How do you guys afford this hobby

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 31, and my collection has been growing through the years in direct correlation to my bank account. Been working full time for 10 years and I recently started to collect full time.....Unfortunately my collection is outgrowing my bank account. I schedule my finances according to pre-order release dates.

Thank god for pre-orders...it is the proverbial "best friend's couch" i can always crash on.:pray:

To own a Hot Toys figure at age 18 is like hitting the jackpot. I only say that cause when I was 18, I had no allowance and worked as a busboy only making about $100 a week. Then during college, I busted my ___ working two jobs to pay for tuition, food and bills. After working 3 years at UPS and saving up a bit, I moved on to a office job in the city, making a decent amount. The key is to plan and save and watch what you buy. Some time down the road, you're going to say to yourself "Did I really need to buy that statue?" It's an expensive hobby, if you have the cash, then you're good, if not, get it little by little. Sorry for boring everyone, now lets have some LEMONADE!!!!

I've gotten to the point where I have quite a lot of surplus in my collection... so one way to finance new stuff is to sell off the old. Not always a perfect science, but generally I sell off about as much as I buy per month anymore.

But, as others have said I also work :lol

I buy only figures I have a strong interest in and don't see selling off later. It also helps that I have a well paying job and no debt, except for only a mortgage payment. After I set aside a fixed amount each month into a Joint bank account my wife and I share for paying the mortgage and household expenses, the rest is discretionary.

Great thread, and interesting to read peoples responses. I wont repeat what others have said...but I will. Work save and only buy what you love. Watch the pre-order and it gives you plenty of time to start setting money aside and flex pay is your friend :)

I pulled myself from bed every morning to go to the office and face the boss. At the end of the month, he gives me some money to pay for this hobby. :)

:lol :rotfl :lol :rotfl

I had to think about that one for a while! :hi5:

I guess saying, "saving up for High-end > cheaping out and brown-bagging" would've made more sense? Though, given the topic I was replying to, cutting a hole for the mouth could lead to several complications anyway. Unless you're into asphyxiation. Then it doesn't really matter. :huh

I affrord it by managing my money properly and balancing the money I have between this and my social life. Although my social life suffers severly at times due to this hobby :lol

I affrord it by managing my money properly and balancing the money I have between this and my social life. Although my social life suffers severly at times due to this hobby :lol

My man Drew's got things figured out .............. never trade an awesome collection over socializing/women like some of the dweebs here do. You're only young once ........... get out there and get some ass Drew. :rock

Back