Statue J Scott Campbell Classic Spiderman Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buddy, first I have no personal problem with you, I want you to know that! Second, the main problem with Sideshow's Spider Man is the color difference with the proto and final product! They presented him with a matte color and so many collectors purchased him just for that different coloring then comiquette! The sloppy lines are inevitable result because of his costume design! Sure if Sideshow make a perfect presentation of the proto with perfect lines then the final has to match with it! But I guess we all know it was impossible but we didn't know the colors will be changed! My Koto Spider is same with the proto photos, nothing more,nothing less! I have no issues with my Spidey and my Bowen is also great, no sloppy lines!
I agree. I'm waiting on this and not pleased at all.
You seemed to jump on the two guys who said they did have issues... No worries.

I have several Sideshow Spider-Man pieces and non have any issues with the lines.
This is very lazy of Sideshow, sculpting deep grooves for the webbing and the difference in paint.

Yea, I can see the reason some people are upset about the misrepresentation by SSC. It's pretty annoying that someone in the pre production phase couldn't make the call of "yea, we shouldn't use this proto cuz its NEVER gonna fly in mass production." Instead they put it out there just because it looks good and people will PO based off of it. I am getting a tad more upset about it with every Spidey976 post I read:lol. In the end though, I look at my Spidey sitting on my desk and I still love how it looks. I missed out on the 1/4 comi so I'm happy with this one....just not the floaty foot! Gonna email SSC about that today or tomorrow and see what they say.

just not the floaty foot! Gonna email SSC about that today or tomorrow and see what they say.

Is that the peg foot that's floating? I'm gonna file mine down in a bit. Pain in the ass. I couldn't get him on the base at first, but that's because i'm stupid. :lol

I emailed Ssc this morning regarding a replacement head. I also expressed my disappointment with the paint application issues, asking for an answer why we were shown something that was stylistically in line with the other Scott Campbell pieces only to be sold a different product in the end. Interested to see what they say, I don't really expect anything but a stock answer but I felt it was necessary to express myself as a customer.

Since your name and sig have spidey, I am weighing your comments more. I am getting pretty nervous for this piece. It was actually my very first PO from SSC. It's what got me into collecting statues.

Just check the lines on your Spidey, especially on the EX head around the nose area. I wouldn't expect perfection, but some are better than others. In the end this piece looks great in its own right, and I am leaving it at that.

OOOOO! I missed this pic. That looks great.

Yep. That pic looks killer. Best angle for a display IMHO.

Exactly. No company is going to paint the lines on a mass produced Spidey. It would be too damn expensive, will take forever (if done properly) and it takes a very steady and skilled hand. I know everyone is saying wait for the XM Spidey but unless the lines are hand painted by some seriously skilled factory workers (what's the chance of finding enough to paint all of those Spidey statues), results will always vary on any Spidey statue that uses an ink wash for the webbing.

Yep, but wouldn't be killer if they did do them all by hand with a steady hand....lol.

Yea, I can see the reason some people are upset about the misrepresentation by SSC. It's pretty annoying that someone in the pre production phase couldn't make the call of "yea, we shouldn't use this proto cuz its NEVER gonna fly in mass production." Instead they put it out there just because it looks good and people will PO based off of it. I am getting a tad more upset about it with every Spidey976 post I read:lol. In the end though, I look at my Spidey sitting on my desk and I still love how it looks. I missed out on the 1/4 comi so I'm happy with this one....just not the floaty foot! Gonna email SSC about that today or tomorrow and see what they say.

I am done sarakawa. I have said my piece. If you love how it looks that is all that matters. Everything else is secondary especially if you think you got your moneys worth, and you love it. I am sorry if I have affected your enjoyment of this piece at all.

This is not a defense of SS, they absolutely should have put up re photos of what the production piece was going to look like as soon as it was known they needed to alter it for production.

That said, I like it more. It's what I would have preferred from the beginning. That's just me though. So I don't feel I have been had, taken to the cleaners nor sold a bill of goods. I love it! Admittedly, it's my only Spidey. Maybe I would feel differently if this came out too similar to other pieces.

But by all means, if it's not to your satisfaction, SEND IT BACK!

This is not a defense of SS, they absolutely should have put up re photos of what the production piece was going to look like as soon as it was known they needed to alter it for production.

That said, I like it more. It's what I would have preferred from the beginning. That's just me though. So I don't feel I have been had, taken to the cleaners nor sold a bill of goods. I love it! Admittedly, it's my only Spidey. Maybe I would feel differently if this came out too similar to other pieces.

But by all means, if it's not to your satisfaction, SEND IT BACK!

You have this in hand already TBolt??? As for you loving it, again that is all that matters.

Is that the peg foot that's floating? I'm gonna file mine down in a bit. Pain in the ass. I couldn't get him on the base at first, but that's because i'm stupid. :lol

nah, my peg foot slots all the way in but the lower foot floats. it slightly fits into socket but floats about halfway out of socket. not a deal breaker but my OCD reminds me everytime I look at it.

I am done sarakawa. I have said my piece. If you love how it looks that is all that matters. Everything else is secondary especially if you think you got your moneys worth, and you love it. I am sorry if I have affected your enjoyment of this piece at all.

No worries Spidey. To be honest, I didn't even realize how different the final product was from the proto til I read all the stuff in here. I had forgotten that the paints were more matte and the lines weren't sculpted to begin with.

Just check the lines on your Spidey, especially on the EX head around the nose area. I wouldn't expect perfection, but some are better than others. In the end this piece looks great in its own right, and I am leaving it at that.

Yep. That pic looks killer. Best angle for a display IMHO.

Yep, but wouldn't be killer if they did do them all by hand with a steady hand....lol.

This is very polite and has to be appreciated! I am also sorry if I did the same...

Since your name and sig have spidey, I am weighing your comments more. I am getting pretty nervous for this piece. It was actually my very first PO from SSC. It's what got me into collecting statues.

Don't fret if this one doesn't live up to expectations. By that I mean you can send it back and get something else. There are a lot of winners out there, but there seems to be more stinkers coming out of the last few years. Rogue PF fiasco anyone? My first two SSC statues were winners. Punisher and Buffy PF. Love the fact that one came with actual eyelashes. In fact I find this almost baffling, but it seems like the product was better in 2005 (the year both were released) than what we have been seeing from 2014. One only has to look at the Andy Bergholtz sculpted Bela Lugosi Dracula PF to see all the details in the sculpt and paint apps, not to mention the fabric materials used to see how much better the product was 10 years ago. You would think with technology improving and some of these artists coming out of the wood work we would see improvements. Perhaps it's due to SideShow spreading their resources too thin. There was more focus on each piece coming out right when they had fewer licenses to work on. Also the customer service was a 100 X more exceptional back in those days vs. now. I miss how exceptional their services were. When it came back to getting back to you right away. Having replacements on hand. Now you don't have replacement parts. Or it's a rarity when you get them. They just throw the 30 dollar credit bull or you accept the fact you may not own that piece. Ugh. Yes, because 30 dollars makes us recover a damaged 400-500 piece. A piece that would end up costing us more than 30 dollars by a master painter to fix. That very thought process is an insult with how much these things go for.

P.S. Didn't hurt that I pretty much got the master painted version of the Dracula straight from Andy's collection, hand signed by the man himself. I love that piece. The PFs of today just aren't made with the same attention to detail as that particular piece and I own a lot of the big grails. It's so underrated.

Last edited:
Back