1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Luke Skywalker-CRAIT (Force Projection) -

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in on Crait and Old Man Luke. Out of respect and adoration for Hamil and Skywalker. I passed in the TFA Luke but would look twice if I came across and good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, as much as the Sequel Trilogy disappoints me in how it handled Luke I have the deluxe Luke from this film pre-ordered and will probably get this one. I wish I had gotten the version from The Force Awakens.

I definitely pre ordered this one because hey, it’s Luke Skywalker. OT always reigns supreme and I see the problems with the ST, but I will say Luke’s ending is really Jedi-like. “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” Which is exactly what Luke did. Saved the Resistance and technically wasn’t even there. I agree with a lot of the issues in the movie, but I do find that part pretty damn cool. Plus his outfit looks great, has a ROTJ vibe to me.

I see the problems with the ST, but I will say Luke’s ending is really Jedi-like. “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” Which is exactly what Luke did. Saved the Resistance and technically wasn’t even there. I agree with a lot of the issues in the movie, but I do find that part pretty damn cool. Plus his outfit looks great, has a ROTJ vibe to me.

My sentiments also.

Fortunately the bee-sting astral-projection gag ends in death, so we don't have to worry if every Jedi and Sith we encounter from here on out are even really there.

Can you imagine the retcon? ...Was Vader even actually at Cloud City? Did he really set foot on Hoth? Did Vader even pilot that TIE fighter?

Luke's "presence" on Crait and his death was absolutely horrid. Such a cheap handling of that character. Now had he used the Force projection in the same way minus dying from using it I might think a bit differently on it. If he just used it to one up Kylo and the First Order it would have been fine, but the fact he died from using it is complete and utter BS.

Fortunately the bee-sting astral-projection gag ends in death, so we don't have to worry if every Jedi and Sith we encounter from here on out are even really there.

Can you imagine the retcon? ...Was Vader even actually at Cloud City? Did he really set foot on Hoth? Did Vader even pilot that TIE fighter?

Did Vader even really die on DSII in RotJ?

giphy.gif

Yeah, as much as the Sequel Trilogy disappoints me in how it handled Luke I have the deluxe Luke from this film pre-ordered and will probably get this one. I wish I had gotten the version from The Force Awakens.

Dunno - I never got that TFA Luke but I saw it for the first time in person at a LCS a few days ago, and I thought it looked kinda weak as a fig overall. The boots are just bizarre looking.

I think the hermit/backpack Luke is the best - unless they redo the sculpt on this fig. This fig represents an older Luke that doesn't have the "Obi Wan Skywalker" or "I-just-wanna-die" SW homeless guy vibe.

This figure should come with alternate jumbo hands like he appears in that shot in the movie. Like he's wearing some TRU hulk hands because of the lens distortion or something.

Luke's "presence" on Crait and his death was absolutely horrid. Such a cheap handling of that character. Now had he used the Force projection in the same way minus dying from using it I might think a bit differently on it. If he just used it to one up Kylo and the First Order it would have been fine, but the fact he died from using it is complete and utter BS.

I always take grievance with this. At first I didn't much like it, but then I realised - the only ever two Jedi, at least in the films, that managed to become one with the force were Yoda and Obi-Wan. He cast himself across a galaxy and then did the same crap that Yoda did. Presumably becoming a force ghost that only Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Qui-Gon have been able to do.

The reason why I ultimately liked it is because Luke finally became an ultimate Jedi Master, in the same vain as Yoda. He sent himself to exile and went a little bit whacky, just like Yoda also. I think in the end if you have a problem with Luke "dying" after force projecting then you should have a problem with Obi-Wan mid-fight becoming one with the force when he was fighting Darth Vader.

At the time, I wanted an ultimate showdown with Luke doing all this crazy jedi crap. In the end, what we got was a nice sombre and bitter-sweet culmination of Luke realising his duties after his actions and transcending himself and just being a Jedi. I'm happy that he faded away looking at the two suns - like I said, at first I thought it wasn't great, I was annoyed because even though I didn't know what I wanted, I knew I wanted something big. I realised that it was big in and of itself, and really poignant.

Ultimately I don’t like the idea of him not being present for his death. It just feels cheap that he essentially used too much of the Force and that killed him. For being a Jedi Master I just don’t think that was a fitting death.

I feel like in the case of someone like Obi-Wan his fate was different. He probably knew that it was his time and he probably wouldn’t have defeated Vader. I just feel like for a character of Luke’s caliber to have him go out like he did is just a disservice to him, the franchise, and the fans.

I didn’t want a super action packed prequel style duel with Luke or anything but I’d have liked him to have been present and done something more rather than dying in isolation on a planet from using too much Force power.

I agree his death felt a bit abrupt and unexpected on the first viewing, but rewatching and reconsidering the movie I have a hard time thinking of any ending that could possibly be more epic for him. And for me it doesn't make much difference whether he was physically on Crait or not, since he had clearly projected every part of himself into that form.

For people to dismiss it as simply a "hologram" doesn't really do justice to what that was and what he was doing.

The reason why I ultimately liked it is because Luke finally became an ultimate Jedi Master, in the same vain as Yoda. He sent himself to exile and went a little bit whacky, just like Yoda also. I think in the end if you have a problem with Luke "dying" after force projecting then you should have a problem with Obi-Wan mid-fight becoming one with the force when he was fighting Darth Vader.

At the time, I wanted an ultimate showdown with Luke doing all this crazy jedi crap. In the end, what we got was a nice sombre and bitter-sweet culmination of Luke realising his duties after his actions and transcending himself and just being a Jedi. I'm happy that he faded away looking at the two suns. I realised that it was big in and of itself, and really poignant.

My sentiments as well.

What I liked about it is that he went out on his own terms without getting struck down in lightsaber combat like Obi-Wan did, or getting defeated. To me, I like to think that he invoked the most valuable lesson that Yoda had taught him on Dagobah in ESB, by using his greatest ally: The Force. I also really liked the fact that his death scene involved him staring at the twin suns, just like he had when his journey began. It was very poignant indeed.

One could disagree with the manner in which he died, but I don’t think it could have gotten any more epic than having him stare at the twin suns again to conclude his journey.

At first I wasn’t really sure what to make of it, but I realized that I personally found his death very fitting for the character and was satisfied with Luke Skywalker’s journey in SW.

His death was handled well. Not how he got there. It's so obvious they're swapping out the old guard to sell new toys. At least do it in the wake of wanting to tell a story that's not choking people with an agenda.

Nobody tell them they forgot about Chewie :lol

I'm probably preordering this as I have some issue with the Rotj headsculpt. There is already unpainted customs out there kicking its ass.

Ultimately I don’t like the idea of him not being present for his death. It just feels cheap that he essentially used too much of the Force and that killed him. For being a Jedi Master I just don’t think that was a fitting death.

I feel like in the case of someone like Obi-Wan his fate was different. He probably knew that it was his time and he probably wouldn’t have defeated Vader. I just feel like for a character of Luke’s caliber to have him go out like he did is just a disservice to him, the franchise, and the fans.

I didn’t want a super action packed prequel style duel with Luke or anything but I’d have liked him to have been present and done something more rather than dying in isolation on a planet from using too much Force power.

I think it's fair enough that yourself and others feel that way, I guess it's what you take away from all the star Wars films. However I still have to disagree.

I don't think he "died" as such. I don't think him projecting himself, (like mentioned on the next page from davejames, it's simply not a hologram, he has actual presence there by giving Leia Hans' dice) killed him, I think, like I mentioned earlier, he transcended himself and became one with the force, it was befitting, he finally forgave himself, was at peace with himself and with where the Galaxy was heading, exactly like when Yoda "died" I don't think Yoda actually just died, he had finally taught a new Jedi and was happy with what he had done to set the ball in motion for Luke overthrowing the empire (take into account the PT and it's Yoda passing the torch over to a new generation of Jedi, just like now Luke passing the torch over the Rey and the others, his job was done). He's not the last Jedi anymore, he's taught Rey, and more than that he's inspired hope again, and sort of in a 300-esque way it was never about defeating Kylo or the first Order, it was simply showing that there's people out there to fight them and that they can't always win, or to show that even a God can bleed.

So I mentioned already that I really actually like that Luke did what only Yoda and Obi-Wan managed to do, which was to become one with the Force. With Obi-Wan I don't entirely think he would have died fighting Darth Vader, (I mean film wise Alec Guiness wanted out) but the whole point of that was to teach Luke a lesson in trusting and using the Force, it's a theme that runs throughout the OT. And ultimately, Luke's final showdown with the Emperor and Darth Vader was never about strength or saber skills, it was using his empathy and himself to make Vader see the good in himself which then defeated the Emperor.

Now like Yoda, Luke exiled himself, but for different reasons, forgive me I've not seen the film myself since it released. And whether you think it's befitting of Luke or not, I think he's personally allowed a moment where he gives into his darkness to kill Kylo when he was trainging him. So he sort of goes mad and is against himself on that island. So him force projecting himself then becoming one with the Force (Yoda if I remember correctly basically tells him to kill the old ways) is a redemption, forgiveness of himself and Luke teaching a lesson, he undermines and potentially defeats Kylo and the First Order by showing himself, making Kylo doubt himself by showing how he used to look when Kylo knew him - essentially he was fighting them the same way he fought Darth Vader and the Emperor, it was never about killing them, it was about trying to bring out the good and also to show that there's people to fight against their bad.

Upon reflection, I think it was a pure continuation of Luke's character from the OT, that's why I think it was bittersweet, sombre and poignant. He taught Rey and the others of hope and to continue fighting, he helped train her in the force and Jedi ways and helped ignite the new Rebellion helping them to escape, he essentially did what Obi-Wan did to Luke at the end of A New Hope. And with Kylo, he's done what he did with Darth Vader, making him doubt already than he was the dark in him, and showing up the First Order by stopping the last crush of a rebellion. And finally, like Yoda and Obi-Wan, after fulfilling his purpose and redeeming himself, surrenders to the force, not dying from using the force.

I don't know, I still think people are entitled to feel hurt over it. Like I said at first viewing I was really unsure. Then reflecting more on it, it was probably the ebst way they could have continued Luke's arc. I mean, sure, like all of the new trilogy it's just pretty much mirroring themes and what happened from the OT (PT ftw), but even still, I'm actually really happy with the result.

And further than that, this figure looks ****ing great!

His death was handled well. Not how he got there. It's so obvious they're swapping out the old guard to sell new toys. At least do it in the wake of wanting to tell a story that's not choking people with an agenda.

Nobody tell them they forgot about Chewie :lol

I'm probably preordering this as I have some issue with the Rotj headsculpt. There is already unpainted customs out there kicking its ass.

Even in terms of swapping out the old guard to sell new toys, I’ve always been surprised at the lack of Luke related merchandise. Everything OT is Han or Vader or Leia, and everything ST is Rey and Kylo. Even places like Teepublic for t shirts, where people submit their own designs, really don’t have a lot of Luke centered stuff.

I was really worried this figure wouldn’t get made for those reasons, but luckily Hot Toys has been good at giving Luke his due.

Last edited:
I agree his death felt a bit abrupt and unexpected on the first viewing, but rewatching and reconsidering the movie I have a hard time thinking of any ending that could possibly be more epic for him. And for me it doesn't make much difference whether he was physically on Crait or not, since he had clearly projected every part of himself into that form.

For people to dismiss it as simply a "hologram" doesn't really do justice to what that was and what he was doing.

I was hoping for Luke to be struck down like Old Ben except by Kylo. Not only would it pay nod to the original but provide the legitimate reason for a force ghost luke/projection at all. (guiding rey in the last episode as a ghost just and kenobi did in ROTJ)

Chewie and Ackbar were blatantly disrespected/ignored in a manner that cannot be defended.

That's one of my many TLJ story gripes actually. Ackbar should have done what admiral pink hair did. He was a known character befitting going out like that, would have raised the movie a bit!

The big problem I have with it is that I don’t think Rian Johnson did it because that’s what he thought was best for the character or to the overall arching story of the Star Wars saga. He made a film that was very much about putting his own stamp on and in doing so basically spat in the face of a bunch of others fans.

He did it along with a number of other things in the film seemingly to pull the rug out from the expectations of what most fans thought would happen next. He tried doing something more artsy than was called for in my opinion with the entire film.

I like his other films but it kind of seems like he was the wrong choice for a Star Wars film or at least for one of the main saga films. He didn’t want to play by the rules of a franchise film and did what he wanted, fans be damned.

I don’t feel like he respected the character of Luke or really the franchise and it’s fans. Hell even Hamill has been pretty vocal about not liking how Luke was handled.

I actually liked the film at first but the more I watch it and really think about it I can’t stand it. That sucks to say as I liked The Force Awakens despite being safe and had high hopes for the sequels. I hope Abrams rectifies some of the wrongs in Episode IX but the damage has been done.

Back