1/6 Hot Toys - MMS314D12 - Iron Man: Mark III (Stealth Mode Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I dunno what happened, I preordered the moment I saw it up yesterday, thought I used all my points, but it doesn't say I did anywhere. I must have missed something. Oh well. This is the one I been waiting for so long. I chose crap ankled Batman Begins over Gunmetal Ironman because they teased that pic (mind you I had the MkIV, no Bats and wasn't into too many repaints back then...).

This Mk3 goes better with Midas, not StealthVII.:cuckoo:
Those two were priced to profit when they figured how much we were willing to pay for repaints. I think ever since about the Crow release was when the pricing was starting to drive people to slow down. It's the comics fans that won't hold back with the DC/Marvel (and Star Wars) characters. Mind you I bet they have less omnibuses than they originally planned...

This guy is diecast and blue. They prolly used sales data of the Warmachine and it's repaints to price this one as much as comparisons to other convention exclusive releases. The price of this is a good indicator of what has been happening to Hot Toys, and I think they are trying to get some of their customer base back. The ones they have been losing since pricing over $230.

I don't think there's much growth left for collectors. Of course theirs the generation that starts getting a job every year, but almost everyone that wants in beyond that has jumped in, and more likely people have now got what they want, and it's just a few more updating or the odd new cool character we may like. What is happening is the price and growth of other companies and who is snatching my $300. I think the main collectors are the same ones that saw the boom and bust in the comics. We're growing old.

The hard truth is very few collectors can stay in this hobby at a extended clip. Most new collectors are gobbling up these figures and not paying attention to the bills. It will slow down for many in a year or two and they ultimately will sell off the collections and move on to other hobbies or interests. Happens all the time. Very few people can pre-order and maintain 17 figures in a year (AOU Line for example) unless they live at home or are subsidized. Others will binge and purge when they decide they like to eat and want to enjoy something besides PBJs. :lol

The popularity of these movies made this type of high end collecting cool and there are more figures going around to more people. So that's increasing the licensing costs as studios and companies are cashing on the properties. It will become ever more increasing of a cycle in and out of new collectors as prices continue to rise.

12004847_529747327177760_5430079956644447433_n.jpg

12003188_159290834410382_4431801386355137398_n.jpg

This whole "$280 with rewards is a steal/$300 is fair/I used up all my RP so that my total is $20 (even though you've spent thousands to get to that) is really scary talk.

Time has come when adults don't mind paying $300 for a doll, and find an unlimited amount of excuses to justify that fact.

I'm personally glad I've stopped collecting, as I now only own just about two statues and that's it. I do feel bad for some IM collectors though, I guess I just don't know how you all do it.

Great looking fig, for sure.

I don't understand this statement. People spend their extra money on cars, boats, house projects, etc. Disposable income is meant to have fun with.

I don't understand this statement. People spend their extra money on cars, boats, house projects, etc. Disposable income is meant to have fun with.
Exactly. I feel like statements like that are either a little condescending, or a little too presumptive that everyone has the same margins to live on.

I've said this here in the past, but just because $1 has the same buying power for everyone, does not mean it's worth the same to everyone.

To some people $300 is the difference between making rent or not, and to others it's change they find in the couch cushions.

It's no more okay to suggest people who collect a lot of these figures are doing so irresponsibly than it would be to mock people who can't afford them.

I would be all over this if it was the Mark II repaint - something we all know is coming at an undetermined future date just based on how Hot Toys does marketing. This is my least favorite thing that Hot Toys does - slapping another potential buy (but not necessarily a must have) in front of you just as other figures are being payed off. They have done this with Stealth, Python, Hot Rod, Peacemaker, Tank and now this.

No doubt they will be offering a Mark XLIII Stealth version at some point down the line as well since they already advertised it on their mini-figures. These repaints just put the pressure on collectors to buy because it might be limited in number and regardless of how much you want it or not, it's like having to buy it or face regret later on. It just makes it harder to plan on getting the figures you REALLY want.

So...guess I better figure out a way to get this :)

The hard truth is very few collectors can stay in this hobby at a extended clip. Most new collectors are gobbling up these figures and not paying attention to the bills. It will slow down for many in a year or two and they ultimately will sell off the collections and move on to other hobbies or interests. Happens all the time. Very few people can pre-order and maintain 17 figures in a year (AOU Line for example) unless they live at home or are subsidized. Others will binge and purge when they decide they like to eat and want to enjoy something besides PBJs. :lol

The popularity of these movies made this type of high end collecting cool and there are more figures going around to more people. So that's increasing the licensing costs as studios and companies are cashing on the properties. It will become ever more increasing of a cycle in and out of new collectors as prices continue to rise.

I don't live at home and I'm not subsidized and I can afford it. Painting everyone(or anyone) with a wide brush is always a mistake.

As for it only being "new" collectors. Some of its new. But not all. And there will always be new collectors. That's why they do a revised mk3. And new versions of characters like fury. It's a pretty standard cycle. And given that hot toys has been doing it for around 15 years it's one they seem to understand pretty well. If people got tired of stuff and gave up on it Lego wouldn't have just in the last couple years become the largest toy company on the planet with one product. Barbie wouldn't be 70 years old. Star Wars wouldn't be still going strong after 37 years. The "new" customers and turn over are good things. If they sell their collection later they will be replaced by new buyers. The companies always need to attack new buyers. But keep as many of the old as they can. This isn't anything new. And hot toys has gone from small unknown company to top 1/6 manufacture in less then 10 years. And are still growing.

This whole "$280 with rewards is a steal/$300 is fair/I used up all my RP so that my total is $20 (even though you've spent thousands to get to that) is really scary talk.

Time has come when adults don't mind paying $300 for a doll, and find an unlimited amount of excuses to justify that fact.

I'm personally glad I've stopped collecting, as I now only own just about two statues and that's it. I do feel bad for some IM collectors though, I guess I just don't know how you all do it.

Great looking fig, for sure.

I'm afraid I agree with you on this one Franpincho. I mean you're absolutely right. You have a point, no doubt about it. I was literally just about to post the same thing.

Collectors that lower the cost of a particular figure that they want by using Reward Points they have accumalated through purchasing other items,which is their own money that can only be used only on that website, is definitely terrifying-or "really scary talk" as you so eloquently put it-and an indication that society is crumbling.

I mean if this is going on now, just imagine what it will be like 3-5 years from now. Just picturing it makes me shutter.

What's next? Collectors justifying buying figures from money that they have worked hard for?

Scary stuff.

I don't live at home and I'm not subsidized and I can afford it. Painting everyone(or anyone) with a wide brush is always a mistake.

As for it only being "new" collectors. Some of its new. But not all. And there will always be new collectors. That's why they do a revised mk3. And new versions of characters like fury. It's a pretty standard cycle. And given that hot toys has been doing it for around 15 years it's one they seem to understand pretty well. If people got tired of stuff and gave up on it Lego wouldn't have just in the last couple years become the largest toy company on the planet with one product. Barbie wouldn't be 70 years old. Star Wars wouldn't be still going strong after 37 years. The "new" customers and turn over are good things. If they sell their collection later they will be replaced by new buyers. The companies always need to attack new buyers. But keep as many of the old as they can. This isn't anything new. And hot toys has gone from small unknown company to top 1/6 manufacture in less then 10 years. And are still growing.

Lego, Barbie and Star Wars dolls didn't run $300 a pop, massive difference. He did state "at an extended clip" and it's hard to argue the majority of people collecting $4,000 worth of AOU figs are going to go right ahead and buy up every Iron Man, Cap, Batman, Superman, Star Wars, Predator, ect figure they want at the same price point for an extended period of years.

Last edited:
Lego, Barbie and Star Wars dolls didn't run $300 a pop, massive difference. He did state "at an extended clip" and it's hard to argue the majority of people collecting $4,000 worth of AOU figs is going to go right ahead and buy up every Iron Man, Cap, Batman, Superman, Star Wars, Predator, ect figure they want at the same price point for an extended period of years.
Lego sells for at least 200 bucks for some of their bigger vehicles now.

Don't take this out of context but in about a year from now I think we will find a completely new mix of people on this marvel board to associate with. I can count the people on one hand that are still around the marvel threads with frequency when I started and joined here, and many that do still hang out do not collect much anymore and are around for the conversation. (YP is a stalwart here and still collects as one still around :))

You'll start seeing and reading people hitting the destruct button on their collecting because they painted themselves into a financial bind. The buy/sell thread is a trail of tears for collections getting dumped daily. Disposable income is one thing, but there are many new collectors that are buying at very expensive clips and history has shown that sustainability just isn't there.

Your probably right. But that doesn't mean they all sold everything. A lot of it is getting bored with the forum too. But new people isn't a bad thing. If they didn't attack new people they would never have grown. That's all I was trying to say. Customer turnover is not anything unusual. But long running companies show its not bad for the business.

Those new people you are talking about that are currently buying to much...they will be replaced by the exact same thing. But one or two of them will stick around. So it's a net gain.

You are naming things that can be enjoyed by family members as well. It has absolutely no relation to what I said. A doll can only be enjoyed by you, and only you.

But, hey, you are free to justify you spending ($300 on a ****ing doll instead of an extra day in Hawaii with someone you care for) however you wish.

Thats just something i can't stomach anymore. Sorry. I just can't out of principle. IMO, of course.

Last edited:
Normal Lego sets run from $6-$15 :lol but sure there are the extreme sets.

Six bucks for Lego? Where are you shopping. The set prices are usually 12,20,40,60,80,100...usually off a few bucks but that's the standard model they seem to follo(I have boat load of Legos too. Something I can "do" with my daughter and nephews and so on)

Six bucks for Lego? Where are you shopping. The set prices are usually 12,20,40,60,80,100...usually off a few bucks but that's the standard model they seem to follo(I have boat load of Legos too. Something I can "do" with my daughter and nephews and so on)

Sets are $6.27 at local Walmart/Target.

You are naming things that can be enjoyed by family members as well. It has absolutely no relation to what I said. A doll can only be enjoyed by you, and only you.

But, hey, you are free to justify you spending ($300 on a ****ing doll instead of an extra day in Hawaii with someone you care for) however you wish.

Thats just something i can't stomach anymore. Sorry. I just can't out of principle. IMO, of course.

My girlfriend loves these things. She looks at new figures coming out and is excited for Drax and HB.The 1st time she came over to my place (the 1st she ever heard of or seen a hot toy figure) she was making display suggestions. Oh and we are going to fly to California next month to watch her favorite football team play and then the next day go to Honolulu for a week. In Febuary we are going to mexico for a week. I bust my butt at work so if i want to spend $300 on a dolls, clothes, shoes, coffee, guns, camera equipment, etc who cares. These are not my life but just a part, so please try not to talk for everyone.

Sets are $6.27 at local Walmart/Target.

"Legonomics" are really fascinating. Hard core Lego builders value the sets based on piece/block rate which last I saw is coming in around 10.4 cents USD per set block piece. If you take an example set with 75 pieces then it should cost relatively $7.50 USD. Using that metric on the bigger sets you can weigh the price per piece to see what sets really get value and what ones are overpriced for various reasons such as licensing or larger specialty plates/minifigs.

I'm sure they could teach college courses with the Lego trend and business model with as much manufacturing/ technical process that goes into their business.

Back