How many would have bought the throne if it had been made of durable plastic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polystone and plastic are probably comparable in price, but I'm beginning to think Sideshow charges what it does based on costs apart from materials and manufacturing, i.e. r&d, design, etc.

I don't know. I have a hard time believing thar something like the throne required a huge amount of R&D. I think it's more likely a case of charging what the market will bear. There's not really anything wrong with that of course.

SSC charges what they do because they can. Nothing wrong with that. I wish they were cheaper but until people stop buying, aint gonna change.

Having received a broken throne. I would have preferred it in plastic. The thing is just way to heavy and fragile in my opinion. Maybe with the plastic it would have made it cheaper? But my concern is the durability. I feel the chances of that base crumbling as it did would be much lower if it were plastic. Also after seeing what that polystone looks like with out paint I see no difference in being able to recreate such good faithful deco on plastic as the poly. Polystone just seems to me as some over touted frou frou material to get people thinking they are getting some nice durable collectible. In reality I think it looks, smells and feels much the same as the 2 part resins you can make yourself from Michaels craft store.

What's done can't be undone.
They aren't going to make another throne,that's cheaper with lights.
They aren't going to give The Emperor pants.
Either you bought the throne and like it or you didn't.
I bought it and it's awesome!

What's done can't be undone.
They aren't going to make another throne,that's cheaper with lights.
They aren't going to give The Emperor pants.
Either you bought the throne and like it or you didn't.
I bought it and it's awesome!

Nobody's expecting them to go back and reissue the throne in plastic. But this is a valid discussion to have when it comes to future releases, no?

I would have preferred hollow polystone because it is extremely heavy for something that is limited aesthetically given it is a flat piece of stone. Nevertheless, I don't think it would look as nice if it was plastic. I wasn't too happy about the plastic Jabba, but a full 1/6 in polystone would have been really heavy as well. Don't know, it was okay the way it turned out, but I sold my set because I wasn't entirely happy with it. It's nicer than the other manufacturer's versions.

I would definitely have bought it, cause I buy everything from this line.:google:lol

Yes I believe that plastic can look as good, if not close. Ought to cost much lesser and is more durable.

I would support the idea.:hi5:

Edit: However for item like Yoda's Hut Environment, I would favor Polystone since texture of the wall ought to be better represented.

This is why if Sideshow ever makes a 1:1 Han in Carbonite it will be made of sculpted polystone and not cast from the original prop like the Illusive one. Just look at their sculpted Indiana Jones 1:1 idol and you'll see just how far off it is from the actual prop.

I can foresee freaks here having the Plastic vs Polystone debate when Sideshow does the Jedi counsel seats or perhaps Tarkin's chair?

The council chairs wouldn't be a problem in polystone since they are solid, but if you were to make a semi circle with Yoda, Mace, Plo, Obi Wan, or any other council members that would be a hefty price tag.

Not to mention a hefty display (weight-wise).

Puay brought up Tarkin's chair. That would be a cool item but I'm not sure if it would look good having him sitting but without a table in front of him. It's not like the Emperor's throne, which was by itself.

Still, I really liked the design of the back-rest.

I can foresee freaks here having the Plastic vs Polystone debate when Sideshow does the Jedi counsel seats or perhaps Tarkin's chair?

Tarkin's chair?!?! :lol Doubt they'd make that or the Imperial Officer's table.

I want plastics
<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xop4ynasH_g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

Sideshow, make it happen.

To state our preference? Who knows, maybe Sideshow might even listen (although I doubt it).

Personally, I don't understand why things like the throne have to be made of polystone. They should be able to make something that looks and feels identical (except for the weight) by using plastic, and charge only a fraction of the price.

I think some are missing the point here- we'd prefer that Sideshow offered cheaper styrene plastic environment accessories rather than the polystone stuff.
They also can probably produce smaller runs doing polystone, however, but it IS possible to make things in styrene for small runs at a decent price. And styrene can look far better than the polystone.

Styrene items would be much less expensive, AND customizable (and easier and less expensive to ship).

The point of this thread, I imagine, was just to call attention to the fact that we'd love more environment pieces, but the price points are laughably high. Go styrene. It would be much better on several levels.

Sean

:yess::clap:lecture

Thank you guys for understanding what I was trying to convey in my first post. If Sideshow wants to sell their items at premium price points, they need to provide value that justifies their cost. That's why I mention LED lights, a metallic lightsaber, magnetic arm rests, etc. If not, then just release it as a hollow plastic throne for a much cheaper price. That way, more people can justify the cost to spend their hard earned money on these items, and customizers will have an opportunity to spend the extra money to make it the way they want to cut holes in the back and add lights, magnets, etc.

Oh and just to reiterate; as a consequence of using plastic molds, these items will be a lot more durable too! :D

Last edited:
If they added lights, magnets and lightsabers to this set it would have been $250 and rotted on their warehouse floor.

Back