IMHO: Sideshow star wars line is dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow star wars line is dead

I think the Sideshow Star Wars line is doing ok, even in economic crisis time. And I say that from my simple Imperial collector point of view. I only have the Imperials from Sideshow and I'm quite satisfied with them. Maybe Star Wars is not what used to be now that the hype of the new trilogy is over, CW doesn't have the same appeal to fans, sorry, but the fans are still interested in collecting Sideshow Star Wars. I know Marvel does better than SW in keeping value, but I don't care, Marvel doesn't touch my soul as SW did in the hard times when I was a child...

I have Hot Toys figures too, MR/eFX props and GG statues, but can't wait for the last SS Sandtrooper to join his brothers in arms, for the Emperor to sit on his throne surrounded by his Imperial troops and officers, of course and can't wait to see what other OT troopers Sideshow is going to give us: Scout (with speedeerbike), Snowtrooper (E-Web cannon), Royal Guard, TIE Pilot, AT-AT Driver, General Veers in AT-AT armor, Grand Moff Tarkin with Interrogator Droid, Mc Quarrie Stormtrooper and Vader, Probe Droid, etc. etc.

The line wouldn't be dead till we have everyone here:

The line wouldn't be dead till we have everyone here:

That image is all kinds of awesome... and agreed :rock

But we could also use a Rebo Band (which is in the works) and a Blue Snaggletooth :yess:

Lets face it for once... I love the Star Wars figures from Sideshow, but they are far for being a good representation in 1/6 form.

I buy them, yes... but because the only way I can have them is from Sideshow.

I must say that when I open my sideshow star wars figures is not the same happiness that I have when I open my hot toys, medicom, DID or even some neca figures!
I take em out of the box, play a little with them, I choose the pose an then put them in the shelve.
With Hot Toys, every figure I open is like a new world, with new painting, new clothes, better bodys, better sculpts, etc. I dont get tired of watching them.

I love SW, and I love SW Sideshow figures.. but they aren't great looking figures... and for the price range $95/120 just dont make it for me.

We need a PM chain, seriously, like we have at work in case of emergencies, of course in our situation in case of insane deals. Let's all get a PM buddy and so and so on.

PMs take too long. I prefer IMs. Easier and faster. :D

P.S. The Hot Toys pole squatting is getting really ____ing old guys. :monkey4

I think had SSC committed to an entire Endor scene with bikerscouts and stuff the endor troops wouldn't seem so blah. but i digress.

I totally agree. In fact, if/when the Scout Trooper gets done, I'll bet (slightly)more interest is paid to the Endor Rebels.

Last edited:

Lets face it for once... I love the Star Wars figures from Sideshow, but they are far for being a good representation in 1/6 form.

I buy them, yes... but because the only way I can have them is from Sideshow.

I must say that when I open my sideshow star wars figures is not the same happiness that I have when I open my hot toys, medicom, DID or even some neca figures!
I take em out of the box, play a little with them, I choose the pose an then put them in the shelve.
With Hot Toys, every figure I open is like a new world, with new painting, new clothes, better bodys, better sculpts, etc. I dont get tired of watching them.

I love SW, and I love SW Sideshow figures.. but they aren't great looking figures... and for the price range $95/120 just dont make it for me.

Very very well said. A lot of u are thinking I bought the star wars line for resell value. That's not the case here people. It's all about quality!!! I merely mentioned the fact they went for crazy money on eBay because let's say u missed out on a Jedi Luke exclusive. Well guess what?!? U had to drop $200 if u wanted one. Now...$60?!?! Why?!? Because people are realizing it's not hot toys quality. People are seeing what can be done in 1/6 form.

Very very well said. A lot of u are thinking I bought the star wars line for resell value. That's not the case here people. It's all about quality!!! I merely mentioned the fact they went for crazy money on eBay because let's say u missed out on a Jedi Luke exclusive. Well guess what?!? U had to drop $200 if u wanted one. Now...$60?!?! Why?!? Because people are realizing it's not hot toys quality. People are seeing what can be done in 1/6 form.

More Hot Toys pole polishing. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet cold, hard cash that it has nothing to do with Hot Toys and everything to do with the recession, people ditching their collectibles to get cash which leads to an over-saturation of availability on the secondary market, which in turn, has knocked down the price.

I can see how spending $300 on a statue might become an easier pill to swallow if the buyer feels somewhat confident that he/she can get most of it back at some point. When the $300 piece suddenly sells for as little as $80 on the bay, some alarm bells might start ringing. There's nothing really surprising about that reaction.

I can also see how some fans might not buy into the "don't buy for investment" argument. I mean, these are collectibles, not used tupperware or bed sheets. They're certainly not cheap. I can understand a fan's hope for these things to hold some sort of value.

If you can't live with the risk that your $300 might one day only get you $50 back, then perhaps you might want to reconsider buying the piece, or sell the piece while the piece is still hot.

However, if drastically dropping prices ever becomes the norm on the secondary market, we might see more fans willing to wait to buy them on the bay as opposed to buying them directly from SS. That's what many Bowen fans do.

Last edited:

To get HT quality you need to pay HT prices. I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that with every figure they release. At least I can afford most of the figures I want from Sideshow. I can't always do that with HT. :(

Back