How about this idea for ordering the next SS Limited edition.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth dypshyt

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Sideshow team..:D

With the obvious popularity of the new spiderman limited exclusives over the past couple of weeks. Both, have sold out in less than what, 10 minutes...I have an idea that might make it "fairer", especially to those who say, might be at work, and can't access the net..or who are ASLEEP, because it is 3 in the morning..:rolleyes:

How about having something like a lottery...that lasts for the whole business day. Everyone who wants one of these, can either place an order, or somewhere on the SS site, there could be a place where people could register, much the same as a waitlist.

And, after the close of business for that day, (an 8 hour period, instead of 10 minutes....) you guys have a list of probably a couple of hundred names. Then you can pick the 75 names at random from that list, and inform those people that they have that order now, and it will ship soon. And, then if they decline...you still have a waitlist of people right there!:D

I remember in another thread here somewhere, Dusty saying that the 9am PST was the only way they could be fairest to the MOST amount of people. Well, by my way of thinking, this way is pretty darn fair to everyone. Not just people who happen to be on US time, and those people who also happen to be near a computer also. I mean, for BOTH of these spiderman LE's have you noticed it's been the "usual suspects" getting them? Or, maybe they are the only ones interested in them?? Not that this is sour grapes or anything, I am not interested in spiderman that much anyway...

But, if in future something DID come up that I wanted, I would rather loose the opportunity of puchasing it to someone in a lottery, rather than the mad dash at 9am PST.

If anyone else doesn't think this is a fairier/better option, or maybe they think these types of things shouldn't be fair at all?? Survival of the fittest/fastest and whatnot. Or maybe there is another way that someone else has that they think would work?..The discussion is open.

But, Just a thought/question, to see what you guys at SS thought.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, but I would rather it be left up to me to try and get one as opposed to someone picking for me based on luck to see if I can buy it. I've missed my fair share of exclusives because I wasn't fast enough, but oh well, if I want it that bad I'll fork over the money elsewhere.

I am one of the sleepers in the morning at 03 am :D

I am a Sideshow freak and do not even visit other collectible sites. Accordingly I do not find it fair that these very extreme limited ones can be ordered only from USA.

Nobody should advise that I can order from Sakhalin Island. Even if I will wake up at 3 am in the morning, the internet lines of Russia is so bad that there is no chance I might get one in 10 minutes.

Would appreciate if SS can come up with a priority ordering or like some solutions as offered by darth dyp****

Domer said:
Why? They are all sold.... mission accomplished.

Yes...but how many will be re-sold rather quickly at DOUBLE/TRIPLE the price?? I am surpised that SS hasn't caught on to this yet, and start charging $6-700 for these LE...

Wonder how quick they would go then...When the people who don't really want them, get them first and flip 'em for $$$$ and make the REAL fans/collectors pay.

It's basically SS saying, "for the first 75 people to call in, we are giving you $750, but you only have to pay $275.."

But, that's going down that road again, isn't it??

I am going to be the odd ball here and say that I think that idea is pretty fair but I wouldn't want it implemented all the time. These past few products with edition sizes of 75 mostly go to flippers. With a random lottery at least everyone gets a fair chance. Let the rock throwing commence.

Collecting has never been about whats "fair". No matter what you collect, you will at some point in your collecting life miss out on something you wanted. Its then you position as a collector to either hunt that item down, no matter the cost or time spent, or simply realize you can live without it. This whole idea of collecting needs to be "fair" for everyone is a pipe dream. I have spent the last 15 years collecting and missing items, and never have I taken the stance that "insert company name here" needs to be more "fair" so I can have something I missed.

Everyone who wants this will end up being just as bitter when they never get picked and someone else gets picked everytime. Also, if you think about it, this gives flippers just as good a chance as anybody else if not more so. I would venture to say there are more people willing to flip these pieces than keep them and this would give more flippers a chance at the item.

I think that SS should just never announce the ES of any piece prior to preorder even if its already set. Then the people who really wanted one would end up ordering and if it was limited to 25pcs, nobody would have had any idea until after the fact. What a cool surprise it would be.

And yes, this would somewhat make people order every item in case its super limited and then cancel when they find out its not, but SS could nip or capitalize off of that by charging 10% non refundable deposit on every preorder. I know most would disagree about the deposit, but I dont see any harm in paying 10% to back out of a purchase I had commited to. And constant flippers would get tired of paying the 10% trying to guess the rare pieces and stop doing it eventually. :monkey1

I definitely think that Sideshow should implement this lottery type of system for certain select items to keep things fresh. But I wouldnt want to see it all the time for every single item.

It would be a nice fun way to try for a new product though.

Personally, and I'm not saying this just because I have been able to get some of these pieces, but I don't like the idea of a lottery. One of the things that has always bothered me with some companies is when they produce an item that is not available to the general public. For instance, Christmas gifts only given to select individuals, such as Gentle Giant has done and even Sideshow in the past, or exclusives available only in certain countries, such as the Weta Kong mini figures or the Spider-Man Bust International Version. If a company is going to produce an item, no matter how limited, I want a chance to buy it outright! I don't want to have to take my chances with a lottery, or that I will be able to obtain it from some store in another country.

The world isn't a fair place and doing a lottery doesn't make it any fairer. On these super limited pieces, I admit that those on dial-up are at a disadvantage to a degree, but if someone really wants an item, why couldn't they go over to a friend's or relative's house who has high-speed, the local library or an Internet Café or business with high-speed connections? Granted, there are some who live in very rural areas that won't have any of these, but I guess that is the price you pay for living in what is probably a very beautiful setting with low crime and none of the stress of more urban areas. And even those on high-speed who complain, your computer is a big part of the process. My computers at home aren't the fastest and for something like Black & White Friday, I didn't want to trust them so I used my computer at work which is much faster. Again, if you don't have a fast computer, there are usually options to find a way to be on one for a short time. I say, if you want the piece bad enough, you can find a way to have just as fair a shot as anyone else. I'm sure some here will argue my points, and they probably have some valid points as well, but Sideshow has looked at this issue in the past and made some changes based on customer feedback already. You will never please everyone, and right now, I think this is about as fair as a company can get. I am willing to possibly miss out as long as I have a chance to purchase it. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
It will never happen. And if it does people would go banana's and Sideshow would alienate and piss off more people than help them. I myself have a big issue with a lottery. If you want something bad enough find a way to get it.

Imagine if other companies did that...Playstation 3 is a good example. There would be riots if a lottery system was initiated. First come first serve, that's the way it should be.

For some reason, every time I hear someone complaining that something is not fair, it is usually an issue of "sour-grapes"...in other words, someone has not gotten what they consider to be their rightful share of something or other.

Well, SURPRISE! The world is not a fair place. Live with it.

As far as my own experiences with Sideshow's practices regarding these ultra-limited editions, I have lost as many of these as I have succeeding in ordering. I lost both grey Hulk issues, and I won both of the Spidey specials.

How did I do this...I LEARNED how Sideshow's ordering system functioned, and adjusted to it. Plain and simple.

For crying out loud folks...Sideshow has bent over backwards to make their system for these limiteds equitable...Stop trying to jury-rig a system that 'ain't broke.

B.

Last edited:
Well said Bsherris....I couldn't agree more!!!

Do any of you suggesting a lottery realize the work involved on Sideshow's end to do a lottery. First off a new software program would need to be created to gather all potential buyers within a time frame. Sideshow would then have to randomly select the names of buyers equal to the number items produced. They would then need to contact each person individually to confirm that they still want the item. They would then have to enter the persons information manually into their system to hold the piece.

mmmm....let me see...based on lottery system...a 75 piece edition size...1 week or more into total processing time.

OR

Same system we have now that works great....75 piece edition size....5 minutes.

It seems like a no brainer for me!

With the obvious popularity of the new spiderman limited exclusives over the past couple of weeks. Both, have sold out in less than what, 10 minutes...I have an idea that might make it "fairer", especially to those who say, might be at work, and can't access the net..or who are ASLEEP, because it is 3 in the morning..

No offense but SS is a US based co. so it only makes sense that their business be conducted during regular US times.

I as a US citizen have missed out on several "overseas" items cause the co. doesn't even sell their products here in the US. That's just life. Concider yourself lucky SS even sells their products direct overseas.

The lottery system is horrible. PPO are the best way to go.

I think that SS should just never announce the ES of any piece prior to preorder even if its already set. Then the people who really wanted one would end up ordering and if it was limited to 25pcs, nobody would have had any idea until after the fact. What a cool surprise it would be.
I agree 100%. Don't announce the edition size at all. Also not listing the item as "super, ultra, ..." rare in the newsletter the prior week is a good idea. Scalpers see that and it's a red flag.

the lottery is a great idea. Many customers here have super fast internet making us regular speeders a bit in the dust. I know I can upgrade my internet to something faster but I will not do it just for Sideshow limited products.

occulum said:

And yes, this would somewhat make people order every item in case its super limited and then cancel when they find out its not, but SS could nip or capitalize off of that by charging 10% non refundable deposit on every preorder. I know most would disagree about the deposit, but I dont see any harm in paying 10% to back out of a purchase I had commited to. And constant flippers would get tired of paying the 10% trying to guess the rare pieces and stop doing it eventually. :monkey1

How about combining the two ideas? For all exclusives, there is a lottery, but the production run is not announced until after all deposits have been collected from the lottery winners.

Last edited:
BSHERRIS said:
For some reason, every time I hear someone complaining that something is not fair, it is usually an issue of "sour-grapes"...in other words, someone has not gotten what they consider to be their rightful share of something or other.

Well, SURPRISE! The world is not a fair place. Live with it.

Live and die by your statement B. Stop complaining about the lottery if you really feel this way.

Back