J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must not have watched the same movie as everyone else. I thought this movie was a mess and the first one was much better. Please note that my opinion has nothing to do with new trek vs old trek.

Fantastic movie. I can't wait to see what Abrams can do with VII now that he has proven himself with Trek twice.

Cumberbatch would be an amazing Doctor Doom... but he'd need a decent Fantastic Four movie to be in. :) I'm glad the rest of the world is being exposed to his awesomeness, after becoming a fan of his thanks to Sherlock.

Cumberbatch would be an amazing Doctor Doom... but he'd need a decent Fantastic Four movie to be in. :) I'm glad the rest of the world is being exposed to his awesomeness, after becoming a fan of his thanks to Sherlock.

I've never watched Sherlock. After watching this movie, though, I'm gonna have to check it out, because he can really act.

I really enjoyed this one--- every crew member had their own moment to shine, Pine did an even better job of capturing Kirk without it degenerating into a Shatner caricature (and I thought he was fantastic in the first one), I loved the twists and things being presented
Spoiler Spoiler:
... It makes me excited for what he'll do with Star Wars. :clap:clap

Well...saw it last night...some quick thoughts (beware...thar might be spoilers ahead...)

I liked it about as much as I liked the last one. That one hasn't held up well in subsequent viewings....and I don't think this one will either. Actually, this one wasn't holding up for me while watching it this first time...

It gets off to a decent start and jets along okay...that is until what we old-timers would call "the final reel". Then this thing completely falls apart and doesn't recover. The WTF moments just start hitting one after another until the movie just sputters out.

And that's too bad...JJ put together a really good looking production, some good action set-pieces and once again the cast rises to the occasion with one glaring exception (and I'm gonna get some heat for this one)...

Cumberbatch was AWFUL...almost unwatchable. He never strikes the right chord here...he's neither intense or campy, he's not convincing with the action (mainly fight scenes) and just comes across as a bad actor. It wasn't the character (or who the character was)....I actually liked how the character was handled here in the story and how he was brought into this "alternate timeline" and all....Cumberbatch was just the wrong choice here....Abrams went for "trendy", trying for a "Loki"-like villain when that is not what the K guy is at all...

As I mention above, JJ puts on a good (not great) show here...if this movie shows me one thing, it's that he'll make a darned pretty looking SW movie....I just thank the stars his usual staff of crayon-welding "Mab-Lib" playing guys are NOT writing it, and that's a relief....

Now Paramount needs to find somebody else to move "Trek" forward...Abrams got it off to a good start, but it would be good to see some original stories as this incarnation sets out on that "five year mission"....

Well this old timer loved it, loved the Khan flip, most of it in fact.
Although I still can't abide Peggs dial in comedy routine and his ridiculous oyster shell head dwarf assistant.

My thoughts/issues with the movie:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
I am with you in that I am not as bif og a fan as many here. Just thought I would add my thoughts after yours ----------

My thoughts/issues with the movie:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
I must not have watched the same movie as everyone else. I thought this movie was a mess and the first one was much better. Please note that my opinion has nothing to do with new trek vs old trek.

Here is what I said a few pages back.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I am an original fan, and really enjoyed this one. Sputtering out, plot holes, use of Transwarp technology arguments hold little water for this fan. To quote Shat, "Its just a show" and enjoyed the heck out of it as such.

Some, and this is just my thoughts on the matter, seem to have had unrealistically high expections, or just have a hard time separating classic trek from new trek. Either way, it has no bearing on my personal enjoyment of this Abramsverse.

I am an original fan, and really enjoyed this one. Sputtering out, plot holes, use of Transwarp technology arguments hold little water for this fan. To quote Shat, "Its just a show" and enjoyed the heck out of it as such.

Some, and this is just my thoughts on the matter, seem to have had unrealistically high expections, or just have a hard time separating classic trek from new trek. Either way, it has no bearing on my personal enjoyment of this Abramsverse.

:exactly::hi5:

I'm not some ST super-fan, but I wouldn't want it to become Bay's Transformers because I like turning my brain off.

I'm not some ST super-fan, but I wouldn't want it to become Bay's Transformers because I like turning my brain off.

w0rd

541219_628053803887948_1089764782_n.jpg

Back