Lone Ranger buying intention

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Hot Toys Lone Ranger figure/s do you want?

• Happy with just Tonto as I'm a Depp fan and/or I like the design

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Won't be buying Tonto unless they release The Lone Ranger

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Only interested in the masked man himself - bring him on!

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Not interested in either of them

Votes: 28 38.9%

• Total voters
Being a lifelong Lone Ranger fan I'm probably biased, but I reckon it's a refreshing change from Hot Toys' usual Marvel/DC/SF stuff.

Much rather have a Clayton Moore classic version than Hammer. Totally disappointed with the new interpretation, I tried, but could not like him in the least. Depp was passable and movie was more his anyway, plus he IS Depp so that figure sells either way. Guess it comes down to the next movie for my final judgment.

Depp was passable and movie was more his anyway, plus he IS Depp so that figure sells either way. Guess it comes down to the next movie for my final judgment.

With how poorly this did at the box office, there won't be another movie. I think it's for this reason HT might be waffling on releasing the Ranger. The movie performed poorly, but a Depp character can sell due to being a Depp character. They're probably just hoping enough fans of Depp will buy Tonto at this point, regardless of the Ranger.

Me, I'm a character person usually, first and foremost - and I only like some of Depp's characters, not all. I only have Jack Sparrow. I would like Ichabod, but it's just not a priority for me with everything else coming out. Tonto is a total pass.

I put this thread in the General section to get more exposure but it got moved. :(

Oh! Let it be. Folks who are Tonto / Depp fans, will buy him. If Ranger's released, I'll get him too.

People not enthusiastic about him has (also) got to with the way the movie did. If it was good enough / popular, am sure it would have been different.

I think it's for this reason HT might be waffling on releasing the Ranger.

At this point our best hope is him being a toy fairs exclusive. If the edition size is small enough it might justify the development work they've already put into him.

Plus toy fairs exclusives aren't usually mega-popular characters/versions.

I'll consider them if they release both ... and I find a good buy on 'em.

There aren't enough figures from westerns to be all that selective -- though I'd love to see a Man w/ No Name, or Costner's Wyatt Earp, or Charlie Prince from 3:10 to Yuma, or Bridges' Rooster Cogburn, or Davy Crockett from The Alamo, or Django, or John Marston, or Seth Bullock, or Al Swearengen, or ... or even Raylan Givens, Longmire or No Country characters (for a modern western).

But, for now, it looks like we'll have to settle for figures from a pretty fair Disney movie.

SnakeDoc

Being a lifelong Lone Ranger fan I'm probably biased, but I reckon it's a refreshing change from Hot Toys' usual Marvel/DC/SF stuff.
I'm with you on that. But at the same time, I'm not interested in this license, and could have told Hot Toys not to go with it if they wanted to maximize sales. So unfortunately, this is the reason we don't see many refreshing changes of pace! They aren't profitable. Iron Man variant number 635 will sell better than a whole line of Lone Ranger figures combined.

I'm with you on that. But at the same time, I'm not interested in this license, and could have told Hot Toys not to go with it if they wanted to maximize sales. So unfortunately, this is the reason we don't see many refreshing changes of pace!

It just comes down to the movie not being a hit, I think. If the movie had been better received and done well at the box office, HT could've had an easier time justifying both releases. They would have released both figures.

Disney tried to market the movie like it was POTC western style, and it didn't work out for them - that turned me off the movie, personally. Just because I liked Depp in POTC doesn't mean I want to see him play different versions of Sparrow in other movies, and that's what it felt like to me every time I saw the trailer. The Lone Ranger seemed like a secondary character in his own film so that they could showcase Jack Spar--er, Tonto. :dunno

Still time for the Lone Ranger to be this year's SDCC ex.....we'll probably hear something next month or July when Sideshow solicits Hot Toys ex's

funny, I would say the same about anyone buying figures from Man of Steel or the Dark Knight Rises

jyG81CB.gif

Back