How to sell statues on eBay with as low risk as possible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabagaZt

Super Freak
Reaction score
From what I understand, eBay gives alot of power to the buyer in every transaction. If the parcel is not insured, the seller risks to lose everything. Is there any way to make life easier as a seller on eBay? For example stuff you need to write in the description or stuff like that.

I have some statues that are worth quite a bit, but I'm not sure if I want to risk eBay if they are very "hostile" against sellers.

I've never had an issue selling on eBay. Just be sure you give a detailed description of your item, and many pictures as possible. Also take pictures of your item before shipping. I usually do that just for insurance purposes. Most buyers on eBay are honest.

From what I understand, eBay gives alot of power to the buyer in every transaction. If the parcel is not insured, the seller risks to lose everything. Is there any way to make life easier as a seller on eBay? For example stuff you need to write in the description or stuff like that.

I have some statues that are worth quite a bit, but I'm not sure if I want to risk eBay if they are very "hostile" against sellers.

Ebay gives every power to the buyer lol. One thing you have to be careful of here in the uk is most if not all will not cover fragile items. The post handlers look at me as if im insane when i say its value and say i do not want it insured.

Its fairly black and white and you have to just go with your gut instinct ie the way you pack it and what the item is.... can it make the journey undamaged...
I have just asked a guy to send me an expensive predator bust/ mask low value and as a gift. Its made from thick latex so its pretty risk free and if there is some damage like some quills off... Im happy to fix it if its saving me £50 or more.

I have never had a problem selling. You are ok if you take photos of everything and show anything that might be considered a flaw. Highlight any defects and then you will be ok. It is when people just put up one generic photo that you can have a problem. Good luck!

I have never had a problem selling. You are ok if you take photos of everything and show anything that might be considered a flaw. Highlight any defects and then you will be ok. It is when people just put up one generic photo that you can have a problem. Good luck!

:lecture Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've never had an issue selling on eBay. Just be sure you give a detailed description of your item, and many pictures as possible. Also take pictures of your item before shipping. I usually do that just for insurance purposes. Most buyers on eBay are honest.

funny i met you on eBay!! LOL

anyway, i sold a batman statue that left here in perfect shape. he declined insurance. he writes me that it showed up broken. the cape snapped off and he accused me of being aware of that. end result, eBay sided with him and i had to give back 50% and he got to keep the item!! ****ers!

the other option was to take it back from him and full refund, but what would i do with a busted statue? more hassle than its worth. after the refund, shipping, eBay and paypal fees, i had $6.85 left from a $125 sale. :slap

never again. beware.

Insurance is a joke. Unless the package is lost or the box gets crushed they aren't going to cover it If it breaks in shipping. I've been hosed by insurance both as a buyer and seller for items that broke, but because the boxes weren't heavily damaged both USPS and Fed Ex told me "sucks to be you".

Insurance is a joke. Unless the package is lost or the box gets crushed they aren't going to cover it If it breaks in shipping. I've been hosed by insurance both as a buyer and seller for items that broke, but because the boxes weren't heavily damaged both USPS and Fed Ex told me "sucks to be you".

That does suck. I've always did my best to bulletproof my packing and have had no issues.

Also mark clearly all over the package to not DROP STACK OR CRUSH in big red letters. Even something as simple as this would at least give more notice to handlers in transit.

Ebay is such a scam. I really hate how the buyers can do whatever they want. eBay is completely horrible for sellers and I wish we had other, better alternatives. Maybe Etsy or amazon will strengthen it's online seller opportunities.

As a seller insurance is your responsibility. The reason for this is because the Sender is the one required to file the claim.

Ebay also requires items $250 or more to have Signature Confirmation....Delivery Confirmation isn't enough if a Buyer says he didn't receive the item.

USPS is the only place I've ever had an issue filing an insurance claim. UPS, Fedex and DHL took a little work but the claims were paid.

I dont pay it anymore. Why pay insurance when your not covered ? Iv had the pleasure of Parcelforce smash over a grands worth of my statues and they wont pay a thing. Even marking the package as fragile, handle with care does not help. These handlers are dealing with thousands of parcels a day working long hours.
You just have to package it as well as you can and take a chance.

I sent a £700 collectable to germany a few weeks ago and it arrived damaged and wet. Yep, wet. The tracking even recorded item damaged which was really fun to wait and see how it arrived.

Agreed, just pack it to the best that you can. I wrap my stuff in bubble wrap, and pack it with a variety of filling. I don't do insurance because these handlers are the worst. I have an ongoing claim with UPS, and I filed it back in the end of August last year...still they refuse to say anything because I"m the receiver. :slap

Oh I've talked to a delivery truck driver who says otherwise.

I've been told this by all major shippers (personally and prefessionally), to at least do this for a number of years. I didn't say this was any sort of guarantee, but should anything happen to the package it's right there for everyone to see so at least you have that in your favor when trying to file a claim. Package also needs to be packed well....

So far its worked for me and I've been buying and selling on eBay for 12-13 years with no issues.

I've had guys at the post office take my package, mark it fragile then throw it across the room into a bin. :mad:

For those saying the buyers get all the benefits, what's the alternative? We know insurance is worthless so should a buyer just be SOL if something arrives broken? Sellers think every buyer is trying to scam them when in fact 99.9% just want the collectible they bought. Should the buyer have to pay return shipping? Why should a buy have to come out of pocket at all other than the initial cost of what they're buying? Saying you'll give me a refund IF I ship it back sucks because now I'm out of pocket for 20, 30 or even 40 bucks for absolutely nothing. I wouldn't put it past some bad sellers selling crap they KNOW is broken and telling you to deal witht the claim.

Basically, there is no perfect solution for either buyers or sellers, but I tend to sympathize with buyers more ( I've sold and bought ) because it's their money going out first and hoping the service is provided in return.

Back