Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if all recent Hot Toys backdrops are the same height?

BTW how did you fit the joker back drop to detolf?

As an example, Indiana Jones background fits into a Detolf. The top and bottom shelves have more headroom than the middle shelves and should fit the backdrop without modification. To fit such a backdrop to the middle is also possible, but the backdrop needs to be notched to fit under the metal shelf rails - on the Indy backdrop this required a 1" x 1/4" (length x height) notch on the top corners.

Do you want to blast your shelves full of light to perfectly illuminate every inch of the contents and eliminate shadows, or do you want subtle lighting to create a dramatic scene/display? Or maybe somewhere in between? Are you displaying one figure per shelf, two three, more? Are you setting them up diorama/scene style?

I think it's more important to identify what look you want before choosing how you'll achieve that look. It's also a lot easier than trying to work the other way around - I know this from experience! ;) Mainly because of trying to use and re-use a lot of supplies/parts I already had on hand.

This is one of the reasons I readily recommend LED ribbon to people, because it's extremely versatile given its flexible composition and its ability to be cut in multiples of 3 LEDs.

Do you want to blast your shelves full of light to perfectly illuminate every inch of the contents and eliminate shadows, or do you want subtle lighting to create a dramatic scene/display? Or maybe somewhere in between? Are you displaying one figure per shelf, two three, more? Are you setting them up diorama/scene style?

I think it's more important to identify what look you want before choosing how you'll achieve that look. It's also a lot easier than trying to work the other way around - I know this from experience! ;) Mainly because of trying to use and re-use a lot of supplies/parts I already had on hand.

This is one of the reasons I readily recommend LED ribbon to people, because it's extremely versatile given its flexible composition and its ability to be cut in multiples of 3 LEDs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be posing two figures per shelf. I think I want it well lit. Are the dioder bars the best route for this? Are the ribbons you mentioned different? I haven't heard of those before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Are the ribbons you mentioned different? I haven't heard of those before.

LED ribbon is composed of 1 meter long flexible circuit board strips soldered together and sold on a reel. Available with 3228 or 5050 type LEDs and with a few mounting densities, 150, 300 or 600 LEDs per 5 meters. Available in warm or cool white, individual colors, or RGB where you can change the color with a controller (usually included in a kit).

Dioder strips are small (under 15") rigid circuit boards with mounted LEDs - not sure of LED size nor mounting density. Only available in warm white color at the moment. They come with all connectors and wiring, plus a power supply and a switch.

Puck lighting (various brands) are of course circular devices, either wired or powered by batteries with anywhere from 1 to 3 to possibly even 10 LEDs per device. LED type and color temperature (for white) varies by brand/model. You can think of them as a sort of very wide spot light.

If you can accomplish very basic soldering, LED ribbon is infinitely more configurable.

Dioder strips are small (under 15") rigid circuit boards with mounted LEDs - not sure of LED size nor mounting density. Only available in warm white color at the moment. They come with all connectors and wiring, plus a power supply and a switch.

The Ikea Diodor is also available in multi color RGB. It costs $40 iirc.

The easiest way is to clean/vacuum the room regularly. Next is foam of poly bristle glued to the front edges so that the glass door creates a seal when closed.

Can someone post a picture of their Detolf lit up with the "warm white" Dioder bar from Ikea?

I wanna see what it looks like and I've been looking through all these posts in the thread

LED-Ribbon-wire-routing_zps14c88995.png~original
[/URL]

In that spliced (parrallel style) how is the wires run?

Two long lengths of wire, with each length of ribbon solider on with a smaller lengths of wire?

just wanted to share how my lights came out, thanks to this thread i was able to make my display viewable at night now

I'm starting to look into LED lighting for my custom shelves and I was talking to someone who mentioned that 'spliced' lighting setup.

That's definitely the way I'm going to go but can you do that with any LED strip? do you need anything specific?

Noob here.

I looked through this thread and the pictures and information shared is very helpful Thank you! My question is I have a couple of these and the lights I got from Ikea each have their own wire that plugs into a hub that has 4 separate ports and at the end that plugs into the port, it is not the same type of end to fit in the next light. is there a separate wire set everyone is purchasing or how can I do the Spliced/ Parallel style connection With the unit below. Thank you in advance!
dioder-led--piece-light-strip-set__53205_PE153426_S4_zps14d2212b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back