Hot Toys Millenium Falcon Cockpit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video, thanks alot! They look really good, the TIE is almost to big to comprehend even getting. Though the only way I can incorporate the MF is if I display the TIE Pilot in Han/Chewies place.

I am comprehending getting it.

muhahaha.jpg

Really?! If this was priced at 250 you wouldn't think that was a steal?! You must be kidding or simply just exaggerating.

Comparatively yes, of course it would be a "steal" at $250 - I've already said multiple times that something like this takes an incredible amount of work to produce - I couldn't make one and sell it for $500 even to break even, let alone $250. What I'm saying is that the entire hobby is high priced - nothing is a steal. And it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else considers "worth it" that's not how Hot Toys or anyone else prices their products. This thing is going to cost what it's going to cost and some people will think it's too much and not buy it. Others will think the same thing and buy it anyway. etc.

Put the question to the regular person on the street and you'll get very different perspectives. "$250? For that? Are you **ing crazy?" will be one of them. ;)

Comparatively yes, of course it would be a "steal" at $250 - I've already said multiple times that something like this takes an incredible amount of work to produce - I couldn't make one and sell it for $500 even to break even, let alone $250. What I'm saying is that the entire hobby is high priced - nothing is a steal. And it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else considers "worth it" that's not how Hot Toys or anyone else prices their products. This thing is going to cost what it's going to cost and some people will think it's too much and not buy it. Others will think the same thing and buy it anyway. etc.

Put the question to the regular person on the street and you'll get very different perspectives. "$250? For that? Are you **ing crazy?" will be one of them. ;)

That's all true but if people go round saying I'd pay $1000 dollars no problem just give it to me etc... then guess whats going to happen.. If you go round paying those types of prices for items which are worth far less then don't be surprised when prices start going over $1000 and beyond and soon enough we'll all be priced out of this hobby. Its a great item no doubt and yes there's a lot of work involved in manufacturing it but still its not worth $1000.

I didn't think the DeLorean was worth $690 but I have to have it. Regardless of the price because I'd rather not pay after market prices. I missed out on the tumbler and bat pod and I seriously regret it cause those prices are nuts. Especially seeing what retail was.

Yeah, I really don't think people commenting on forums has any relation to what HT/SSC charge. Tons of people that say they're interested at X price won't end-up buying for a bunch of reasons, so I can't see it influencing any company's pricing strategy. Like Pixel says, small runs on humanoid figures go for $1k - $3k+ routinely. Small run on something this complex that couldn't ever be attempted by anyone without HT's economy of scale is still going to be really expensive. There's just no getting around it.

I didn't think the DeLorean was worth $690 but I have to have it. Regardless of the price because I'd rather not pay after market prices. I missed out on the tumbler and bat pod and I seriously regret it cause those prices are nuts. Especially seeing what retail was.

If it does anything for you bbts still has the camo version available at retail price which seems pretty cheap by today's standards. Its a great piece, especially if you have bane.

As far as the falcon being a small run, small relative to what? They will make a ton of these, sell a ton of these, and the people who are patient will most likely get the best price.

I just don't understand the thinking behind pricing these so ridiculously high and making only a small run of them. If they followed the Henry Ford (no pun intended) model of business economics, they would sell more at an affordable price and have bigger profits.

As far as the falcon being a small run, small relative to what?

Relative to all their other runs this will be small - they won't make as many cockpits as they do a run of Iron Man or Stormtroopers. First, just because of what it is, there's a smaller market, then it will simply be in a pricing bracket that excludes additional consumers.

There are so many pitfalls that typically prevent something like this from ever being released, so the fact that HT is taking a chance with it is pretty remarkable. Making money with something like this isn't guaranteed.

As far as the falcon being a small run, small relative to what? They will make a ton of these, sell a ton of these, and the people who are patient will most likely get the best price.
Relative to all their other runs this will be small - they won't make as many cockpits as they do a run of Iron Man or Stormtroopers. First, just because of what it is, there's a smaller market, then it will simply be in a pricing bracket that excludes additional consumers.

There are so many pitfalls that typically prevent something like this from ever being released, so the fact that HT is taking a chance with it is pretty remarkable. Making money with something like this isn't guaranteed.
Yep.

I just don't understand the thinking behind pricing these so ridiculously high and making only a small run of them. If they followed the Henry Ford (no pun intended) model of business economics, they would sell more at an affordable price and have bigger profits.
OK, market for a horseless carriage is about a billion times bigger than for a fricking MF cockpit. :lol There's only a small subset of collectors that have the money, space and are single or have the understanding of their spouses to even consider buying this. Even worldwide, there are not that many people interested in having this in their home. So economy of scale only goes so far.

Exactly. Hot Toys can ramp quantities on this thing to get the unit price way down, but that doesn't lower their overall expenditure, it increases it. Each successive unit they make will cost them less, but that doesn't matter when it turns out they've made two hundred thousand and can only sell four thousand. Now the fact they're selling them at a lower price is actually hurting them, and slashing the price may bring them more sales but proportionally less margin. Next step is to sell them to break even, but even then, they're going to hit a wall. The step after that? Selling units at a loss. Then giving them away, then the landfill.

It's happened before to other companies in other markets.

Factories in China have a minimum production run something like between 1500-2000 units. Price yourself too high and your product sits in the warehouse and doesn't move until you have a clearance firesale to move overpriced inventory. One of the reasons why Sideshow is constantly doing giveaways, discounts and contests to shed excess inventory.

Then giving them away, then the landfill.

It's happened before to other companies in other markets.

Its happened with hot toys before, wasn't that long ago I got a free tonto;)

I agree the market is much smaller for this than other 1/6 scale collectibles, but with the new films driving and renewing star wars interest the market is probably still pretty robust. Society today seems to have little issue with paying 20 points+ on their credit cards.

Factories in China have a minimum production run something like between 1500-2000 units.

I'm not sure if true -- Asmus does runs with 500 units for LOTR.

But maybe for larger companies like SS and HT, its more likely that smaller runs are cost prohibitive for them because of general company overhead and licensing fees. They probably have to hit a certain number to have it be worth their time.

But then again, will Sideshow really sell 1500 units of Jawas at $220?

In the end, the Falcon will be a prominent fixture in TFA as it has been in the OTC. Interest will be high, so will the price, but this is going to sell. Depending on the engineering; flashing lights, sound, operable cabin door (motorized please��), it's going to fetch I'd bet dollars to doughnuts in the range of $800 -1K. They are going to get it...hell, they'll get mine at that price, just like I forked over the dough for Hulkbuster. These efforts are unprecedented and HT is taking major risk, they won't do it for little gain and they don't have to. They are on the vanguard of this more is more in 1/6th collecting and will set prices based on a myopic model, which is fair since they are first to tread this water. I say bravo and bring on the tie fighter, only design it for flat pack so it actually makes it out the factory!

See this is what it looks like when one of the CEOs of the company does in fact love the property. Everyone said it was marvel/iron man, but that's been about sales. Howard is one of the largest Star Wars fans around. So this level of production doesn't surprise me. Not after him trying to get the license for nearly 15 years. So if they where going to go above and beyond for any theme it would be Star Wars. It helps that it's one of the best selling merchandise lines ever.

I'm not sure what the Price point will be on this. Hard to say having not seen it in person or know all the features. As long as they don't go super high it should sell well enough.,Star Wars has always had the support for large play sets and vehicles that other property's don't. But it's usually been either retail or super limited. Hot toys is in the middle ground of those. Interested to see what they do.

I still don't think we will see the large ships made, more like this type of stuff with dio pieces. Say a walker leg section with a hoth luke, or the Section of the Death Star where Luke and vader fight...maybe the wall and partial base of the trash compactor. I could see a speeder easy enough. Maybe part of Jabba barge. Just not the whole thing.

It looks very expensive to me I say $800- $1100, but with that you might find dealers who knock off some on pre- prders.

Back