JND Studios: Superman (Christopher Reeve) 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way that would work is if they got the license for all scales. Licenses aren’t catch all and are rather specific. It’s why Enterbay was only able to do 1/4 scale TDK Batman figures instead of directly competing with HT at 1/6. HT had exclusive rights to 1/6 and were only able to finally do a 1/4 TDK Joker when the Enterbay license expired.
For a similar reason, we don’t know if JND will be able to have a global license for a 1/6 Reeve Superman figure. As previously mentioned, even InArt’s DC license is regional instead of global, which is why we have to go to places like OSK to order. SpecFiction obviously has some deal to import items that are typically only offered outside of the US, but other wise, you can’t get them at a US retailer.

If it were to become an issue, I could see them maybe trying to get around it in the same way that DiD got around Eon and BCS by releasing a fully licensed “Roger Moore” figure that was clearly him as James Bond. However, in the product description, they say it’s based on photographs of him, the person, while filming rather than being actually based on him as 007/James Bond in a particular movie.

That's very true. Fingers crossed they can get this license in 1/6 scale also.

Guarantee you every statue has pegged eyes, it's been shown in all the reveal videos. They do look longer now, I've said in a previous comment, though, that silicone is soft, therefore even with a peg there's room for it to be adjusted just enough to either get it in its true correct positioning or to be slightly out of alignment. Anyone having 'wonky' eyes are able to adjust it themselves 100%.

Go to 4:36, you can see him holding the eye by the peg. I was actually looking for the reveal video but this came up first. If you even watch any of their recent Instagram reels of 'this isn't a real person', it's usually a video of them inserting the pegged eye into its socket.

True, there is a peg there, but if you look at the TDK Batman video (see screencap below), you can see how small an insignificant the peg is that they used for it. So, even with that having a peg, it's no where near enough to actually secure it into whatever slot they made inside the socket considering the pliability of silicone. The saving grace is that given the pliability, you can move it yourself. That said, the higher the price something costs, the less "adjusting yourself" you should have to do and the less justifiable it is. Something like the recent Saturn Toys 66 Batman KO that needs a little work is more justifiable due to the both lower than original MSRP and the current aftermarket pricing. But a premium item like this, you really shouldn't have to adjust something like the eyes, especially when they like to insist that their production is the best in the business. Obviously, I have no first hand experience with these yet, but I soon will. And, just like I was a little disappointed in my initial InArt unboxing due to some of their questionable choices that I ended up fixing myself, I can see myself being just as disappointed if not more so if I have to fix anything on JND's behalf.

Back to the eyes - The newer, longer pegs should allow them to be accurately placed during production and stay in their intended position during transit without needing to adjust them yourself. Maybe the Arthur Fleck ones were longer and for some reason they switched to shorted ones with later releases. But with a few of the previous ones arriving with wonky eyes, they went back to the longer pegs? 🤔

This little nub:
Screenshot 2023-06-16 143629.jpg

Vs this much longer peg:
453633-eye.PNG

Last edited:
They need to re-orientate the eyes on this because the way they are pegged in now, makes him look a bit cross-eyed, or as if he is focused on something inches away his face.
Moving the right eye's iris a little more to the right solves that (as would the opposite with the left eye).

supe-iris.jpg

For as underwhelming as this looks, I honestly think the sculpt is there. It's the hair (and lousy lighting) that's throwing it all off.
That actually improves it a lot IMO

His eyes were wider apart so this is spot on

The fact that this will sell out tells me collectors have more money (debt in fact) than sense.

This Reeve's supes is simply missing the mark by a landslide.
Well not really. First of all the likeness isn't completely off. Also I'm sure people bought this in the hope that JND will make improvements. If they do, those who passed on it will wish they had bought it. Someone also made a good point in saying that if you don't like the final product, you can easily sell it, considering the premium brand and low edition numbers.

Well not really. First of all the likeness isn't completely off. Also I'm sure people bought this in the hope that JND will make improvements. If they do, those who passed on it will wish they had bought it. Someone also made a good point in saying that if you don't like the final product, you can easily sell it, considering the premium brand and low edition numbers.

The likeness is completely off for the price being asked.

Kent looks fantastic, can’t deny that. But Superman doesn’t.

I’m 42 now, I no longer buy things hoping to resell them one day. Who has time for that?

The fact that this will sell out tells me collectors have more money (debt in fact) than sense.

This Reeve's supes is simply missing the mark by a landslide.
Ha! Shows how much you know! I have the same amount of money as I do sense: 0.

But I’m also disappointed in the Superman sculpt. This is way too expensive for me to treat it like a 3rd party 1/6 figure with likeness.

Yeah, when you examine all the pics and video more closely, you can see the main elements are all, or mostly all, there.
There are subtle tweaks that can be made to strengthen what they have- but for the most part, they've got it.
For all the ballyhoo they whip up with their teasers and reveals, the products are usually poorly lit and and finessed. This one was more than most for some reason.

Don't know what to say to anyone who can't see the actor here. They were specifically aiming for a 25-26 year old Reeve from the first film. I think they got him.

superdark.jpg

No photoshop tweaks or alterations other than adjusting the contrast so that the (poor) hair won't be a distraction.

Well worth gambling $360 on the NRD to lock this set in.

Last edited:
Another one, from the opposite side. For this one, I did go in and change the contour of the hair and darken it, along with upping the saturation and contrast in the rest of the photo.
The hairline inside the face needs adjusting too on the actual figure. Hopefully they figure that out for the actual production.

Then again, they are still using out-of-scale synthetic Barbie hair, while Blitzway and Queen are using yak and wool, and getting an overall more realistic effect with polystone than these guys are with silicone. They may never learn.

supe-2-3-left-darkened.jpg

That's really cool how it looks so much better just with the saturation/contrast turned up. Don't expect any more changes than the hair maybe

Yeah, I just wanted to illustrate what kinds of things are affecting perception of this, and where it still could be tweaked to be better.
It's not perfect. At this price point, these things should be addressed. They have over a year for Pete's sake.
At the same time, big improvements can come from alterations of a very small %.

One last one for now- Since head on seems to be where this portrait looks the weakest.
In addition to the contrast/exposure/saturation adjustments, I moved the right iris to the right slightly, and did the Electric Tiki tweak of widening his neck and jawline (3% wider). The only scaling is with the perimeter. The mouth and mouth structure are exactly the same in both photos. If you look closely you can see where the break is.
Nothing done to the hair at all this time. In fact, I think the hair massing on this prototype. as clumsy as it is, looks much more properly proportioned, and closer to screen accurate, once the neck and jaw are widened,

supe-front-contsatexp.jpg
supes-front.jpg

Last edited:
gosh, this is beautiful work. I seriously can't justify the cost but I've considered it long and hard regardless. I love the Clark even better than the Superman.
do I really need a downpayment for homes or cars when I could have this instead? :p
My favorite superhero right there. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone like Hot Toys will make a smaller/cheaper one someday. But I am very jealous of folks that get this.

Anyone know if the base on the dual set can be separated ? Thanks in advance to all
From pics of the base, I believe they cannot be separated.

If you look at these pics below, you'll see there is no seam between the two sides. And the front of the base has the "Superman: The Movie" logo right in the center.

JND-SupermanClark01-1.jpg

JND-SupermanClark05.jpg

Is it true that the superman suit is sculpted and not made of fabric? The cape is obviously fabric though.
yes, it is true that Superman's suit is fully sculpted except for the cape. They mentioned it in their behind the scenes video below to see for yourself.

Kojun: "...and for this piece, we decided to express the outfit by 3D modeling and painting, instead of using fabric. We tried using fabric and there were points about the fabric that got in the way for me in terms of realism. And as you know for The Batman, we pride ourselves in our ability to create texture through 3D modeling."

Thanks for the help on the base I love Clark but I’m on the fence on Superman love Reeve just want to see if they update the sculpt at all
They probably won’t. In one of their news updates they mentioned that they felt it was the way the hair was styled that was throwing off the likeness so that might be the only thing that is improved upon

Back