Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 8 detolfs and only 2 dioders (4 lights each) with the light on the top of each one... its' not enough light haha but it looks clean.

Mine are not wired in series so I use a power strip to turn everything on.

I should get 6 more and dedicate one for each detolf but I'm not sure if these are the ones I want.
I like really bright white lights that illuminate everything, think clean sterile environment, hospital or spaceship lol. rather than warm lights or shadows.

dioders.jpg

I plan on having the Dioder bulbs for my Besta and Dioder strips for my Detolfs. It may require some drilling at the bottom/back but with four lights per Dioder these are a great option , but I have to get my own place first. :slap :( :)

I'm going to be wiring up some shelves, and I had a few questions.

Is there any difference in choosing to wire in series or parallel? I know in some electronics applications you have to worry about resistors and all that, depending on if things are wired in series or parallel, so I was curious if that still applied to LED strips? Second, I noticed with some of the kits that include everything, they say not to exceed the total length of the included LED strip. Could I use a splitter at the connection to the power supply to connect two separate runs of LED strip, as long as they don't exceed the total length of included strip?

I was thinking of going with one of these kits from LED Wholesalers, as well as this splitter. If that application would work, I could split the strip into two different sections for two different shelves right next to each other, and then keep them both tied into the same dimmer and power supply.

Lastly, any good stores in Canada offering decent deals on LED strip or kits, or are the US stores basically the only option for decent prices?

Is there any difference in choosing to wire in series or parallel? I know in some electronics applications you have to worry about resistors and all that, depending on if things are wired in series or parallel, so I was curious if that still applied to LED strips?

No difference, because the strips are already wired in a parallel fashion with resistors, in groups of 3 LEDs. You can knock out any group of three in a strip and it doesn't affect any of the other LEDs. In a series circuit/connection, any break will bring down the entire run.

Look at my wiring diagrams, they tell you petty much everything you need to know about wiring LED strips.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5437905#post5437905

Second, I noticed with some of the kits that include everything, they say not to exceed the total length of the included LED strip. Could I use a splitter at the connection to the power supply to connect two separate runs of LED strip, as long as they don't exceed the total length of included strip?

Yes. The disclaimer is based on their power supply, and usually because they're providing a very small one.

Check Amazon for the LEDWholesalers stuff because their prices can be all over the place.

Lastly, any good stores in Canada offering decent deals on LED strip or kits, or are the US stores basically the only option for decent prices?

No, absolutely nothing in Canada. You should buy from the US or directly from Hong Kong/China from Amazon/eBay.

Last edited:
Can someone who has a Dioder set of lights in their unit tell me how long each connector cords is?

I just want to make sure the cord is long enough to run down the back vertical support and out a hole in the bottom and connect to power supply.

No difference, because the strips are already wired in a parallel fashion with resistors, in groups of 3 LEDs. You can knock out any group of three in a strip and it doesn't affect any of the other LEDs. In a series circuit/connection, any break will bring down the entire run.

Look at my wiring diagrams, they tell you petty much everything you need to know about wiring LED strips.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5437905#post5437905

Yes. The disclaimer is based on their power supply, and usually because they're providing a very small one.

Check Amazon for the LEDWholesalers stuff because their prices can be all over the place.

No, absolutely nothing in Canada. You should buy from the US or directly from Hong Kong/China from Amazon/eBay.

Thanks for the info! Clears up a lot for me.

Going to be lighting up a bunch of Billies with glass doors on them, after being inspired by Adam Savages setup in his Mythbusters studio.

Can someone who has a Dioder set of lights in their unit tell me how long each connector cords is?

I just want to make sure the cord is long enough to run down the back vertical support and out a hole in the bottom and connect to power supply.

I'm not sure the specific length of each connector cord but you'll have no issue running them from top down and out a hole in the base and to a power source as long as the power source isn't miles away. That's exactly how I have all 5 of my Detolfs (with Dioder strips) wired and I'd estimate there's 1-3 feet excess cord out the bottom once they are all in place. Hope this helps :D

Perfect. Thanks. I figured there was enough but just wanted to be sure before buying and starting the project.

10237935546_5218811c29_b.jpg

10237945185_47704b4831_b.jpg

10237937136_61c2f3a3cd_b.jpg

10237838134_306bcc44ac_b.jpg

10237837344_5a2330365c_b.jpg

10238025493_50b261c1b6_b.jpg

didnt know there was a thread for this. heres my lighting, i like warm white. i used 1/4' aluminum stock, a roll of smd non-waterproof leds, and 24G solid 2 conductor wire, soldiering iron, and shrink tubing. screw dioder lighting its such overpriced garbage imho. its hard to get nice coverage with 1 kit and the wires show. i used the splices parallell connection that pixelpiper illustrated on his 2nd picture.

1 kit dioder lighting isn't bad, but I agree adding a second kit per Detolf makes a huge difference and it's wonderful as I just finished doing that last week in all 5 of mine.

The pics below are with the dioder lighting turned on only, the lights in the rooms are all turned off and I never have to turn them on b/c these displays are blazing. The iphone camera doesn't capture just how bright these are. Hiding the wires is pretty easy it just takes some patience and a lot of zip ties.

November27edit1_zps11aca8e5.jpg

November27edit2_zpsadcf75f9.jpg

November2720133_zps75fea986.jpg

Last edited:
Which pucks do you guys use?

I have 2 sets of Dioder but I don't want to fool with the wire mess.

I'm also not into the strips as I think it looks cheap and messy.

Has anyone been able to find only the hub and LED Driver from the Inreda lights, (101.921.07)?

I have a bunch of extra lights that I can't use because I don't have extra hubs.

Which pucks do you guys use?

I have 2 sets of Dioder but I don't want to fool with the wire mess.

I'm also not into the strips as I think it looks cheap and messy.

I purchased this set here:

https://www.barlighting.com/4-Disc-LED-Kit-p/4dk-rgb.htm

They look nice but they don't have the same color white that I have in my other cases so for the sake of keeping things consistent, I'm going to sell them off. If you're interested, let me know. I can cut you a good deal.

So I have decided to get so e lighting for my detolf cabinets.
I can't be bothered reading through all pages but I get the general ideas that the decoder lights are best.
Are these the version in strips and do they not gain too much heat or give of UV rays?

I can't be bothered reading through all pages but I get the general ideas that the decoder lights are

Nono. Dioders are expensive and limited. The best by far is led ribbon from Amazon or eBay sellers. Period. All she wrote, etc.

Last edited:
You will have to mount the connecting box midway up the Detolf because the connecting strips are only 1 meter long and the Detolf is taller than 1m. This is the same issue people have with some of IKEA's lighting. Other than that, it can work. I'd use something else myself, but it can work.

Hope that info is what you were looking for.

Back