Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived.:panic:

BeCQLQC.jpg

Nothing better than the smell of a newly opened Hot Toys box in the morning....

Thanks guys. The hair is quite brown in colour, not seeing much grey there. Wor, that's the Rogue One Vader, I couldn't afford the Tarkin/Vader 2 pack. The height in tha shot is down to the angle I shot at. Back to back Tarkin only reaches to Vader's mouth piece

I still think this looks great overall, but watching some YouTube reviews... oh man did the cut and material of the uniform take a giant downgrade from the prototype. Those shoulders on the coat should be nice and sharp, not droopy. The head and hands were both much more in proportion on the proto as well. The final sculpt is definitely improved though, so at least there is that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. The hair is quite brown in colour, not seeing much grey there. Wor, that's the Rogue One Vader, I couldn't afford the Tarkin/Vader 2 pack. The height in tha shot is down to the angle I shot at. Back to back Tarkin only reaches to Vader's mouth piece

Ah, well yes that's the super-sized RO Vader that will do that. I believe the new Tarkin Vader is the same body as the original ANH Vader as it was shorter (still a wee bit too tall though.)

I'll finally be able to put my Tarkin on display and take some pics tomorrow morning - had a few pickles suddenly come up that have kept me away from home.:slap:gah:

And yeah - I bought mine loose for $190 shipped. As I mentioned before, I would never use the chair and really didn't want another box to store.

I would say the figure is better than pics had set up my expectations for. It's hands-down the most realistic human 1/6 figure I've ever seen (even better than TFA Han.) There's no distortions of the face - some pics seemed to suggest he had an oversized HT Nick Fury forehead, but that's not the case. It really just looks like Tarkin from the movie hit with a shrinking ray.

The hair could probably have used a smidge more grey, but as TFA Han proved, doing "somewhat grey" hair, just like blond hair, is very tricky - HT usually breaks out the brass paint. I think Cushing probably dyed his greyed hair by ANH, and the lighting in his scenes is very harsh white, so its tricky to pinpoint his hair color (seems more brown than grey, but the lighting style reveals the underlying grey in certain shots.)

The cut of the uniform is staggeringly good - especially impressive on the slim arms. I will say due to this slimness, I may be reluctant to do extremely bent arms as a pose as it might permanently crinkle the fabric and also mess with how the sleeves are hanging, which currently is just right. The fabric looks great but seems like the type that will hold wrinkles more than I'd like for what needs to be a "crisp military look." The boots are an improvement over HT's earlier efforts like ANH Han's.

The size of the hands didn't jump out at me but will have a play when I'm taking pics to see if maybe a couple of the hands are the problem. In the next week I'm going to see what can be done about the inaccurate belt rivets - at least the belt comes off very easily.

Anyone be offering custom Rank insignia? The stock badge seems a bit off to me.

Anyone be offering custom Rank insignia? The stock badge seems a bit off to me.

Having hand-built a few of these insignia badges for custom figs :)slap), I think the problem with the HT badge is the same issue that SSC badges have had - the colored squares should be painted on all sides, not just on the outermost face. With no paint on the sides of colored squares, it ends up creating the illusion that the squares overall look too small and far apart. It would be really tough to paint them, and impossible to match the factory color.

The HT badge is however a more accurate sculpt than the SSC ones (where the squares were actually too small, as well as not being painted on the sides.)

I know, it's cheapo $75 ESB Vader yet again, but my custom ANH Vader doesn't have a head currently. Love this Tarkin, and it stands on its own (ie no stand) more firmly than the vast majority of figures. I tried to use softer lighting and longer lens shots to make the head look as it does in-hand (and remove as much lens distortion as possible.)

ED7lgBt.jpg

fcnPvNh.jpg

1x3qmTW.jpg

Nst4KuN.jpg

ccRnLlZ.jpg

8RYxeM9.jpg

dxPZjt7.jpg

LBfxRHP.jpg

Great pictures Talibane.

I wish somehow HT would have been able to engineer the tunic without the seam down the front. Bleeds with the line of the collar.

But oh well.... next time. 2027 upgrade, what do you say, guys!?

Great pictures Talibane.

I wish somehow HT would have been able to engineer the tunic without the seam down the front. Bleeds with the line of the collar.

Yes, looking forward to the $800 2027 release. :lol

It will have a little silicone-skin head that feels real to the 'squeeze' and real-feel hair... and it will blink and be able to turn its head from side to side. The $1,200 Deluxe version will have a "speak" function where just the mouth moves to mimic lines from the movie.

When your dolls can stand there and blink back at you.... isn't that worth $800?

It will have a little silicone-skin head that feels real to the 'squeeze' and real-feel hair... and it will blink and be able to turn its head from side to side. The $1,200 Deluxe version will have a "speak" function where just the mouth moves to mimic lines from the movie.

When your dolls can stand there and blink back at you.... isn't that worth $800?

I don't like my dolls to blink at me, it makes me feel as though I need to be medicated. :lol :lol :lol

Great pictures Talibane.

Yeah it's accurate to the costume, but at 1/6 you can't make it as subtle/barely visible as it is in full size. be thankful it isn't as obvious on the HT as it was on the SSC (and the SSC also has the thick over-shoulder lapping.)

As of now, the only company to do it without the seam down the front was hasbro...:horror:lol

5M8moiY.jpg

Back