Statue J. Scott Campbell - New Mary Jane Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sure as hell does look like it could be computer paint application. Either way props to SS. Looks great.

shes 1/5th scale ..... and that picture comparing them is awful. The picture is a close up on Ivy just look how far the MJ base is compared to IVY ..... This is the same kind of pictures my friends take when fishing. they hold them closer to the camera so they look bigger. MJ kneeling will be 11.5 inchs tall. So she is as tall as a 1/6 scale figure, but she is kneeling.

Yeah the placement probably effects the size... But even kneeling she still looks a tad small. Hard to believe this is 1/5 scale.. But it is hard to tell from that photo.... It looks like if she stood up she would barley reach Ivy's Underarms.

Got MJ today. I'd say she's somewhere between 1/5 and 1/6 scale - MJ isn't supposed to be a tiny girl.

I NEVER buy Marvel statues except PFs, but I saw these at SDCC and the paint application was so distinctive that I was intrigued. However of course I worried that production pieces wouldn't be able to match the paint. But I have to say that I'm very impressed with it in person. It's a perfect representation of the art and the paint conveys a weird comic book cover look that sets it apart from any other statues we've seen.

She looks nice! Has anyone compared her to AH MJ? Would love to see a photo of that since I will be displaying those together.

+1 would love to see the two together. Been thinking about picking up a AH MJ. I think the prices will fall with this one now out.

Mine should be here tomorrow :pray:

shes 1/5th scale ..... and that picture comparing them is awful. The picture is a close up on Ivy just look how far the MJ base is compared to IVY ..... This is the same kind of pictures my friends take when fishing. they hold them closer to the camera so they look bigger. MJ kneeling will be 11.5 inchs tall. So she is as tall as a 1/6 scale figure, but she is kneeling.

Yeh she's kneeling but that puffy takes up about 25% of the height of the statue.

It does look like the paint is computer applied, all the pics so far seem so consistent and the application is not that straight forward given the shading and the small size of the piece. I think SS mentioned something about a new method of more realistic paint application being used on this and whatever it is, they've cracked a nut with it, because it's hella better than hand painted by a factory worker pieces.

Just no way that both below are done by people (pic by N3RDGASM over at ST):

mj02_zps0ca56d2b.jpg

and the horror!!!
rogueeed.jpg

Proto vs factory, taking into account the proto is taken with a DSLR, it's just waaaayyyy too similar to be hand painted, plus how did they get 6000 done so quick! The proto has been touched up a fraction I suspect by a pro, for display purposes, but damn it's similar.

I'm not complaining mind you, good move! I wish SS would label which future pieces use this technique because I'm in on those.

Proto:
3198714-sideshow-collectibles-69+copy.jpg

Factory: (pic by Isildur's bane)
MJ005.jpg

She just arrived! Unbelievably fast shipping from CA to the UK.

Don't have time to open her right now though :panic:

Me too!! Mine is out for delivery today (in London, England here), it's in the delivery van:)

I love SS deliveries with FedEX from the US to the UK, it's just so darn quick and efficient.

That sure as hell does look like it could be computer paint application. Either way props to SS. Looks great.

I was thinking the same thing. All the pieces look I have seen look so darn close to the proto... I have to figure that machines were used to get such a uniformly goo paint job for such a small statue. I am not criticizing SSC IF that is the way they have decided to go because it will bode well for the QC for future product IMHO.

Yeah the placement probably effects the size... But even kneeling she still looks a tad small. Hard to believe this is 1/5 scale.. But it is hard to tell from that photo.... It looks like if she stood up she would barley reach Ivy's Underarms.

Got MJ today. I'd say she's somewhere between 1/5 and 1/6 scale - MJ isn't supposed to be a tiny girl.

I NEVER buy Marvel statues except PFs, but I saw these at SDCC and the paint application was so distinctive that I was intrigued. However of course I worried that production pieces wouldn't be able to match the paint. But I have to say that I'm very impressed with it in person. It's a perfect representation of the art and the paint conveys a weird comic book cover look that sets it apart from any other statues we've seen.

It's hard to draw conclusions from the pic because it's measured against a PF. We really have to see this MJ statue measured against other comiquettes like the Adam Hughes line and so on.

Love delivery, hate the bill :(

Yeah there's always the fun letter from Fedex afterwards with customs fees, still at least Fedex don't hold your stuff to ransom until you pay like Parceforce here do.

But hey I ain't complaining, it's a good service for us UK guys, darn quick.

Maybe they changed factories that will do what is asked compared to trying to pull a fast one over on SS
They do come rather quick though for so many, I am guessing the casting was much easier since a simple pose

Actually I just checked the SS site:

MJ is hand painted with a new high-contrast technique, creating added depth and dimension to each piece.

In that case, well done whoever is painting these, a whatever the new technique is, stick with it.

In any case, mine's now delivered so will check it out tonight after work:)

Last edited:
Back