Hot Toys or NECA?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better, Hot Toys or Neca?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 164 90.6%
  • Neca

Votes: 17 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically CelticP was bringing back a scenario in which Gigerfan was wrong just to prove a point. But yeah, that hatchet really should've stayed buried.

Now Sandman, I get that you were serious with this thread but as a newcomer, most people aren't aware that arguments between NECA and HT happen a lot here. The less often the two are compared (even thought they're apples to oranges), the better for all of us. Sadly, this is the road such a thread is destined to take. I'd be glad that most people gave good advice and were serious about the whole thing. Problems are bound to arise, though. You just gotta roll with the punches.

^^^Listen to that sandman ,blade knows what he is talking about:)

Last edited:
My inbox groans... It's patently obvious who the trolls are in this thread. I'm interested in the opinions of adults, not kids with too much time on their hands!

Sandman, really. You've gotten plenty of serious advice and opinions here. A comparison like this won't go smoothly, just because there are hardcores on both sides. I'm surprised things went as well as they did the first couple threads. I'd say an argument or two in an eight-page thread full of otherwise-useful advice is a good enough win.

Be happy, and it seems you've already made a decision. So... it wasn't a total loss at all.

Yes, I'm well aware there has been some serious advice and opinions, I didn't come down in the last shower. If the off-topic posting continues, I'll report it to the moderators. You included, Blade3327. I'm NOT interested in advice form kids.

Last edited:
Don't lump Blade3327 in with the trolls, he's more adult than the rest of us here.

Any thread goes off-topic at various stages and unfortunately this one was inevitably going to go nasty as this forum's NECA threads have sadly been frequented by one particularly trollish individual for some time now. He keeps coming back no matter how often hes banned and repeats his previous behaviour. We're to blame aswell because we always rise to him.

However, I think the result of your poll speaks for itself, and you have the recommendation you were after.

Sigh... I'm not interested in kids politics and boogiemen. I'm only interested in mature people expressing an opinion about the questions I posed. Yes, I am leaning more toward the hot Toys side of things at the moment, but I would really like to hear from lots more people before I weigh everything up and make a decision.

Wow ..not even 10 posts and he is already whining about trolling ..your new here so..id say spend more time at this forum and get to know the other users a bit more before you start acting like an a---ole and accusing good genuine freaks of trolling!

Your not giving a very good first impression imo.

whoops!:slap ..was that off topic!?

Yes, I'm well aware there has been some serious advice and opinions, I didn't come down in the last shower. If the off-topic posting continues, I'll report it to the moderators. You included, Blade3327. I'm NOT interested in advice form kids.

Honestly, I fail to see why you're lumping Blade3327 along with trolls, especially given that he's been very insightful and calm with the answers he's given you.

Frankly, you won't be able to get a definitive answer since both companies have their own strengths, weaknesses, and intended market.

Hot Toys is at the top of the high-end 1:6th scale collectible market. They've proven themselves with all the figures they've made spanning a lot of licenses. Incidentally, they do have the most licenses amongst all 1:6th figure manufacturers. As far as collectability goes, many of their figures go up in price, some faster than others, such as their Predator figures. So, if you want to think of your collections as investment as well, then go for HT. Granted, their figures aren't 100% accurate, but frankly, no company has ever had 100% accuracy to the source, NECA included. However, it's guaranteed that all of their figures would make excellent display pieces, and coupled with much articulation 1:6th industry is known for, it means that you'd more often than not get wowed by any of your purchase. Same is true for Enterbay, DiD, Soldier Story (if you're into modern military), SS to some extent, etc. excluding Medicom.

The problem with HT is that it really is an investment, especially if you're going to go for the previous releases. Just take a look at how much P2 City Hunter Pred and P2 Elder Pred are going for. High-end collectibles are also not known for their robustness, and should be given care, especially if your figures have rubber parts, such as muscle bodies, etc. Some components and accessories may also be fragile, especially when some components have intricate detail (like DiD's Samurai line). Collecting larger scale figures also mean that you'll also invest in shelf space.

NECA figures, on the other hand, specialize in 7" and 18" figures (I'm not sure in what scale those are. 1:10 and 1:4 or something respectively, I think) and is at the top of that industry. however, their money-maker is their 7" line. Unlike Hot Toys' figures, their figures are intended for the mass market. As such, their figures are robust and are made to last. Think of these are very high-end toys. They also have very amazing sculpt, which is much more remarkable in their 7" figures. Being mass market action figures, they are also very, very affordable. However, their figures have very limited articulation, even their 18" line. If you're into collecting statues, etc. then you won't get bothered by this and you might find it a welcome change to be able to put it in very limited poses (much more than what a statue can give you, obviously). Also, their figures are all sculpted, even the 18" ones, so it won't topple 1:6th figures in terms of detail. However, this also lends to the figures' robustness since you won't worry about any accessories or clothes breaking or getting lost. Their 18" figures are even much much more affordable than HT's figures. It won't also be much of an investment, as it doesn't go up in value as much as high-end collectibles do. But you will do have much fun with them, especially since they can handle rough handling. Another minus is the fact that NECA figures tend to have very sloppy paint applications, which further negates collectability.

So again, they both have strong and weak points. So what you choose really depends on what qualities you're looking for in your collection.

Personally, I chose 1:6th figures, particularly HT and DiD (and a bit of SS, SSC, and Crazy Owners) because they carry the figures and licenses I'm interested in, and I highly regard displayability, detail, and articulation. Other people's mileage varies, and possibly so does yours. Whatever you choose, it's you who wins as long as you're happy with your purchase.

I used to collect HT preds & aliens, but ended up dumping 'em off when I kicked the 1/6 habit. They are beautiful figures, but the main thing that turns me off is the fragile bits and rubber parts. I had aliens that were already rotting within a year of release. I have no idea if the current stuff has those issues though :huh Space is a factor for me as well, these guys do add up to a lot of shelf space when you get your collection going.

I really love predators though, so now I'm just going to get my cheap fix through the NECA figures. Hopefully they revisit some AVP designs in the new line.

Sandman, if you go the HT route I'm sure you'll enjoy them, they are very impressive in person. Despite the issues I've had with 'em, they were always visually stunning pieces.

I'd definitely steer clear of HT's (and Medi's) Aliens. Seems to be one thing, like DX02 TDK Batman, that they just can't get right. Never, ever had a problem with the preds though. And I've been collecting since the beginning.

This post is in and of itself trolling. The repetitive and incessant namecalling on your part is no different than those who were doing the same to each other. It makes no difference whether you're the OP or someone popping in to add their 2 pesos. IMHO this ridiculous and inciting thread has run it's course anyway and should be closed. In the future, just use ebay pricing to make your decision for you. The poll results were blatantly obvious from the start of this poll. The same poll on Spawn.com would likely garner the opposite results so I'm not sure what went through your head making it here in the first place unless it was just to start flame wars. Anyway, you have your landslide answer.

This thread should be closed. It seems the OP wants the debates to continue.

I'll throw in my 2 cents before this thread is closed.

I love NECA figures. Atm they're one of my favorite toy companies and the put out a nice product for the price but overall, I gotta say HT is better imho. NECA has some great sculpts sometimes rivaling HT's (the Pred for example) but, and maybe this is a bad example, but when I look at my NECA RE5 Chris Redfield and my HT Chris Redfield, while both are great, HT's overall is the better figure. Also I have yet to see a sloppy paint job on an HT product where as for NECA, all but maybe 2 or 3 figure needed at least a little touch up in the paint department. I've also had a few NECA figures and their accessories break on me, some right out of the box. Haven't had that problem with HT (though I did break the clip on Chris' compass thing but that was my fault because I was careless).

Anyway long story short, both comapnies are great and both get my money, while overall I think HT has better quality stuff, it's not a knock on NECA either. NECA has proven that at the very least can rival HT in the sculpt department, and if NECA made some more 1/6 and 18" figures and improved on the paint, I belive SS and HT would have a bit of competition.

Well, now we know the next person who won't last to 100 posts before getting banned. :cuckoo:

Chill out kid, seriously.

But the price says it all, the invoice technique is better in HT. Neca products (18") costing 1 / 3 of those of Neca. The sculptures of human faces are very good either, but for creatures alien/Predator Neca's sculptors are better. For the price/ quality ratio Neca is unbeatable, I think it is clear to all.

But the price says it all, the invoice technique is better in HT. Neca products (18") costing 1 / 3 of those of Neca. The sculptures of human faces are very good either, but for creatures alien/Predator Neca's sculptors are better. For the price/ quality ratio Neca is unbeatable, I think it is clear to all.

It is. The poll says everything that needs to be said. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back