Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need help.
I bought Gaia #41 and it's leaving a powdery residue when applying with an airbrush. I used MR. Color #8 for base and turned out just fine. When applying the Gaia it just turns to powder.

Nice Mark II repaint.

DSC_0842_zpsc3372e10.jpg

Do you guys mix gaia #41 with anything else before putting it in the air brush? I never painted anything with air brush before and want to give it a try.

Do you guys mix gaia #41 with anything else before putting it in the air brush? I never painted anything with air brush before and want to give it a try.

I use acetone in a 1/1 ratio, mixed right in the airbrush bottle.
Pour in the paint amount you want to use, then pour in the same amount of acetone, stir, then paint away.
Acetone evaporates quickly after the paint is applied but it's essential to thin the paint enough to flow smoothly.

Pour in the paint amount you want to use, then pour in the same amount of acetone, stir, then paint away.
Acetone evaporates quickly after the paint is applied but it's essential to thin the paint enough to flow smoothly.

Thanks! Are there any specific brand of acetone I should use?

Listen to this man :lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

Thanks! Are there any specific brand of acetone I should use?

I think chemically it should all be the same. It all tastes the same to me anyway... (Disclaimer. Never drink acetone, lol).
I buy it in small bottles over the counter from the local chemist near my work.
So any acetone will work.
If you only have one or two to repaint, one bottle will do you.

I'll have a Mark 4 soon, and while it's not faded that much yet. If I decide to repaint the faded parts, is it hard if you're a novice, or would you recommend finding someone to do it for a little extra?

I've noticed on my MK IV when put next to my MK VI, that it is no longer that brilliant red anymore, so I know mine will begin fading soon.

My Marks 3, 4, 5, and 6 all have the fading issue. I bought each one new, when they first came out. They're all faded about the same color now. Mark 5 is a little less faded than the others.

I'd advise any of you guys who look at your MKIV/MKVI and see the fading not to worry.
For about $30 give or take, you can pick up all the items you need to remedy the figures yourself, and you will feel great giving them a new lease of life on your shelves.

IMG_6178.jpg

A bit of pinking:

IMG_6180.jpg

Left done, right one needing done:

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

And both done:

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

I too had these problems with BD MKIII, IV, VI. Bought me an airbrush & compressor for 80$ on eBay. First time doing this sort of work and I have to say it was simple and fun. I actually wished I had more suits to fix since it kept me entertained. Planing on buying a reg MKIII and painting the whole suit giving it that Bright Candy Red Look.

93109909-0a81-488f-9344-23fdd7b520f5_zps5ad697a1.jpg
98e221a6-2c98-41f8-a136-98d2b107606e_zpsc885b6b8.jpg

image_zpsb57e3cac.jpg
image_zpsa1f4920b.jpg

I too had these problems with BD MKIII, IV, VI. Bought me an airbrush & compressor for 80$ on eBay. First time doing this sort of work and I have to say it was simple and fun. I actually wished I had more suits to fix since it kept me entertained. Planing on buying a reg MKIII and painting the whole suit giving it that Bright Candy Red Look.

93109909-0a81-488f-9344-23fdd7b520f5_zps5ad697a1.jpg
98e221a6-2c98-41f8-a136-98d2b107606e_zpsc885b6b8.jpg

image_zpsb57e3cac.jpg
image_zpsa1f4920b.jpg

Excellent.
That's the BD one, right?
Does the normal version come apart as easily?

Was considering doing my Mark 3 BD torso as well but couldn't find anyone who tried and succeeded. Nicely done!

Will be doing mine this week now :D

Excellent.
That's the BD one, right?
Does the normal version come apart as easily?

In the process of buying a normal MK3 at the moment. Don't want to spend to much on one since I already have the BD. My guess is it will come apart fairly simple compared to the BD. If not that's why I like to use glue :D

Was considering doing my Mark 3 BD torso as well but couldn't find anyone who tried and succeeded. Nicely done!

Will be doing mine this week now :D

I too was waiting for someone to do the BDMK3 but I could not resist. The fade on him was horrible. I think if I would of gaved my torso 2 extra coats of Gaia #41 it would of been perfect. But I was satisfied how it turned out with just 2 wet coats and did not want to overdue it and ruining it.

image_zpsb0299985.jpg
image_zps725dc06c.jpg

Back