Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine yesterday. I love it! But holy cow, the batteries in the holo-deck thing drain fast! They started dimming before I finished taking a few photos. In MINUTES!!!
Anyway, I had to put every attachment on him... that's why I picked him up. I also have the SS & Tamashi. I like the SS, as he's with Jabba serving drinks. & I like my Tamashi, cause he goes great with the Tamashi 3P0.
View attachment 478077

Haha, I love this shot! Looks like he's about to inflict some serious pain on someone. :D

..... Do you have a side-by-side with the SSC and Tamashii?

Sure do. Here's all of my (except the Hasbro from ages ago) 1/6th scale R2's.
They are Sphero, Hot Toys, Sideshow, & Tamashii. It's been a while since I've held the Tamashii, he usually sits in a Detolf next to 3P0. I forgot how heavy he is!
20200208_081930.jpg

I kept the attachments out on them (if they had attachments. The Sphero has none), & lights off.
20200208_081903.jpg

Here's just the Hot Toys, Sideshow, & Tamashii
20200208_082403.jpg

That small little detail was the deal breaker for me. I love the stand with the character plaque. R2 on both versions coming without is simply unacceptable.

Yeah what is with that Hot Toys ? Why does literally every other figure come with a stand but not R2 ??

I personally don't like stands much, but if they are used, you need to have some consistency in the lineup at least.

I know it's next to the Sideshow here, but the Tamashii looks monstrous in this pic. Could you take a shot of just the Tama and the HT side by side?

What's funny is I wouldn't be able to say which dome was real metal between the Sphero, HT, and Tama. Only the SS there looks like it's too flat gray to be actual metal.

Yeah what is with that Hot Toys ? Why does literally every other figure come with a stand but not R2 ??

I personally don't like stands much, but if they are used, you need to have some consistency in the lineup at least.

Agree with you and Bo. I don't use stands but R2 should definitely have one, especially if the eventual 3PO is going to have one. If I did use stands I would try to get the Tamashii stands from their R2 and 3PO figures, they're pretty cool, they have a Tantive IV theme and they match and have name plates.

So anyhow, I just got this figure and it's overwhelmingly good. I was very happy with the TFA R2 in part because there's nothing to it, just plop it down and it looks great, two legs or three legs, that's the only thing you can change. With those limitations aside, there were only three things that bugged me with it -- the fact that you couldn't turn off the projector light while having the normal lights on, the slightly yellowish-green plastic and the blue panels on the dome didn't seem right, way too glossy and it seemed to cheapen the effect of the metal dome.

The only pros I would give to the TFA one now are the weathering (not the yellowish color, but the grime, as I still like it). The back panels of the ANH figure seem to have build up in the corners as if there's supposed to be some weathering but they're clean. And then just the fact that all the panels are flush to the body, since they're glued down, as some on the ANH one are a little wonky, but that's sort of the price you pay with having them all open up.

Not sure what to say except that the accessories are all large and impressive looking, great to have pretty much everything you could ever want outside the drink tray, and nice to have the life scanner again, which I would often use when I had the Sideshow R2. Even the lights on this version seem superior to the TFA one but maybe my batteries were getting old on the TFA one.

[...]
What's funny is I wouldn't be able to say which dome was real metal between the Sphero, HT, and Tama. Only the SS there looks like it's too flat gray to be actual metal.

I had the Tama briefly before selling it off because of the dome. In hand there's no mistaking it, even from a distance IMO -- the Tama looks like glossy plastic. Beautifully finished with depth so not cheap, but glossy plastic.

[...] So anyhow, I just got this figure and it's overwhelmingly good. I was very happy with the TFA R2 [...] things that bugged me with it -- [...] the slightly yellowish-green plastic and the blue panels on the dome didn't seem right, way too glossy and it seemed to cheapen the effect of the metal dome.

I used to have the TFA and as I've already said, something about this I like better. I thought it was the cleaner white finish alone, but come to think of it maybe the blue panels were different, but I can no longer recall. This is just a very satisfying R2.

The fit an tolerances on my panels are excellent for the most part. Anything not sitting tight and flush I'd have to look for, and if anything add to the realism that this is a mechanical creature that *does* stuff.

I had the Tama briefly before selling it off because of the dome. In hand there's no mistaking it, even from a distance IMO -- the Tama looks like glossy plastic. Beautifully finished with depth so not cheap, but glossy plastic.

I used to have the TFA and as I've already said, something about this I like better. I thought it was the cleaner white finish alone, but come to think of it maybe the blue panels were different, but I can no longer recall. This is just a very satisfying R2.

The fit an tolerances on my panels are excellent for the most part. Anything not sitting tight and flush I'd have to look for, and if anything add to the realism that this is a mechanical creature that *does* stuff.

I saw the Tama once at Midtown Comics and was impressed by it but already had the TFA version by that point and the dome didn't do it for me -- still a head scratcher that they didn't make it metal. I also was never crazy about the rivets and the kinda simple-seeming look of the tools.

That said, if the HT had never existed or been previewed I would have jumped all over it to go with my Tama 3PO. Kinda sad that it got stuck in licensing limbo for so long the way it did.

I'll take some pics to show the panels and some differences between the two R2s. I've been getting some kind of underwhelming releases so far (like ROTJ Luke deluxe when I already had the original, ROTJ Stormie when I have the ANH one), and I kinda expected this R2 to be the same, but with all his gadgets and the nicer finish I'm surprisingly pretty thrilled.

It?s a great piece for any Star Wars fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....... Could you take a shot of just the Tama and the HT side by side?.....

Sorry it's taken so long. I've been living at work the last few days. Anyhoo, side by side with only Tamashii & HT...
20200209_183003.jpg

Some 3 legged stance shots as well. I do like the Tamashii's better in this configuration.
20200209_183654.jpg

20200209_183851.jpg

Wow, that hologram really looks great on the SS table. Thanks for all the pics, Rusty!

Considering the original Tama prototype (when 3PO was first shown) was undersized it's great that they made it probably the best sized one.

If I was planning on having multiple R2's I would have picked one up without hesitation. Still have it on watch at amazon to see if the price ever happens to plummet.

[...]Some 3 legged stance shots as well. I do like the Tamashii's better in this configuration.[...]

Looking at your photos a couple of things come to mind:

The Hot Toys R2's third leg should not be extended fully -- it doesn't need to click into place to hold position and fully extended it's actually too far, throwing off both the appearance of the leg and the angle of the body.

There's more ankle articulation available in the Hot Toys R2 to futz it into a screen accurate position.

(The Tama does look excellent in tripod mode without any futzing -- they nailed that part as I recall)

Not bothered by the rivets, or the ring - it's the notches in the hinged panels that bug the crap outta me.

Sorry it's taken so long. I've been living at work the last few days. Anyhoo, side by side with only Tamashii & HT...
View attachment 478316

Some 3 legged stance shots as well. I do like the Tamashii's better in this configuration.
View attachment 478317

View attachment 478318

Thanks for the pics. I'd love to take a caliper to those two R2's - it's really hard to figure out what the size difference is between the Tama and the HT R2 - in some pics the Tama looks a bit bigger in certain ways, but in other pics they seem about the same size. I wonder what the shoulder width, overall height and dome diameter comparisons are between the two.

Also, I notice in the pic that even the Tama's feet don't quite sit flat on floor.

Not bothered by the rivets, or the ring - it's the notches in the hinged panels that bug the crap outta me.

Yeah, it's as strange a choice as the no-metal dome (given their 3PO's key appeal was the metal) to ruin the accuracy of the front of the body by doing that - all for what, so some silly panel can be popped open to put in tools/arms that only 10% of people will ever display?

You could understand it if was on the back for access or something. It's something you'd expect on an R2 clock radio, not a $200+ figure that's in a crowded 1/6 R2 field with only screen/sculpt accuracy separating them.

It reminds me of Sideshow ruining the accuracy of IG-88's shoulder bells with clearly visible big cuts simply so he can be put in crazy poses that only 10% of collectors would ever do and IG himself wouldn't have been capable of based on his onscreen details.

Yeah, I never could figure out that design choice. The dome was the deal-breaker for me but the notches were a close second. Rivets didn't bother me at all.

Back