I cant be the only one.....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anything in general...cars rust.

yeah but car parts can be replaced... they can be restored. pretty hard to restore or replace specific parts of a figure.... u could try custom artist to fix your figure but still...
there are cars from 60 years ago that are fine.

I don't collect for posterity, I collect for myself.

Everything deteriorates with age.

yeah but how long? some recent toys are breaking down or having rubber issues after a couple of years... or they become sticky and gooey. they start to leak oil

i have toys from my childhood from 20 YEARS AGO that look like new.

but some figure or toy with rubber body and delicate leather clothing wont last more than 4-5 years before breaking? come on

Last edited:
yeah but how long? some recent toys are breaking down or having rubber issues after a couple of years... or they become sticky and gooey. they start to leak oil

i have toys from my childhood from 20 YEARS AGO that look like new.

but some figure or toy with rubber body and delicate leather clothing wont last more than 4-5 years before breaking? come on

Well, I just checked on some not-that-old HT figures - Jack Sparrow among those - can't see one sign of deterioration. Not one. That said, my poly/plastic stuff is kept out of bright direct light/heat and I set up and don't constantly mess with. Because of comments from Lego and poly collectors warning about Legos degrading in bright light - esp. white. Also collector complaints about recent use of cheaper paints, thinner poly, cheaper plastics in some statues and figs.

*Shrug* Within budget, I'm not going to NOT have a fig I enjoy - IMO there's something magic about having these 3-D renditions of a character - even if in time they MAY degrade. Re HT 1:6 anyway I would think there'd be a ****load of complaints by now if their figures didn't hold up w. reasonable care. And if you look online for some things there are fixes - not for everything, but for some stuff like yellowing plastic.

i just wish companies cared about durability as much as they cared about quality. i wish companies chose materials that wont cracked or fade. specially for the price.

Well, I've found a mental middle ground. hahah!!! WHat are some preventative measures ya'll take to ensure your figures last?

What ever you do....DO NOT clean your figures. Taking the "patina" off will drop the value.

Get a Detolf cabinet from Ikea (or something similar). Detolfs are to figure collectors as Polybags are to comic book collectors.

Keep your figures in there and you won't have too much problem with dust.

Do you guys put aside a time of the month to clean or dust your figures?

DUSTER.jpg

Back