Hot Toys - Iron Man 3 - Mark XXXIX / Starboost

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great figure. I'm a bit surprised it's such a slow mover. It's one of the best suits on looks. And given all the angst over articulation and "ab crunch" these days you would think the figure with the most articulation would be a quick sell.

I'm surprised too. I ordered this in advance because I was worried it would sell out because of its unique nature.
Maybe they made too many or perhaps not many people were willing to buy something that had about 4 seconds of screen time.

I still have hope the armour will be rebuilt and used for Tony's space exploration and discovery of the GotG :)

No regrets though, he looks great in my collection.

This is a great figure. I'm a bit surprised it's such a slow mover. It's one of the best suits on looks. And given all the angst over articulation and "ab crunch" these days you would think the figure with the most articulation would be a quick sell.

:lol So true

I LOVE this armor.

It's my favorite of the HPP armors but I'm a creature of symmetry and the way it stuck out in my display always bothered me because it was so white.

THEN I realized the my War Machine Milk Figure would compliment it perfectly, which is great because I kind of always wanted to replace the milk figure with the regular issue but now I like it even more since it compliments Starboost so well.

This is currently my most-wanted suit, ahead of all the die-cast armours and the early movie pieces (pre-HPP). Has Sideshow applied one of their crazy discount coupons to these before, like the 30% off on Heartbreaker? Wondering where I can find those codes, and if I can combine them with free shipping. If not I guess I'll just be keeping a watchful eye on the BST forum.

How many percent of the parts are plastic and paint? I'm overly worried that some parts will yellow over time. :gah:

I bought this guy on day one and I couldn't be happier. It sticks out compared to the classic red/gold iron man suits and it screams space age to me.

Won't bare coloured/dyed plastic also yellow with time? Starboost isn't die-cast (sadly)

It will yellow just a matter of time and what type of environment. I dont remember how much was painted as I sold mine but I think there was some unpainted molded white plastic.

It will yellow just a matter of time and what type of environment. I dont remember how much was painted as I sold mine but I think there was some unpainted molded white plastic.

Sorry bud but that's not correct. Even if it's molded and unpainted hot toys always coats the surface with a sealer/finish.(and I double checked mine to be sure) And just becuase some plastic yellows...there's nothing showing this plastic will. Unless miss handled.

Sorry bud but that's not correct. Even if it's molded and unpainted hot toys always coats the surface with a sealer/finish.(and I double checked mine to be sure) And just becuase some plastic yellows...there's nothing showing this plastic will. Unless miss handled.

I don't know the chemical composition of the plastic HT uses but if they add bromine it will yellow.

I don't know the chemical composition of the plastic HT uses but if they add bromine it will yellow.

Your right, we don't. And I have plastic that's 50 years old and hasn't yellowed. Until it actually happens saying it's going to happen is not the way to go. The way it is right now there's nothing that says or supports that these will yellow. Let's not start the next hot toys urban legend by guessing it might.

And it's not just one Chem or reason some plastics yellow. Lots of flame retardant and stabilizers do it as well. To counter act this other chems are used to prevent it. The two main things that start and worsen yellowing are heat and uv light. So if you keep it out of both those conditions there's no reason modern plastics should yellow. And FYI lots of artificial light gives off some uv light. So be careful what lighting you use on your display of your worried.

Last edited:
Your right, we don't. And I have plastic that's 50 years old and hasn't yellowed. Until it actually happens saying it's going to happen is not the way to go. The way it is right now there's nothing that says or supports that these will yellow. Let's not start the next hot toys urban legend by guessing it might.

And it's not just one Chem or reason some plastics yellow. Lots of flame retardant and stabilizers do it as well. To counter act this other chems are used to prevent it. The two main things that start and worsen yellowing are heat and uv light. So if you keep it out of both those conditions there's no reason modern plastics should yellow. And FYI lots of artificial light gives off some uv light. So be careful what lighting you use on your display of your worried.

Bromine is the flame retardant and breaks down the plasticizers, if they follow safety standards it probably was. I doubt old plastic toys followed the same safety standards modern toys must which may be a reason you have 50 year old white toys. If Bromine was added it will break down it's just chemistry.

Oh no. I really hope this isn't the case, since Starboost is a gorgeous suit. I know none of these toys will last forever but knowing that most of the suit will yellow is different to, say, one pair of pink panties.

Oh no. I really hope this isn't the case, since Starboost is a gorgeous suit. I know none of these toys will last forever but knowing that most of the suit will yellow is different to, say, one pair of pink panties.

I wouldn't worry about it. It takes years(maybe 15+) by then you'll have other life issues to worry about and I'm sure a possible yellowing Starboost will be the last thing on your mind, just enjoy it now.

I was really pleased with how this Instagram turned out so thought I'd share :)

iPfAbNR.jpg

I had wanted this figure for a while even though it was barely seen in Iron Man 3. It's so unique and will most likely never see a reused part or repaint, so When I ordered a Mark 43, I ordered Starboost too.
Very cool how the lights are all a cool blue tint and the overall look in a flight pose is just awesome in my display.
as far as this talk of possible yellowing, that really will suck if it happens, but until that time I am happy with this figure.

Back