1/6 Hot Toys vs Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonautika

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I have recently decided to start collecting more 1/6 figures with an emphasize on Star Wars. I currently own 4 Hot Toys figures, Han and Chewie, Starlord and Christopher Reeve Superman. I have owned a couple of Buffy and Hellboy figures from Sideshow in the past. My question is this what are peoples thoughts on the quality of the figures from Sideshow? I had considered sticking with only Hot Toy figures as that is what I have and they look very nice. The problem is there are some very beautiful looking figures that are available through Sideshow and no telling if Hot Toys will make them anytime soon i.e. C-3po, R2-D2, Red Five Luke Skywalker. How would the Sidehsow figures look next to the Hot Toys? Is there noticable difference in the quality? Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

You should buy what looks good to you. The rule for me on sideshow tends to be robots and aliens are good from Sideshow anything human faced, Hot Toys will be better quality. Sideshows human paint apps fail right now though their sculpts are quite good.

The Luke X-wing pilot is a great release aside from the horrid headsculpt paint. I have mine with the helmet on and it looks ok next to the Hot Toys figures. Until Sideshow can prove their paint is getting better it will be tough to pay Hot Toys prices for any human figure for me to Sideshow.

Do you just want the list of the Sideshow Star Wars figures worth getting?

Best 'human' Sideshow figure: The Emperor

Best aliens: Bossk, Hammerhead, Tusken Raider

Best robots: R2-D2, IG-88

If you really want clones, check with Weejedi.

Sideshow should turn their focus back to aliens and robots. I think when they started attempting more human sculpts and upped their prices when the quality isn't quite there is where they've ran into criticism.

Do you just want the list of the Sideshow Star Wars figures worth getting?

Best 'human' Sideshow figure: The Emperor

Best aliens: Bossk, Hammerhead, Tusken Raider

Best robots: R2-D2, IG-88

If you really want clones, check with Weejedi.

I only own three clones, plus Cad Bane in Denal disguise. So four I guess.

As far as SSC figures worth getting....

Any alien.
Any clone.
Any droid.
Assajj Ventress
General Grievous
Emperor Palpatine
Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious Two Pack
Darth Vader
Jango Fett if he is your favorite character or if you love the PT, if not.... pass on him.
Boba Fett
Sandtrooper held up good
Any of there 1/6th enviornments

Hot Toys should be your go to company though for Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Kenobi, and any troopers.

Most of SSC human figures show there age in sculpts and the body. I have ROTS Kenobi/Anakin, Mace, Ilum Padme on display and the sculpts look old and historic. I still like them, but they are not representative of the actors or on screen characters. Mostly idealized versions.

As far as SSC R2, he is a great figure. Fits right in with the Hot Toys OT stuff.

I wanted to go for a ROTS display, so I picked up SS Grievous (prob the only version of him we'll get), Hasbro Dooku (essentially panel lined his face with pastels and color pencils to bring out the sculpt), and the SS Chancellor/Sidious 2 Pack. Then I found a custom Obi Wan with a great repaint, a Darren Carnall Sith Anakin, and a Custom Mace Windu.

People are starting to unload their custom SS figures that often look better than retail pieces. It's heavily dependent on luck, but you should browse the Buy/Sell thread for good SS pieces. The general rule of thumb is get it if it looks good to you, then get it. The quality varies so much because of the time span that you need to be very particular (Jedi Luke to DX Vader). But SS does have some good looking figures.

There's actually a pretty good number of older Sideshow figures I think look good that I wouldn't mind having. All aliens and robots but I'd like to get: Greedo, Hammerhead, Bossk, IG-88, and a Tusken Raider. I like the environment pieces they did too like the Mos Eisley Cantina pieces and Yoda's hut,

I wanted to go for a ROTS display, so I picked up SS Grievous (prob the only version of him we'll get), Hasbro Dooku (essentially panel lined his face with pastels and color pencils to bring out the sculpt), and the SS Chancellor/Sidious 2 Pack. Then I found a custom Obi Wan with a great repaint, a Darren Carnall Sith Anakin, and a Custom Mace Windu.

People are starting to unload their custom SS figures that often look better than retail pieces. It's heavily dependent on luck, but you should browse the Buy/Sell thread for good SS pieces. The general rule of thumb is get it if it looks good to you, then get it. The quality varies so much because of the time span that you need to be very particular (Jedi Luke to DX Vader). But SS does have some good looking figures.

Funny, that Hasbro Dooku is a pretty darned great figure for the $20 I spent on him back in the day. One of the only Hasbro figures besides Jar Jar that I display :)

What does it mean that SSC figures show their age in the sculpts? Forgive some of my newbie questions.

The biggest frustration is the price hike.
The Hot Toys OT Heroes I actually do not mind paying £200 a figure for. They are timeless and look almost real.

This time 12 months ago I was able to get Sideshow Snowtrooper, Bossk, Bly, Tusken Raider... each at less than £100.

I got Wolffe and Hammerhead for under £65.

Fast forward 12 months and the same standard figures of the Tie Pilot, Scout, Luke XWing, C3PO and ATAT Driver are costing £200+.

This is very frustrating as the quality does not match the costs doubling. All of the above are figures I would like, but will find myself skipping.

Funny, that Hasbro Dooku is a pretty darned great figure for the $20 I spent on him back in the day. One of the only Hasbro figures besides Jar Jar that I display :)

Yeah got him for $20 last year and I'm really happy with him. :)

Wouldn't mind a good upgrade though..

The biggest frustration is the price hike.
The Hot Toys OT Heroes I actually do not mind paying £200 a figure for. They are timeless and look almost real.

This time 12 months ago I was able to get Sideshow Snowtrooper, Bossk, Bly, Tusken Raider... each at less than £100.

I got Wolffe and Hammerhead for under £65.

Fast forward 12 months and the same standard figures of the Tie Pilot, Scout, Luke XWing, C3PO and ATAT Driver are costing £200+.

This is very frustrating as the quality does not match the costs doubling. All of the above are figures I would like, but will find myself skipping.
The thing that bothers me with pricing is how rapidly Sideshow has been upping their asking prices. I pointed out a while back that Sideshow put up the Scout in July or August of 2014 (don't remember for sure but around then) for $189, the Tie Pilot in January of this year for $199, and the At-AT Driver in October for $209. So a $10 increase between Trooper variants which I honestly don't understand. Particularly in the case of the Tie Pilot and AT-AT Driver that share a lot of parts and were put up for order within less than a year of each other. I can't see how the price increased that much in that short of a time.

Hot Toys has seemed more gradual with their increases and usually the figures that are priced higher are popular characters that will sell or figures that are more complex where the higher cost is somewhat justifiable. Other than that prices go up but not in $10 increments over a short span like seen with the three Sideshow figures I mentioned.

Sideshow Troopers are not bad but HT just much better, better molding, better paint. For Human figure, no doubt HT is much better eventhough some sculpt just not there 100%. But paint app and sculpt is miles ahead superior than SS. If you are go for TFA line, HT no doubt is first choice

I have recently decided to start collecting more 1/6 figures with an emphasize on Star Wars. I currently own 4 Hot Toys figures, Han and Chewie, Starlord and Christopher Reeve Superman. I have owned a couple of Buffy and Hellboy figures from Sideshow in the past. My question is this what are peoples thoughts on the quality of the figures from Sideshow? I had considered sticking with only Hot Toy figures as that is what I have and they look very nice. The problem is there are some very beautiful looking figures that are available through Sideshow and no telling if Hot Toys will make them anytime soon i.e. C-3po, R2-D2, Red Five Luke Skywalker. How would the Sidehsow figures look next to the Hot Toys? Is there noticable difference in the quality? Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Buy only HT.

SSC just can't produce anything comparable to HT.

Also, HT will probably end up doing the droids as well as X-Wing Luke. Just wait and don't spend your money on inferior SSC sculpts.

Back