1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha. I didn't even recognize you with the new avatar. You're so ready for this figure!

Felt like a little colour and '70s revival. ;)

I'm ready, but the jury's still out on whether or not Sideshow is ready. I'm not going to freak out over a small, black and white photo from an instruction sheet; still waiting on production/in-hand photos -- but I admit I have my doubts, always have.

I hope Wor's right about Hot Toys delivering an ESB pilot, but I'd really like a nice, retro-feeling ANH Vader vs. X-Wing Luke set-up so I'm keeping this one in my sights.

I'm pretty sure I'm down for HT's ANH Vader, regardless of any inaccuracies as I still think he'll have the best build quality and look out-of-the-box. But I didn't pre-order him just in case he's a complete (doubtful) disaster. The only pre-order I have is Stormtrooper Luke because he's an "exclusive".

Pictures in the instruction booklet should be of the actual sculpt -- there's no trickery going on here.

They could've used a prototype or a non production line piece for the instruction sheet.

It would make sense since the sheet would likely have been printed before production began to be able to include it in the production line.

They could've used a prototype or a non production line piece for the instruction sheet.

It would make sense since the sheet would likely have been printed before production began to be able to include it in the production line.

That does not look like the prototype that I'm familiar with to me. Looks like a complicated piece, so not sure why they'd use a "non production line piece", whatever that would be.

Anyway, we'll see in a short few weeks.

I just hope Sideshow will promote new production photos before they expect people to pony up the cash. Buying stuff sight-unseen is getting old at $240 a pop.

There's absolutely no reason NOT to have professional production photos ready to go. Everyone else does.

Liiiike maybe they picked the nicest head out of the first ones off the line, made it look all nice, and then took pictures of it. And then the rest will be ****. You never know.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want the figure to fail. The X-Wing pilot suit is one of my favorite uniforms of the OT. The 3.75" X-Wing Luke was one of my favorite action figures growing up. But I'm also wary of Sideshow. I really hope they deliver with this figure.

Hand painted Proto on the right, pics from instruction sheet on the left.

3%20lukes_zpse09klgqk.png

Honestly. Now we know where the extra money is going: R & D. Pixel is right; they should have just given us two heads and a helmet.

:exactly:

So they greatly increase the price of the fig due to R & D, in order to give less to the customer? What a genius plan.

The Hoth figs came with two or three heads plus a ton of accessories and were $199. This is $40 more and you get one head and a basic outfit. The EX is a pair of scrunched up gloves (!):slap

What is really interesting about this fig (ie. head) is this is the first time ever that SSC is going head-to-head (pun intended) with HT. They are releasing an ANH Luke at the exact same time HT is releasing their ANH Luke, and what's even more interesting is they didn't even try to sweeten the deal in what you get. Even setting aside any quality differences in the SSC vs HT heads, you get far less with the SSC Luke vs the HT Luke and yet pay more. You really have to wonder who's making these decisions at Sideshow.

2132-luke-skywalker-red-five-x-wing-pilot-014.jpg

9024361-luke-skywalker-02.jpg

I am not ordering purely because the price and it's sideshow.

I got the 20% off deal on hoth han and honestly while a great sculpt for sideshow its not hot toys price even on their off day. I still question if the money was well spent given the quality.

Sideshow still reads "figure" while hot toys is more realistic... obviously preferences vary.

If this fig would have been $200 I probably would have thought about it, but not at $240.

Still have to reserve judgment but the instruction pics do no hold up well in talibane's lineup. They look puffy and really lacking the finer details of the proto. I won't even go there on the extras, as farm boy luke is close to a dx release and red five is as bare bones as it gets.

Pretty questionable for Sideshow (who happens to WORK with Hot Toys) to not just have Hot Toys paint their heads for them. The sculpts aren't bad, they just need better paint. Simple. And to charge more than HT is just ridiculous. Who do they think they are?? :lol

It really is quite ridiculous when you look at this versus Hot Toys' farmboy Luke. Both coming at basically the same time and the Hot Toys figure is loaded while this figure pretty much has nothing other than pieces that are part of the outfit and is $10 more. I still might be interested in this but the pricing behind this figure doesn't make sense.

Why anyone continues to buy SS SW 1/6 is beyond me at this point.
I wouldn't go that far but I won't pre-order items from Sideshow where they're asking for a NRD. They've proven themselves too unreliable to chance it if you ask me.

as you guys are stating, the sculpt and paint apps are very inferior to those in Hot Toys. However, if this falls in price, the suit and helmet look good enough for a great X-wing pilot Luke, if you have the head of Hot Toys farmboy Luke or Stormtrooper Luke.

I still have a soft spot for Sideshow, as they were the ones who made the 1/6 Star Wars line popular, or at least alive for a long time. They have done great stuff in the past, but I have to be honest, I haven't bought anything of theirs since the Probe Droid and Snowtrooper. I was really excited for Hoth Luke and Han, but once the figs actually hit they were a real let down (to me anyway) and I could never go for them. I want them to do better, I'd like to support them, but they're making it hard. I still have hope for the TIE fighter and AT-AT driver.

I have the hoth stuff(luke, han, taun taun) and I like it a lot despite its flaws. The bodies were bad and out of scale, the outfit patches had issues, and the paint was way too tan. All the pieces together look great together imo though. Putting luke on the taun taun fixes scale, hood can kinda mask paint issues, etc. Those were $200 retail though and cheaper than that with discounts and $10 flat shipping. They also came with tons of stuff rivaling ht farmer luke. Unfortunately none of this applies to the red five and it has to stand on its own merit quality vs. price. We will see.

Back