Mark VII Stealth/Relationship Problems

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly the girl still sounds loopy to me. If she's getting this up in arms over you buying figures I have to think you'll be on a pretty short leash over the course of your entire relationship. Also maybe its just me but if a girl drops the love bomb that early in a relationship doesn't seem like the greatest sign either. Sometimes it just hits a person and they know (not speaking from personal experience) but other times it comes off kind of clingy/desperate to say it so early on which can be a whole other issue. Personally the situation doesn't seem worth being in to me as she'll probably want to control your every move if you become serious and using the fact that she loves you she may think she has you lured in for the long haul.

Whew. Yeah. I skipped from page 3 to 15 here but, dude. Jump ship here.

I'm going to simplify this concept. Forget the figures. Forget the money. Forget anything YOU.

Look at the way she treats you, has treated you. If anyone else did this, anyone, how would you respond? This is unacceptable in a relationship. I stuck it out for far longer than I should have in my last relationship, and she treated me like **** more often than not. Things like you describe, from 0 to 60, bipolar anger moments. One minute you're cuddling, watching TV, and the next she's biting your head off because you "never address relationship issues", issues mind you that don't ****ing exist. She would literally find problems that were not there, just to get upset so she could "resolve issues", because it made her feel better.

I see similar here. She is looking for issues whether she means to or not, and consequently she is undermining everything. This attitude won't stop.

And here's the thing; I didn't want to end it, despite being the bully pulpit. I had some ridiculous concept that I had to stick it out and it would get better. You seem to be suffering from the same situation.

I'm telling you, had I not been responsible and taken the high road I would have ended up with a kid and a miserable life. Do the right thing for yourself, for the things you enjoy, for your life. You will find someone else who appreciates your hobby and how it is part of you.

After my current girlfriend saw my collection for the first time, I expressed that I had reservations about what she would think before she saw, she told me something to the effect of, "[She] loves it because it is an extension of the things that make my personality the way it is and portrays my interest and dedication to the things I love". She, like I, sees it no different than buying art. I also don't spend money on alcohol or smokes so my disposable income is distributed differently. She knows the costs of things. I felt that something was right on a fundamental level there. You haven't had that moment, seemingly.

You'll find this. But you won't find it through the loco-motive of a lady you've got now. She will strip you of everything you want to enjoy and make her focus solely on you. That's not healthy for you or a relationship. Whatever you do, don't feel timid about your collection when moving on in life, because not everyone is like this. There are good people.

Jeff12burq.... again, I think you need to see things from her perspective a little (and that goes for all future relationships as well). As I mentioned in reply in your first post, you do have to consider how things appear. Just because your finances are in order, doesn't mean that it looks that way to someone else. Again, as a hobby, and like most hobbies, the costs really shouldn't exceed your disposable income. If you have a nice apartment, nice furniture, nice clothes, and drive a nice car, girls won't care about you collecting figures because it would appear that it's a relatively small portion of your disposable income.

If you live in a small apartment, with old furniture, and drive a beater of a car, it's going to appear that you're spending a significant portion of your disposable income on the figures.

Your finances at this point are your own business, but you could be (unknowingly) giving her the impression that most of your money is going to toys/collectibles. In which case, it's completely legit for her to react that way.

If you meet a girl, and she is spending the majority of her income on shoes, it would probably raise a red flag for you as well...

You don't have to find a girl that is a collector, by the way. My GF is not a collector, and would prefer that I wasn't one. BUT, she knows my finances are in order (we bought a house together), and I limit my collection to some really nicely designed and lit shelves in my ManCave. I'm sure she'd rather that I drank expensive wines, or my hobby was learning to be a gourmet chef, but she has resigned to the fact that I collect figures. As long as I don't go overboard, it's not a problem. She loves leather jackets, and the same thing applies to her.

Find a girl that's actually cool with what you're into.
They are out there.
Don't settle. you will be happier in the long run.

One of my ex boyfriends drove a decent car, rented an okay house by himself and had some pretty basic furniture. You know what he spent his disposable income on? Alcohol, cigarettes and pot! I would have been a hell of a lot happier if he had been spending it on figures instead. At least you can always sell them off and get money back if need be, which you can't do with that other stuff.

I think this girl could be in a much worse situation than she is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff12burq.... again, I think you need to see things from her perspective a little (and that goes for all future relationships as well). As I mentioned in reply in your first post, you do have to consider how things appear. Just because your finances are in order, doesn't mean that it looks that way to someone else. Again, as a hobby, and like most hobbies, the costs really shouldn't exceed your disposable income. If you have a nice apartment, nice furniture, nice clothes, and drive a nice car, girls won't care about you collecting figures because it would appear that it's a relatively small portion of your disposable income.

If you live in a small apartment, with old furniture, and drive a beater of a car, it's going to appear that you're spending a significant portion of your disposable income on the figures.

Your finances at this point are your own business, but you could be (unknowingly) giving her the impression that most of your money is going to toys/collectibles. In which case, it's completely legit for her to react that way.

If you meet a girl, and she is spending the majority of her income on shoes, it would probably raise a red flag for you as well...

You don't have to find a girl that is a collector, by the way. My GF is not a collector, and would prefer that I wasn't one. BUT, she knows my finances are in order (we bought a house together), and I limit my collection to some really nicely designed and lit shelves in my ManCave. I'm sure she'd rather that I drank expensive wines, or my hobby was learning to be a gourmet chef, but she has resigned to the fact that I collect figures. As long as I don't go overboard, it's not a problem. She loves leather jackets, and the same thing applies to her.

Well said!

I broke up with my girlfriend of 1 year of the Sideshow Gi Joe Firefly figure.

One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Back