. And I collect in al those catagories. Unfortunatly when you let go of a collection you also let go of a favoriate character or really cool peice. I suggest to keep what you have now, unless you are really sure. You dont want to regrett selling something and trying to buy again on ebay. A while back I sold my high end stuff to go with the figuers and toys and I regrett that. Now Im swichting back. I also like DC and Marvel characters and I try to just stick with certian favoriate characters than just collecting a line. (Even though I have to get everytype of Iron Man armor) oh well.

Im in the same boat. Im looking to buy my first SSC PFF and im torn between what to buy first. i want to collect both Star Wars and Marvel figures, so im just going to be really picky about which ones i get. id rather collect a few figures from both universes that i really like then have a bunch from one universe that i only sort of like, but need them to complete a set...

either way whatever you decide to go with I'm sure you'll be happy. i haven't seen too many PFs from either universe that i wouldnt love to have. good luck to you.

Thank goodness for FLEXPAY.

:)

Seriously . . . I'm in the same situation as you. I enjoy MARVEL and STAR WARS. It's not feasible $ wise or space wise to simply collect everything.

I only pick certain MARVEL offerings (most female characters) that I definitely know I want and the same goes with the SW offering (all 12", but I limit myself to the clone troopers and their variants).

Personally . . . if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with MARVEL.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not saying that DC holds no interest for me, far from it! Luckily though DC Direct just hasn't hit the right notes in my wallet, and I just can't afford the import stuff. There's no way I'm throwing down $200-300 for a 12" figure any time soon. I just can't justify it, but they sure look nice. I'd be sunk if Sideshow ever got those licenses too though.

I also like lines like LOTR, Buffy, Terminator, etc. but there are not that many compared to Marvel and Star Wars. They're just sort of a "side thing" for me :maul

I would focus on the line that I have bolded and underlined in your post! :lecture

I'd go with Marvel simply because you can always seem to get the SW figs for a decent price. If you are an iron man fan, don't let those pass you by. The prices on those shoot up quick!

Back