Hot Toys is a boring Company

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Purportedly" is the key word. And while I don't condone his alleged behaviour, I can separate the character and performance from the actor.

Who knows, maybe when Disney have drained the Marvel and Star Wars well dry, they'll revisit the LR.
He does have a highly appropriate surname. I will give him that.

They will never do it. Not because of the actor but because The Lone Ranger just does not sell. Look how well the film did.

I’ve almost completely lost all interest in HT myself. Nothing had been exciting for ages until the BTTF II car went up, which did make my heart sing, and nothing since.

To be fair I’m not a marvel fan and I’ve got everything Star Wars I imagine I’ll ever want, especially considering everything since Disney bought it has been appalling.

Give me Dune figures, more Dr Who, BTTF II figures, Blade Runner and a decent Cavill Superman with a proper likeness for starters. I can only see from that selection HT doing the BTTF stuff and they’ll just be reissues. Dune and the Henry Superman are on the way from InArt.

I’ve almost completely lost all interest in HT myself. Nothing had been exciting for ages until the BTTF II car went up, which did make my heart sing, and nothing since.

To be fair I’m not a marvel fan and I’ve got everything Star Wars I imagine I’ll ever want, especially considering everything since Disney bought it has been appalling.

Give me Dune figures, more Dr Who, BTTF II figures, Blade Runner and a decent Cavill Superman with a proper likeness for starters. I can only see from that selection HT doing the BTTF stuff and they’ll just be reissues. Dune and the Henry Superman are on the way from InArt.
Yeah at this point, HT goes with what they know will sell - the only exception being whatever Howard personally enjoys (trying to figure out how BTTF has made it in but this may be why). They're not as varied in their licenses as they used to be which is a shame. Thing is, Marvel and Star Wars is so huge that it's difficult for them to branch out further. You can tell they're overstretched and don't have the horsepower to get solicits and releases done in a reasonable timeframe.

I've definitely been more excited about third party releases or even things like Sideshow's "The Dude", lately because they're something different. I have slowed way down on HT, & I've only been back into 1/6 for a couple of years, so I can imagine the over-familiarity for long-timers. It does get to the point where you generally know what you're getting with Hot Toys, & while I love the ones I have, my favourites are the ones that are one-offs. Neo, John Wick, The Crow, etc. I have a few Star Wars, & a select few of the Arkham/Spidey game figures, but those are pretty predictable at this point, & I'm nowhere near rich enough to go all in. I'm sure if you can army build, that helps with some of the fatigue, but I can't afford a stormtrooper platoon or a hall of Stark armor.

I've been way more enamored with my Ekuaz Squid Game guard than the Ahsoka Tano I waited years for, & am more excited for Limtoys' Outlaw than any official product by far.

To be fair, there is a limit to what you can do with action figures, especially within
the confines of licensing, production and tooling costs.

Hot Toys has become predictable, if anything... not boring if they are making things someone is into collecting.

Hasbro, Mattel, NECA, McFarlane Toys, Bandai, Playmates and yes, even Hot Toys can only go so far in their
specific toy-set of products and price points (though they all are overstretching what these things are "worth" at retail, IMO).

If you haven't noticed, all major toy companies are rehashing the same licenses and pumping out anything they can to cash-in on nostalgia and
what is trending in popularity. They are not making stuff out of that box in fear of not making money on it.

3rd party companies don't need to worry about this stuff, mainly they don't care which is why
they make everything and anything and don't pay licensing fees. They are stealing IP's and trying to make money off it.

You can call it all boring, just like Sweet Rabbit said.
Point is, if it comes across to you as boring... you need to look for another hobby.

Last edited:
Every company has become boring
To a degree, yes. But that’s only because most collectors keep asking (demanding) for the same stuff over and over and over. I’m so very grateful for Exo-6, Asmus, LIM for doing something other than Marvel, DC and Star Wars. I don’t even care that there hasn’t been anymore Terminators or Aliens. So many other things out there that probably wouldn’t cost that much for licensing, but the majority of collectors don’t seem to want that stuff (it would be awesome — to me, at least — to get figures from some of Ray Harryhausen’s best movies, but so far all we get are statues from Star Ace — which are the wrong scale for me and WAY over-priced).

Hot Toys used to be a great company, making collectables from Batman, Predator, Terminator, etc, now all they care about is Marvel and Star Wars.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back