Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just got delivered from popcultcha, so that was a month in shipping almost but well worth it! There are so many batteries to install in this thing or are they extras? Also, how do I open the panel that the Dagobah battery pops into? That?s the only panel on R2 that I couldn?t immediately open.

I had to use a thin screw driver for that one.

So I am new to the 1/6 world. I spent hours yesterday reading through every post on this forum last night, and I watched some video review comparing the TFA and the Deluxe. One Youtube video stated that TFA and Deluxe R2 units are not the same. The bodies and domes are different, and only the legs are shared between them...I like them both and want to buy one asap, though I am not into the yellowish color and staining on the TFA dome, though if that is all I can get, I'd be still happy.

1. I just signed up for the waitlist on Sideshow's website. What does this mean? It indicated that if someone canceled their order I can get it? Anyone know if they are planning to make more of the Deluxe ones?
2. Is the Sideshow one being released in the fall just a re-issue of the last one? Any chance it could be a worthy competitor to the TFA or Deluxe in terms of detail, metal dome, etc.?

Thanks.

So I am new to the 1/6 world. I spent hours yesterday reading through every post on this forum last night, and I watched some video review comparing the TFA and the Deluxe. One Youtube video stated that TFA and Deluxe R2 units are not the same. The bodies and domes are different, and only the legs are shared between them...I like them both and want to buy one asap, though I am not into the yellowish color and staining on the TFA dome, though if that is all I can get, I'd be still happy.

1. I just signed up for the waitlist on Sideshow's website. What does this mean? It indicated that if someone canceled their order I can get it? Anyone know if they are planning to make more of the Deluxe ones?
2. Is the Sideshow one being released in the fall just a re-issue of the last one? Any chance it could be a worthy competitor to the TFA or Deluxe in terms of detail, metal dome, etc.?

Thanks.

Sideshow R2 will be a straight re-release, maybe fewer accessories (didn?t know they were re-issuing it) ... in my opinion and that of several others, it?s not a competitive product. Comparatively flimsy, slightly narrower if I recall, inferior paint.

I?ve owned all 3 and only have the Hot Toys Deluxe now; if you want to be satisfied and done, get yourself one of those. It looks crisper and nicer in terms of paint than the TFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideshow allows people to join a waitlist once their supply of a product is sold out. If they have returns/cancellations or receive additional stock they'll use that inventory to fulfill waitlist requests. First come, first serve basis, so; when you join the waitlist, how many people are ahead of you, and how many cancellations/returns they have impact your odds of a conversion.

Sideshow R2 will be a straight re-release, maybe fewer accessories (didn?t know they were re-issuing it) ... in my opinion and that of several others, it?s not a competitive product. Comparatively flimsy, slightly narrower if I recall, inferior paint.

I?ve owned all 3 and only have the Hot Toys Deluxe now; if you want to be satisfied and done, get yourself one of those. It looks crisper and nicer in terms of paint than the TFA.

FYI - the Sideshow one coming out: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/star-wars-r2-d2-deluxe-sideshow-collectibles-2172

Makes me wonder why they would release it so soon after the Hot Toys ones.....

Sideshow allows people to join a waitlist once their supply of a product is sold out. If they have returns/cancellations or receive additional stock they'll use that inventory to fulfill waitlist requests. First come, first serve basis, so; when you join the waitlist, how many people are ahead of you, and how many cancellations/returns they have impact your odds of a conversion.

1. So very likely I will never hear back on my Waitlist...?

2. Besides ebay, anyone have any suggestions of where I can find a Deluxe?

3. Do I need to be worried about fake ones when buying on ebay? I noticed a bunch of them are coming straight from China.

Thanks.

1. So very likely I will never hear back on my Waitlist...?

2. Besides ebay, anyone have any suggestions of where I can find a Deluxe?

3. Do I need to be worried about fake ones when buying on ebay? I noticed a bunch of them are coming straight from China.

Thanks.

1. Impossible to know. We have no idea how much inventory they received, if COVID is holding up shipments or inventory, how many people joined the waitlist, how may cancellations/returns there will be, etc. It doesn't hurt to join the waitlist. If you feel you NEED to have this figure it might be wise to purchase elsewhere, including eBay, before the price goes even higher.

2. Nowhere that I'm aware of. You could settle for the regular, check the sales section on this site, or check out the Facebook BST groups. Otherwise, eBay might be your best bet. I see some listed now for about $70 over retail, if you include shipping costs.

3. Not that I'm aware of as long as you buy a boxed figure. I don't know of anyone entirely replicating the packaging and all of the accessories and what-not. eBay buyer protection has you covered in the event the seller tries to scam you. Regardless, always check the feedback of the seller to avoid unnecessary headaches.

1. Impossible to know. We have no idea how much inventory they received, if COVID is holding up shipments or inventory, how many people joined the waitlist, how may cancellations/returns there will be, etc. It doesn't hurt to join the waitlist. If you feel you NEED to have this figure it might be wise to purchase elsewhere, including eBay, before the price goes even higher.

2. Nowhere that I'm aware of. You could settle for the regular, check the sales section on this site, or check out the Facebook BST groups. Otherwise, eBay might be your best bet. I see some listed now for about $70 over retail, if you include shipping costs.

3. Not that I'm aware of as long as you buy a boxed figure. I don't know of anyone entirely replicating the packaging and all of the accessories and what-not. eBay buyer protection has you covered in the event the seller tries to scam you. Regardless, always check the feedback of the seller to avoid unnecessary headaches.

1. You mentioned "You could settle for the regular" Do you mean TFA version? OR is there a HT version out there without all the gadgets, but the same body and dome?

Thanks!

FYI - the Sideshow one coming out: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/star-wars-r2-d2-deluxe-sideshow-collectibles-2172

It appears to be just a straight re-release of the 2015 figure. They would not put the money into making improvements without charging more and marketing it as an improved version.

The Sideshow R2 is fine but the Hot Toys version is better, though I still have mine to go with the rest of Sideshow's droids. I also have the HT Deluxe R2, but sold the TFA R2.

I always say it's cheaper in the long run to get what you really want instead of making compromises. If you're not 100% happy and settle for something, you might end up selling it at a potential loss later and buying what you really wanted in the first place anyway, possibly at a higher price.

So if you really want the Hot Toys OT Deluxe R2-D2, get it now. They may make more, they may not; no way to know. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and be okay with paying a bit more for something even if it becomes available again for less later if you really want it. Because that's better than not getting it at all, or paying even more down the road.

If this is going to be your one and only 1/6 R2-D2 in your collection, the OT Deluxe is a better representation than the TFA one.

Last edited:

I think they may be focused on the ROTJ version since HT does not come with the drink tray and this does. Plus with the recent release of Endor Leia it makes sense to coincide that release with their R2. Still does not have the extra tools that came with the original exclusive.

Original

720bcff170eee298cca1f021f7b394b5.jpg

53eaed7d40e69d2558b5b9690f10efdc.jpg

dc31e61b077ad71540ecc679787520f3.jpg

ac4a92ee1348f188e1a57ec6bf1431f2.jpg

New one

Back