Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don’t have my pick-up notification for this figure, so I don’t believe that it’s fully shippped in HK at least.

If it’s true that this followed the pattern with Koska, well HT were selling that figure a few weeks ago for USD 100 brand new.

I still don’t have my pick-up notification for this figure, so I don’t believe that it’s fully shippped in HK at least.

If it’s true that this followed the pattern with Koska, well HT were selling that figure a few weeks ago for USD 100 brand new.
There is a difference popularity wise between Koska and Obi-Wan though, we need to remember that.

Until the next boom.
Precisely. And we’re approaching it too, in my opinion.

I’ve always poo-poo’d the Sideshow preordering practice because I generally have an issue with it given its lack of adherence to proposed timelines, susceptibility to externalities, and most notably, the fact that the product I’m shown in a preview can be markedly different than the final. I’m also not sure I feel great about giving money to them to sit on for upwards of 2 years when the VAST majority of their figures WILL sell (of course there are exceptions - looking at you, new trilogy figures…).

That said, HT is leaning harder into the 1/12 model: lots of (inaccurate) mold reuse, longer wait times, peppered with quick-out-the-door releases. I used to get into fights on JTA years ago because the archives line in the black series absolutely detracted from the mainline - there are finite production facilities and employees so the detraction is TIME. It’s not like HT has a special, extra team that JUST works on the Kenobi Mandalorian Armor release; it’s the same folks.

What is this all leading to? I can’t speak for all of you, but for me, I’m losing patience (not in an angry way) which is causing me to lose interest. I just can’t get excited about something scheduled for release 18-24 (but really, closer to 26-28) months out. I’m active on a lot of other threads here on CF and if DiD, as an example, can produce beautiful, arguably better and more worthwhile offerings, my excitement and interest and money will start to move out of SW.

I realize that’s just me, but I’m probably not alone. It’s why I abandoned 1/12 almost in its entirety despite amassing a monstrous collection over the years.

I don't like the idea of putting all that money down on a figure that won't be out for maybe 2 years. I tend to end up buying from someone on eBay at inflated prices after it is released. I think moving forward I will be very selective about what figures I add to my collection.

I don't like the idea of putting all that money down on a figure that won't be out for maybe 2 years. I tend to end up buying from someone on eBay at inflated prices after it is released. I think moving forward I will be very selective about what figures I add to my collection.
Same. Life happens, and right now my budget is tighter. I have to be extremely selective with what I want. I want a Sidious so therefore he goes into the collection, but the new Maul would be cool to have. I don't have "cool to have" money right now.

I don’t think like £20 for a deposit is all that much money in this hobby.

I don’t think like £20 for a deposit is all that much money in this hobby.
Agree completely but I’m not sure I understand the point of forking over a NRD for a product 2 years out that runs the risk of not looking like what was advertised - and then being forced to just forfeit cash.

Why do I need to help Sidehow/Hot Toys with their forecast? They are producing a finite amount.

To be clear, my position mostly pertains to HT/SS. There are great, smaller retailers like Kit or Timewalker where I totally understand the need to PO to help them gauge what is ordered. That’s a different story.

Sideshow/HT should either shorten the release timeframes, make deposits refundable once the FINAL product is revealed, or open a defined window so all folks can order “exclusives” or limited runs. Let’s not pretend that all of this NRD/PO/line queue stuff is just a tactic to instill FOMO. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agree completely but I’m not sure I understand the point of forking over a NRD for a product 2 years out that runs the risk of not looking like what was advertised - and then being forced to just forfeit cash.

Why do I need to help Sidehow/Hot Toys with their forecast? They are producing a finite amount.

To be clear, my position mostly pertains to HT/SS. There are great, smaller retailers like Kit or Timewalker where I totally understand the need to PO to help them gauge what is ordered. That’s a different story.

Sideshow/HT should either shorten the release timeframes, make deposits refundable once the FINAL product is revealed, or open a defined window so all folks can order “exclusives” or limited runs. Let’s not pretend that all of this NRD/PO/line queue stuff is just a tactic to instill FOMO. Nothing more, nothing less.
I get you, but if you want it you either gotta risk it or pay over the odds later.

Yeah, I think we’re coming to an end of the days of ‘wait and see’ how an item turned out. HT and SS got burned but the glut of product they’re still sitting on at big discounts. If you want something now, preordering is the best way to make sure you get it. With Flash and Sakar Iron Man getting cancelled due to low order numbers it’s even more important to preorder to make sure there is enough interest in something so that it doesn’t get cancelled. The deposit is literally a small price to pay to show genuine interest. Without the deposits we’d have so many more orders placed with no intention of actually seeing the order through. It’s a smart check to keep preorders realistically sized.

Yeah, I think we’re coming to an end of the days of ‘wait and see’ how an item turned out. HT and SS got burned but the glut of product they’re still sitting on at big discounts. If you want something now, preordering is the best way to make sure you get it. With Flash and Sakar Iron Man getting cancelled due to low order numbers it’s even more important to preorder to make sure there is enough interest in something so that it doesn’t get cancelled. The deposit is literally a small price to pay to show genuine interest. Without the deposits we’d have so many more orders placed with no intention of actually seeing the order through. It’s a smart check to keep preorders realistically sized.
I get what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree.

Hot Toys and by proxy Sideshow, are companies that have all but secured the Star Wars license at this scale. They also work in tandem to severely limit what any other retailer or shop can buy from them/have allotted. They want you to go through them - but they can’t have it both ways.

I strongly disagree with the idea that a single vendor possesses an official license, intentionally or unintentionally baits and switches the teaser/final product, and asks for a “small fee” upfront. They are deterring you from changing your mind, which is a totally unreasonable position to take if you're Hot Toys and routinely have a scattered track record between releases.

The reason that HT had a glut of SW product was because, frankly, the sequel trilogy sucked more and more with each release and retailers of all shapes and sizes were stuck with characters most people didn’t care about and aimed for a demographic that lacked the purchasing power to sustain a concerted merchandising boom. This was true across all scales/lines but ESPECIALLY the higher-end collectibles.

I understand your point and it’s not a lot of money, but it also shifts all risk to the consumer e.g., Mace Windu. I was genuinely interested but I’m basically forced to lower my standards because the figures are done, shipping, and I already fronted them money 18 months ago or whatever. Now, most of us are performing mental gymnastics, trying to convince ourselves it just isn’t that bad or that the Kenobi face is what it is, “it’s what we got” etc etc.

You are correct in that NRDeposits make sense for small businesses who yes, maybe get an allotment of 10-30 figures. That’s a big swing for them. But an NRD to SS/HT directly? Nah.

Sideshow requires a 10% deposit. That's $25-35 dollars for a figure. If it's something I know I want, that's not a lot of money to secure it, even if it's two years down the road.

Sideshow requires a 10% deposit. That's $25-35 dollars for a figure. If it's something I know I want, that's not a lot of money to secure it, even if it's two years down the road.
How do you know that you want that which does not exist yet?

1716585497886.gif

I want to interject here and say that this is a key issue, and it's honestly one that plagued this particular Obi-Wan figure.

I want to know what it is I'm buying... and it was only RECENTLY did we discover the final product had alterations from the promo shots. The photo of the figure on the box is NOT accurate to the figure on the inside as we discovered the Clone Trooper mouth vents are, yet again, inaccurate, despite what was presented to us in all the promos.

However, on the inverse, I don't recall ANY information informing us that Obi-Wan's cape was wired, or that the visor was magnetic and detachable, or that the helmet antenna was removable. Those are legit selling points to me, yet we found these out only once collectors started getting the figure in-hand.

These aren't cheap figures. It's crazy to me to be spending upwards of $300+ for a figure and not even knowing what you're getting until it starts shipping out.

Last edited:
Back