Hot Toys The Last Jedi Luke Skywalker 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the big dumb toy I bought to photograph with Luke is Hasbro's sixth-scale dewback from roughly twenty years ago or so. It is as limited and archaic and frustrating as you would expect a giant toy from that era to be, but I owned it once before, so I knew what I was getting into, added to which there's simply no way I will ever be able to afford the much prettier Sideshow dewback.

The tail is mostly hollow, with a rubber skin. On the recommendation of Michel Crawford from his long-ago review (https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_91400.htm), I cut a slit in the bottom of the tail so I could stuff it to try to minimize its tendency to fold in on itself and wrinkle; in some shots you can see where it is cut open along the bottom of the tail, ha ha.

The first time I owned the dewback I'd purchased it used, and the paint around the face was pretty beat up, so this time I was looking forward to an improvement in that respect, but alas, this one was sealed and there were already paint rubs on the face. Classic.

I paid far more than this clunky, giant lizard is worth (about $75, if I remember right), but what can I say, I really wanted Luke to ride a damn dewback.

I'm pretty happy with the photos, even if the dewback isn't quite an aesthetic match for Luke or the natural surroundings.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

I never used it in a Star Wars context the first time I owned it. Instead, I used it as a steed for NECA Bilbo and He-Man:

On this Luke-and-dewback shoot, it was something like a five-mile round-trip hike spread out over six hours, and that damn lizard is heavy. I will probably add him to my toy shelf at work, although I might bring him to the ocean for more photos someday. I'd trade or sell him now that I'm essentially done with him, but shipping him would be a nightmare!

Meanwhile, there is another old Hasbro sixth-scale Star Wars critter on its way, and I have owned it before, too, and it is a blast to photograph:

Pasture
by Monte Williams, on Flickr​

It might be a bit too goofy-looking for somber old Luke, but I'll see what I can do.

Nice, really nice! Can't believe how good the Dewback looks in these shots. I might consider searching for one myself and repainting.

Cool shots Monte. I didn't know Hasbro even did a Dewback.

While it might be heavy I'm sure it's way lighter than the SS Dewback ! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, really nice! Can't believe how good the Dewback looks in these shots. I might consider searching for one myself and repainting.

Cool shots Monte. I didn't know Hasbro even did a Dewback.

Thanks, folks. I find the dewback charming despite its many issues. Crawford suggested that it doesn't really look like a dewback, but to whatever extent that is true, it doesn't bother me, and honestly, I prefer its appearance to that of the Star Wars Black dewback. The sixth-scale Kaadu is actually a much, much better toy, but the design is of course nowhere near as beloved or iconic.

As for painting it, irezumi, its skin in most places is very rubbery; I don't know how well paint would adhere to it.

Having never learned Photoshop, that is pure witchcraft to me. Well done!

Having never learned Photoshop, that is pure witchcraft to me. Well done!

There are plenty of cheap photo editing software programs that can remove things like the backpack straps extremely easily. Seriously like 10 seconds. Brush over it and it's gone.

I use Pixelmator. It's way cheaper and easier than Photoshop and they have many detailed "how to" videos online. Also a great Forum etc

Editing out a few things here and there can make the world of difference. These programmes have really come a long way since the early days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need Monte's life.

Ha ha, not many would envy me; most would find my life too quiet and dull. It sure suits me, though!

Meanwhile, I wanted to photograph Luke alongside C-3PO, but the idea didn't mean nearly enough to me to warrant Hot Toys prices, so I bought the old Hasbro 12-inch C-3PO figure from the late '90s for about thirty bucks. Alas, he is slightly oversized, and his head is massively oversized, added to which his shiny finish reproduced poorly in my photos, so instead I paid about $12 for just the C-3PO from the Target-exclusive Force Awakens three-pack featuring 3PO, BB-8, and R0-4LO. I suspect BB-8 and R0-4LO would be quite viable with a paint wash to help the details pop, but since I don't have them in hand I can't be sure.

For a proportionate retail price of ten bucks, however, C-3PO is a quiet little masterpiece. He, too, would greatly benefit from some weathering, especially on the somewhat distractingly bland red arm, but man, the sculpt is staggeringly good, and he photographs well. While the quality is obviously a tiny fraction of a Hot Toys figure, if you're on a budget like me you could do a hell of a lot worse!

C-3PO Collage.jpg

If he had two golden arms, I would be completely content with this cheap, mass retail figure!

Warning, though, in case I've persuaded you to nab him: aside from a negligible twist at the hips, he has no leg articulation whatsoever.

I forgot to add:

I've discovered a new editing trick, for those of you who use PicMonkey (and I'm sure the rest of you can find an equivalent gimmick in whatever editing software you favor): from their Themes menu, in the "Demons" sub-category, I used the green option in the Harrowing Hue tool to bring back to life the dried-out moss in a nearby creek bed. I probably overdid it in my excitement, but that's not an indictment of the tool itself.

Exile Comparison.jpg

Monte...

Your review, your comments and most especially, your gallery of shots is amazing. As one who enjoys getting a great figure outside in some cool environments for shots, I have a special appreciation for your efforts. . They really showcase what a great figure this is and how perfect it is outside! Thanks for sharing these...can't wait to see more.

So the big dumb toy I bought to photograph with Luke is Hasbro's sixth-scale dewback from roughly twenty years ago or so. It is as limited and archaic and frustrating as you would expect a giant toy from that era to be, but I owned it once before, so I knew what I was getting into, added to which there's simply no way I will ever be able to afford the much prettier Sideshow dewback.

The tail is mostly hollow, with a rubber skin. On the recommendation of Michel Crawford from his long-ago review (https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_91400.htm), I cut a slit in the bottom of the tail so I could stuff it to try to minimize its tendency to fold in on itself and wrinkle; in some shots you can see where it is cut open along the bottom of the tail, ha ha.

The first time I owned the dewback I'd purchased it used, and the paint around the face was pretty beat up, so this time I was looking forward to an improvement in that respect, but alas, this one was sealed and there were already paint rubs on the face. Classic.

I paid far more than this clunky, giant lizard is worth (about $75, if I remember right), but what can I say, I really wanted Luke to ride a damn dewback.

I'm pretty happy with the photos, even if the dewback isn't quite an aesthetic match for Luke or the natural surroundings.

I never used it in a Star Wars context the first time I owned it. Instead, I used it as a steed for NECA Bilbo and He-Man:

On this Luke-and-dewback shoot, it was something like a five-mile round-trip hike spread out over six hours, and that damn lizard is heavy. I will probably add him to my toy shelf at work, although I might bring him to the ocean for more photos someday. I'd trade or sell him now that I'm essentially done with him, but shipping him would be a nightmare!

Meanwhile, there is another old Hasbro sixth-scale Star Wars critter on its way, and I have owned it before, too, and it is a blast to photograph:

Pasture
by Monte Williams, on Flickr​

It might be a bit too goofy-looking for somber old Luke, but I'll see what I can do.

Nice shots! Love the natural surroundings.
Dewback has potential. Just need more work on the tail to make it look more natural. The fold (towards the end of the tail) gave it away instantly.
Add some paintwork, matt it to take the gleam away, and I believe it can stand proudly alongside the Sideshow version with head held high.

Lovely shot, Comatoast!

And thanks so much for the kind words, jedibear!

Nice shots! Love the natural surroundings.
Dewback has potential. Just need more work on the tail to make it look more natural. The fold (towards the end of the tail) gave it away instantly.
Add some paintwork, matt it to take the gleam away, and I believe it can stand proudly alongside the Sideshow version with head held high.

I have since done some minor additional work on the dewback's tail, stuffing it more thoroughly and gluing the slit sealed. I don't paint toys, though, so his sheen is for keeps, alas. Probably a moot point, as I may never photograph him again, although taking him to the beach is still an intriguing notion. Sadly, the ocean is a couple hours from here, plus Mezco Popeye and his boat are my top priority for an eventual ocean shoot.

I’d love to pick one of those up but they only seem to be available in the US and shipping is bananas, lol.

I'd like to sell or trade mine, but I probably won't, and for the same reason; shipping would be an expense and a hassle!

Moving on, I had an image in my mind of Luke in full exile mode, either collecting Jedi relics or simply wandering a planet... and talking incessantly, seemingly to himself, but in fact he is carrying with him the lone remaining piece of an old friend, damaged in some battle or another but not so damaged that he cannot maintain a prissy running commentary on the various indignities he has endured...

01.jpg

I'd like to sell or trade mine, but I probably won't, and for the same reason; shipping would be an expense and a hassle!

Yeah. I love the visuals of Luke on the back of any kind of a creature, and i wonder if it might not be more fun to sculpt one for him. Just something bizarre. I am compiling a folder of suitable concepts just in case the opportunity presents itself.

Moving on, I had an image in my mind of Luke in full exile mode, either collecting Jedi relics or simply wandering a planet...

That's a great visual. I'd watch that show. It could be like Kung Fu. Luke going from place to place, helping people out and moving on.

Back