1/6 Hot Toys - MMS314D12 - Iron Man: Mark III (Stealth Mode Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think the Whiplash 2.0 is an amazing figure. I am also strongly considering pre-ordering the MK III stealth since it would look great next to my King Arts Captain America Stealth Shield. The colors match very well.

Whiplash 2.0 is an awesome figure but I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't own MKVI and War Machine.

Whiplash mk2 looks great on its own. You could pose it with just about anything and it looks great. Kinda like modern interpretation of medieval knight armor.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Regarding this "Exclusive" figure do you all feel that:

1) HT made too many (unpainted) Mk. III diecast figures?
2) Wanted to release something quickly instead of a diecast Mk. II (which would somewhat confirm they are remaking the original 7)?
3) Still available for Preorder because they overestimated demand?
4) Still available for Preorder because they intend on using the cast for Mk. II diecast?
5) Still available for Preorder because people are sick of IM figures? (Had to throw that in here, lol)
6) Still available for Preorder because many were (are) disappointed with the diecast Mk. III (lack of articulation, lack of features from armors like 42/43 & even 7)?

Of course all of the above is plausible and/or something that I didn't think of, so please LMK your thoughts.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Regarding this "Exclusive" figure do you all feel that:

1) HT made too many (unpainted) Mk. III diecast figures? No.
2) Wanted to release something quickly instead of a diecast Mk. II (which would somewhat confirm they are remaking the original 7)? No.
3) Still available for Preorder because they overestimated demand? No.
4) Still available for Preorder because they intend on using the cast for Mk. II diecast? No.
5) Still available for Preorder because people are sick of IM figures? (Had to throw that in here, lol). No.
6) Still available for Preorder because many were (are) disappointed with the diecast Mk. III (lack of articulation, lack of features from armors like 42/43 & even 7)? No.

Of course all of the above is plausible and/or something that I didn't think of, so please LMK your thoughts.
Price sucks + what little you get + abstract variant armor + Smurf color some will hate = Still available

Honestly I would guess none of that list affects the sales significantly. Hot Toys produces more figures in each run now than they used to (no I don't have inside information but I think it's a safe bet). So preorders last longer than before, but I imagine they will still sell out eventually.
MkII would take more work while this is just a repaint, so much easier to push out the door whether they do a II eventually or not.
I have no sales figures but I strongly doubt people in general are sick of IM. Some of the collectors here are, sure, but that's likely a minority.
The cost of this figure compared to something new, or even a figure with minor differences like Mark II is very small. Same packaging (with a couple less cutouts for the head sculpts/exclusive) and a different design printed on, same figure but painted differently.

Honestly I would guess none of that list affects the sales significantly. Hot Toys produces more figures in each run now than they used to (no I don't have inside information but I think it's a safe bet). So preorders last longer than before, but I imagine they will still sell out eventually.
MkII would take more work while this is just a repaint, so much easier to push out the door whether they do a II eventually or not.
I have no sales figures but I strongly doubt people in general are sick of IM. Some of the collectors here are, sure, but that's likely a minority.
The cost of this figure compared to something new, or even a figure with minor differences like Mark II is very small. Same packaging (with a couple less cutouts for the head sculpts/exclusive) and a different design printed on, same figure but painted differently.

Mk. II diecast remake would be a straight repaint of the Mk. III diecast. The difference between the II and III was just the metal used to make it (as in IM1). If HT does a Mk. II diecast, I'd bet my left nut that it will be the same cast.

Mk. II diecast remake would be a straight repaint of the Mk. III diecast. The difference between the II and III was just the metal used to make it (as in IM1). If HT does a Mk. II diecast, I'd bet my left nut that it will be the same cast.

I am not sure about other details, but there are the aircraft style rivets at least which would need some work to add on to the existing MkIII stuff, be it digital or physical.

I am not sure about other details, but there are the aircraft style rivets at least which would need some work to add on to the existing MkIII stuff, be it digital or physical.

Yeah the "rivets"! I'm basing my prediction that the Mk. II diecast would use the same indented style rivets as the Armored Unleased version which should be simple to add to the base cast. Obviously this is all guessing but I doubt either would be difficult to do.

Yeah the "rivets"! I'm basing my prediction that the Mk. II diecast would use the same indented style rivets as the Armored Unleased version which should be simple to add to the base cast. Obviously this is all guessing but I doubt either would be difficult to do.

I'm not disagreeing, just saying a repaint is much easier to do than any physical alterations, which is probably why they chose this over a potential mark II.

I'll be there waiting with the butchers knife.

It wouldn't be difficult. Difficult isn't the only factor though. tooling is (mold) the single largest production cost for manufacturing of figures. They way hot toys, and a lot of companies make figures is with a Family Mold/master mold type setup. Where you have a framework for the basic figure and can add or remove details by changing out internal tooling plates. To do the rivets they would need to have that extra piece made. Depending on how the tooling is laid out it could require three or four of these internal pieces to be used. Which adds a lot to the cost. It's not as expensive as a whole new unique figure, but it's a lot more expensive then a straight repaint. Which is why I would think they went with the mk3 stealth first. To continue to offset the cost of the "family" mold first. This making each release that uses it that much more profitable and less risky.

I pre-ordered. I'm loving all the diecast releases so far. All the insecure people can judge me and tell me how I should or shouldn't spend my money while I'm enjoying my life and toys.

New blogger pics
107091bce92fd16f17657eea88404745.jpg
80567e23cb929b1f3075bfe988e176b0.jpg
5bc41667ca16fa28a5d05f7a152ee2dc.jpg
ccf71b1a70bc2186ff1c89f4aa8a1d24.jpg
2c04ecdc750f27860f3b47c32c6b1810.jpg
3202db61fe8c733f100cf332cb84256e.jpg
87fa4d91bd7632f986b70f5569983969.jpg
5c7443b783b616d5b32ce6d19f0d4eb6.jpg
e5da488fe39640c76e37becf75640ffa.jpg
1c24051ea524812cf86c0b8ebfef7e21.jpg
e7dd6edf8f0ee6f32f8594492adcb8cc.jpg