Hot Toys - MMS 75 - IRON MAN - 12 inches MARK III full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One should consider ordering very soon, because pre-orders for the Mark III are sold out at a lot of places. There is always the Ebay route after it has been released, but I think this one is going to be in high demand so that could be quite costly.

Could the same be said for Mark2? or is that another matter? since it's more or less the same fig with added detail but silver.

I would think Hot Toys production numbers for most of their figures would be in the low thousands. No?

Not for articulated action figures; production costs are marginal compared to those for even pvc statues, and those [several variants of Ikki Tousen for instance] have runs of well over 30,000. Again though Iron Man is pretty detailed AND expensive so it's likely he'll have a lower run.

Anyway I wouldn't presume to be an authority on things like this and cant be arsed to google production run numbers BUT I've seen a toy production factory line and those things are literally piled to the ceiling in their tens of thousands.

Then again the Hot Toys IM may or may not be classed as a "toy" :rolleyes:

Still have to brag a little about the fact I scored one of these bad boys for only $130 shipped off of a dealer on ebay!
Took a chance on the best offer option and got it.:D

Still have to brag a little about the fact I scored one of these bad boys for only $130 shipped off of a dealer on ebay!
Took a chance on the best offer option and got it.:D

By the way the guy I dealt with is Marc Heller who owns a shop in Chicago called "Galactic Force". I have had nothing but GREAT communication with this guy and he is the best for responding quickly to questions.

Hot Toys Superman Returns Supes edition size was limited to 1200 (for one version) and their Batman from Batman Begins to 1100 (both according to dealers and Hot Toys advertisements). This was two years ago, but I still doubt Mark III will come anywhere near 50,000, or even 10,000.

Hot Toys Superman Returns Supes edition size was limited to 1200 (for one version) and their Batman from Batman Begins to 1100 (both according to dealers and Hot Toys advertisements). This was two years ago, but I still doubt Mark III will come anywhere near 50,000, or even 10,000.
Even 5,000 would seem high to me. I can't imagine there's that many of us grown men willing to spend $160 on a 12" Man Doll :)

Even 5,000 would seem high to me. I can't imagine there's that many of us grown men willing to spend $160 on a 12" Man Doll :)

Yea 5000 seems alot, these figure are no toys at all and are really really detailed with alot of fragile pieces wich I think need to be manually assembled. Also if I look at my hot toys joker bank rober face and compare it with other photos of it, I see some small differences in the paint, wich makes me believe all the painting is done by hand also. I would asume a production like this would go max to 2000 units. Usally collectible "toys" are low production.

Were they articulated? hmm... 1,200 for a run of articulated figures doesnt seem possible unless those were a limited-edition series. Given the usually cheap manufacturing costs of plastic/pvc AFs, what'll be the profit margin unless enough of them are manufactured? not like these things are hand-painted or sculpted, they are run off a factory line, with machinery that's pretty expensive, but then again I've never seen action figures cost £119.99. Like I said I'm no authority on this and if you say it is this way, then this way it is... so don't get me wrong, I'm not for a second trying to discredit you mate.

If Alkrim is right (and they are indeed hand-painted - um really?) then that'll provide one explanation for the low runs.

Still not convinced though, not after seeing She-Predator Machiko BUT IM may be a different kettle of fish, and every bit worth the hype.

Last edited:
Were they articulated? hmm... 1,200 for a run of articulated figures doesnt seem possible unless those were a limited-edition series.

Yep, "limited edition" is the key. These figures aren't produced in mass quantities like Sideshow used to do (I miss those days) or other companies still do with product clogging store shelves.

Like I said I'm not authority on this and if you say it is this, then this way it is

Just because I say it is, doesn't make it so. I'm just a man. :p No one should trust someone they don't know or have no reason to trust (like Kevin Trudeau), only evidence, which I failed to provide in my earlier post. Here's a link to our very own board that jump started my search for the facts. https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10561

These aren't toys. They're collector items. They aren't run off by the thousands like a toy from Hasbro or Mattel. You have to get in the mindset that these items are marketed to the kind of people that buy full size 1:1 replica Star Wars helmets for $500. They are not a toy or play thing in any sense of the word. That's what I was trying to get across to you in my last post. Just because the company is called Hot Toys, doesn't mean they deal in things for children. After all, a Porshe can be a toy to a certain demographic.

And much of the painting is done by hand. As is much of the tailoring. Look at Two-Face's burned jacket. Every single one has a different burn pattern.

Edit: That was directed at worstgamerever.

Well, remember Sideshow, they do small runs of the Exclusives, but counting the regular LE figures they have up to 8,000 total for each figure, For this I would expect it to be around that.

For startes, take a look at this exclusive version of the Hot toys Predator.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=9000731

Then this predator

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=63382

Those are, granted, the exclusive editions. But if you look at, for example the exclusive editions of sidesho figures, such as Indy

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=39051

and compare the edition soze to the regular version

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3905

you start to get an idea of the edition sizes of Limited edition figures in this price range, and can take a pretty good guess at the edition size of Iron man.

They're collector items. They are not a toy or play thing in any sense of the word. That's what I was trying to get across to you in my last post. After all, a Porshe can be a toy to a certain demographic.

At the risk of going into a tedious debate, doesnt articulated mean poseable, and doesnt poseable mean they aren't meant to displayed in a single pose in say some showcase that shouldn't ever be touched? I know a lot of the freaks play with their AFs [I always left mine in their factory packaging] and the question would be where to draw the line b/w say a Hasbro Iron Man that's articulated, and a HT IM that's also articulated.

It'll be pretty lame buying the Hulk PF for a kid, but the HT IM would be justifiable especially as it hasnt got a million and one potentially harmful accesories like Snake Eyes.

Also I'm still trying to analogize what you said about the porsche :confused: you totally lost me there mate.

I'm not in any way trying to detract from how awesome this figure is, but a gold-plated spade is still a spade... and I think the phrase "collectors item" - especially in a figure run that's [more than likely] in the tens of thousands - is being used rather liberally.

That's just me though, and even after my rant I'm as curious as any to see how this looks/feels like in person

It's kinda a hard market to analize, and look at. You really can't compare tehm to any mass market toy, becuase theat is not what they are. ALL hot toys 1/6th figures are hand painted. It's the same with sideshow. they are, what you would call "assembly line" painted. meaning that there is one guy who paints eyes, one who paints lips, etc, but it's still hand painted. If these were Mass market toys, the price would be EXTREMELY LOWER. The reason for this is that there are two ways to approace the cost of the figure vs the end result profit margin for the manufactering company. the equaton is simple. it's either Quality, or quantity.

you see, with the quantity equation, a toy sees multiple releases, and only goes out of production, when intrest dies off. It's these multiple releases that cause the "edition size" of, say, a hasbro Talking Iron man, which is the same scale as the Hot toys one, to reach 50,000 +. becuase of this, hasbro can invest a great deal of money into the figure, and then sell it at a low end cost, around 20.00 they do this knowing that people will buy it, and buy it, and so on. this is where the profit comes from from them.

With hot toys, they usualy don't do "waves" of releases like this. It's just one release per country usualy. and that's it. They do this for a few reasons. One of those reasons is to create a market demand for their product. If they charge a higher price, then they need to do a few things to warrent it. they are:

Quality : By releasing their product, and holding it to a higher standard of quality than other manufacturing companies, they can demand a higher price.

Limited Avaliabliity : With some exception, hot toys products are fairly hard to get unless you pre-order them. Yes, some places still have the Mark III avaliable, but once this guy has been released, you can expect these to start slowly drying up. the Limited avaliablity of these due to the release method drives up the demand, allowing hot toys to demand a higher price again.

Niche Market : 1/6th scale toys take up ALOT of space, becuase of this, not alot of people are into the 1/6th market, compared to other options. I know people who rationalize that they're getting a better deal if they buy 20 marvel legends figures, over 1 hot toys Iron man. Owning SEVERAL hot toys figures, I'd say we're about the same. Becuase of the Smaller target market, Hot toys is not going to Overproduce, again, this goes backed to limited avaliabities, and thus higher prices.

Is it possible that i'm dead wrong? Yes, but i doubt it. Tops, TOPS, I'd say 10,000 worldwide as far as the mark III goes. However, considering that Hot toys is also making the mark I and Mark II, and those by themselves, are possible to fill someones iron man needs, and even then, there are some pleople ( like me) who can only afford 1 of the three, I very much doubt the edition sizes are that high on all 3. My guesses on edition sizes are as follows

Mark III 8000 Worldwide
Mark II 5000 Worldwide with an extra 1000 of the exclusive version
Mark I 3500-5000 worldwide.

I'm currous, do you own any Hot toys Figures? Not a question disguised as an attack, but a serious question. and if you do, Are they still boxed, or are they out and posed?

speaking of posing, this is the best way i can describe 1/6th figures. something important to know about them, they are Fragle. they are not really toys, more like Statues with Joints. much in the same way sideshow Pf's simetimes come with different heads for different display options, the joints allow you to alter the pose as you see fit. Many peope open them, pose them once, and then never touch them agin. SO if you've got any boxedup, I emplore you, open them, and take a look, what you find may suprise you. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back