Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review Otaku :clap
Those intro poses are top notch. The untwined fingers one is the one I will be most likely stealing!

Awesome review Otaku Surf:clap You reinstated my faith in receiving this set.

Just got this in hand and initial reaction is it’s a bit of a disappointment. He looks happy from any top-down angle, which I would think is how most people’s shelves are. Top of the detolf he’s still smiling like some jolly old fart.

It’s also a tricky figure to light depending on your display. With top lighting the hood completely puts the sculpt in shadow. A shame as it has nice paint work and great detailing.

I remember being a bit unsure about Tarkin when all the talk was just about hoping he would be made, one part of me was thinking the Emperor made more sense as the one old baddie but Tarkin can also serve as the de facto Emperor in an ANH-centric display. But Tarkin was a stunning achievement and instantly impressive out of the box. Not feeling that with this figure yet.

Yeah with that robe and expression it's clear that this is going to be a really challenging and frustrating figure to work with and light properly. In fact this is the first figure that I'll probably want to keep as much in shadow as possible, as any kind of light on his face just makes him look too damn joyful.

Just saw palpatine at nycc and he looked great in person. Throne is huge and nicely done. I was a major skeptic but glad I have the dx ordered. Not perfect, but it did look great, as did Sith anakin, maul, and jango. I have to say, lando skiff looked really nice too. I will get it once released, as who knows when ht will do one.
Side note: the sideshow people have no idea about hot toys. I talked to girl who does sideshow live and she was really nice. I mentioned the beloved Death Star trooper and she had no idea what I was talking about. Didn’t even know the prototype existed at other cons.

This is the look they were going for
338403329bbeec9a6e004b900d6f63e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yep. I think it’s been mentioned once or twice. :lol

Great review Otaku :clap
Those intro poses are top notch. The untwined fingers one is the one I will be most likely stealing!

Thank you and have at it! The moment I saw those hands with the fingers in the box I knew exactly what I wanted to use them for.

Awesome review Otaku Surf:clap You reinstated my faith in receiving this set.

Thank you very much, and I'm glad to be of service!

Agreed. Fantastic review.

Much appreciated!

Finally got my hands on the emperor, and for the most part I really like it. I really like the job they did on the face and the throne.

Did a little review below on my thoughts.

Nice review Otaku !

Definitely some space to cut that throne peg down a bit. Looking at it at this angle it almost looks too tall.

Should only need 7-8mm taken off going by what you could achieve with the legs/feet in the seated position.

bf409c46a1dd5fd98a6f5b4c642effe0.png

Side note: the sideshow people have no idea about hot toys. I talked to girl who does sideshow live and she was really nice. I mentioned the beloved Death Star trooper and she had no idea what I was talking about. Didn’t even know the prototype existed at other cons.

Well there you go !

Lets just call it like it is. Hot Toys makes what Howard wants and that's it.

I think it looks pretty damn good.

Probably needs a lot of manipulation of the hood to get it right but I’m sure he will be great.

I’m going to upgrade to deluxe
As well. Not getting another figure for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review Otaku !

Definitely some space to cut that throne peg down a bit. Looking at it at this angle it almost looks too tall.

Should only need 7-8mm taken off going by what you could achieve with the legs/feet in the seated position.

bf409c46a1dd5fd98a6f5b4c642effe0.png

But the HT throne is the correct distance off the floor (and you can repeatedly see the throne's height off the floor in the movie) - if you lower it by nearly a centimeter, it's going to look like a "lowrider" throne and look a bit weird, even if it then allows the feet to touch the floor.

And also, what's that going to do to resale value if the cutting-down can't be "undone"?

If I had a raised detolfs and different lighting I'm sure I could get this working. Sculpt really is excellent from certain angles.

View attachment 429146
Great shot TonTon:clap
Finally got my hands on the emperor, and for the most part I really like it. I really like the job they did on the face and the throne.

Nice review...you have him looking fantastically creepy..

Nice Job Otaku, great video editing, looks professional....what software? Vegas?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Back