InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpt of the hair really is terrific on this figure. A lot of companies don't seem to spend the time on the hair sculpts that they do on the faces, but a hair sculpt that's off can totally wreck a likeness. I will always contend that Asmus' very first Aragorn had a very good face sculpt, but the terrible conehead hair sculpt just destroyed it. Your eye just couldn't get past it. This figure really nails both. Even though I'm getting the rooted version, I would also have been happy if I had gone with sculpted.

Does the sculpted look off to anyone?
Yeah. To me so close but not quite. Too soft eyed don't know how else to explain it. Like to me their Gandalf was so close but just too "robust".
But for me close enough; the big disappointment for me - unless it gets changed - is the outer coat. A lackluster material that should have been high quality pleather or leather, without that wide edge binding. Way off scale. I'll pay him off but that's amateur. And the elven cloak could have been woven material.
I sure don't feel like I'm getting top of the line costuming unless they improve the proto.

The gap between the rooted and the sculpted for this figure is huge. The sculpted almost looks like a different person. I really don't like it. The rooted looks like Vito in the flesh under the right conditions.

Yeah. To me so close but not quite. Too soft eyed don't know how else to explain it. Like to me their Gandalf was so close but just too "robust".
But for me close enough; the big disappointment for me - unless it gets changed - is the outer coat. A lackluster material that should have been high quality pleather or leather, without that wide edge binding. Way off scale. I'll pay him off but that's amateur. And the elven cloak could have been woven material.
I sure don't feel like I'm getting top of the line costuming unless they improve the proto.
Man don't get me started on that coat. What frustrates me is that if you look at how complex and intricate some of the superhero costumes being produced in 1/6th are now yet they keep overlooking clear and obvious details to this coat.

Also the cloak...even Sideshow got the fabric right on those ancient figures. Whether it should be green or gray (it's gray) is a debate in itself but I'll settle for whatever to at least have the correct material? What's the reason for NOT doing it properly?

Attachments

• legolas009.jpg
    legolas009.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • legolas008.jpg
    legolas008.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fellowship-Fabric-Hood-6-scaled.jpeg
    Fellowship-Fabric-Hood-6-scaled.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 0
isnt it (the face), the exact same sculpt...I think it looks great!
The best plastic hair sculpt ive seen as well.

Man don't get me started on that coat. What frustrates me is that if you look at how complex and intricate some of the superhero costumes being produced in 1/6th are now yet they keep overlooking clear and obvious details to this coat.

Also the cloak...even Sideshow got the fabric right on those ancient figures. Whether it should be green or gray (it's gray) is a debate in itself but I'll settle for whatever to at least have the correct material? What's the reason for NOT doing it properly?
IMO lack of attention to detail; less work; and cheaper. I keep getting the impression that for InArt they tend to focus on the sculpt the most.
It's not that they don't pay attention to the costumes at all, but they miss some IMO obvious stuff and/or don't want to either search out, or have made, specialty fabrics, to-scale.
(LOL for what it is, that Legolas looks pretty good.) I'm kinda irritated 'coz if you are going to advertise yourself as an "ultimate" figure - Aragorn's ranger look is pretty iconic. Supple, road worn leather coat, boots, vambraces, sword. Plus getting seams and length off scale is what you get with 20$-30$ toys. I HOPE they are getting commentary and improving this prototype.

IMO lack of attention to detail; less work; and cheaper. I keep getting the impression that for InArt they tend to focus on the sculpt the most.
It's not that they don't pay attention to the costumes at all, but they miss some IMO obvious stuff and/or don't want to either search out, or have made, specialty fabrics, to-scale.
(LOL for what it is, that Legolas looks pretty good.) I'm kinda irritated 'coz if you are going to advertise yourself as an "ultimate" figure - Aragorn's ranger look is pretty iconic. Supple, road worn leather coat, boots, vambraces, sword. Plus getting seams and length off scale is what you get with 20$-30$ toys. I HOPE they are getting commentary and improving this prototype.
Looking at their prototypes for Paul Atredies and Battison, the costume details they have included are exceptional so it's frustrating to see Aragorn's basic but slightly detailed outfit not getting the proper treatment. I mean it's cool they included the details on the shirt but the coat and jerkin are the main aspects of his outfit.

I appreciate that they have amended things so far like the correct belt & buckle, sword strap details and leather details to the right coat sleeve, just missing so many other aspects still.

I've pointed it out multiple times on their FB posts which they have acknowledged but whether anything changes, we'll see...

Just keeping our eyes on the prize!
That pic just gives a nice close-up of the off-scale binding and tatty looking material of the coat. And he looks too young.
But I'm still paying him off. 😁
For all I know, this may be the last round of Middle Earth stuff based on the Jackson films - and from other companies as well. I dunno. At some point these films will be 20, 30 years old, not sure how long the interest will last. Tho there's Rings of Power I guess to sort of hype things. If only by unfortunate comparisons.

For all I know, this may be the last round of Middle Earth stuff based on the Jackson films - and from other companies as well. I dunno. At some point these films will be 20, 30 years old, not sure how long the interest will last. Tho there's Rings of Power I guess to sort of hype things. If only by unfortunate comparisons.
Star War, Indiana Jones, Terminator, Alien, Predator, Batman 66 & 89, The Matrix: all older than LOTR and still retain their market appeal due to devoted fan bases.

Weta pieces are still going strong; same with United cutlery replicas, Prime 1 have been churning out statues recently, other companies are also jumping in, JND have just begun to touch on LOTR for their hyper real 1/3 statues, and will produce 1/6 figures as well.

A day may come when the selling of LOTR merch fails, when we forsake our collections and break all bonds of owning the whole InArt Fellowship.
But it is not this day!!
This day, we buy!!

That pic just gives a nice close-up of the off-scale binding and tatty looking material of the coat. And he looks too young.
But I'm still paying him off. 😁
They already are over 20 years old. And that kind of longevity never seemed to hurt Back To the Future or Star Wars when it came to merchandising. The good things about the classics is that they never go out of style.

With that headsculpt, no one's looking at the coat.
For the critics, if you’re married and your wife asks about the dimensions of her derrière vis-a-vis denim pants, a bit of friendly advice: just tell her they look wonderful.

In the length of inner robe vote, count me in the “everything looks so damned good I don’t mind” camp.

Who among us is going to cling desperately to their ACI or Asmus versions at the expense of the opportunity to buy this (masterpiece - there’s my implicit bias post-script)?

I've got three premium versions on order so definitely want everything to be as close to accurate as possible. I've already handmade a real leather duster with the correct lacing and leather forearm details for my current Aragorn so would probably use that on one of the InArt figures but would be nice to get a movie accurate coat out of the box, especially at this price point.

The Asmus Fellowship Aragorn is the weakest of all with pretty much none of the outfit being close to movie accurate. Bin. ACI still has some great parts, especially the shirt and coat (which has all the correct lacing) if you can find one that hasn't fallen to bits.

For the critics, if you’re married and your wife asks about the dimensions of her derrière vis-a-vis denim pants, a bit of friendly advice: just tell her they look wonderful.

In the length of inner robe vote, count me in the “everything looks so damned good I don’t mind” camp.

Who among us is going to cling desperately to their ACI or Asmus versions at the expense of the opportunity to buy this (masterpiece - there’s my implicit bias post-script)?
Well I would have, so now I'm paying twice as much for a Ranger Aragorn:banghead

My weak self justification being it's a way to check out an InArt figure. And OK, he doesn't have a cone head or look confused like the WETA piece. Plus, I get hair. I like rooted hair when available.

I've got three premium versions on order so definitely want everything to be as close to accurate as possible. I've already handmade a real leather duster with the correct lacing and leather forearm details for my current Aragorn so would probably use that on one of the InArt figures but would be nice to get a movie accurate coat out of the box, especially at this price point.

The Asmus Fellowship Aragorn is the weakest of all with pretty much none of the outfit being close to movie accurate. Bin. ACI still has some great parts, especially the shirt and coat (which has all the correct lacing) if you can find one that hasn't fallen to bits.
share a pic of your custom duster!

Back