Hot Toys Giger Alien

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just saying...
Its because no one as a group has ever said "we had enough of this!" and boycott HT completely. HT know that people will still buy nomatter what ethics they practise... I felt pissed when they released DX batman and joker... Seriously, the have milked the batman line till the cow died... and STILL people are into it...

and current finishes like the JC...

As bad as I want this figure I will have to wait for final product
pic's to show up before I order.
I am yet to buy a HT alien and that is only coz' I thought all the other one's
sucked (just my opinion dont be offended).
Its really important to me that HT get this one right as it is the only 1/6
alien I need in my collection.

see? just when I said DX... everyone ate that sxxt up...

Not getting this, until I see the actual product. For now, I'll stick with Medicom even though it is not the right scale, at least it's more accurate.

Its because no one as a group has ever said "we had enough of this!" and boycott HT completely.

That's the issue, you can't get the entire HT collector base to boycott things, the forums are just a few hundred folks, a small percentage. Even if this whole board boycotted, probably wouldn't hurt sales enough to do any damage.

I would love to boycott and make a point about some of their practices, but at the same time, the lingering fear is having to pay double or triple the price for a figure later if you don't jump on it when it's around at retail. I paid that price with Hicks, unless I could know for certain enough people are going to boycott to make a difference, I'm not going to risk trying one and missing out on my chance to buy their figures at a reasonable price for a cause that may not succeed.

Well, l doubt that l have to prove my love for all things alien/Hot Toys. But l'm willing to do my part if there's a boycott. lt's not like there aren't other alien figures (or better) on the market already. With all of the inaccuracies this figure has, my MCFARLANE/ NECA figures would do just fine. Heck, MEDICOM's figure would be a much better substitute .

Well, l doubt that l have to prove my love for all things alien/Hot Toys. But l'm willing to do my part if there's a boycott. lt's not like there aren't other alien figures (or better) on the market already. With all of the inaccuracies this figure has, my MCFARLANE/ NECA figures would do just fine. Heck, MEDICOM's figure would be a much better substitute .

Quoted for truth!

I would boycott this too!
Giger has a very distinct style & to deviate from it, is blasphemy.

I'm not getting it. I want the Giger Alien but am unwilling to settle for this. Why change the design? It's perfect the way it is and HT chose to completely ignore Giger's Alien while advertising it as Giger's Alien. It's like they have completely seperate people working for them that design the Aliens, because most of their other releases are as close to perfect you'll get in 1/6 scale.

Giger has a very distinct style & to deviate from it, is blasphemy.

Deviation is one thing, but I think HT's really off track boasting the Giger aspect in their newsletter, it almost comes off as cocky or arrogant speaking about their figure as thought it's the best replica of Giger's work out there when it isn't. That, or they just don't understand the fine details that make Giger's ALIEN and do truly think there's is 100% on track. Given their history of license with the Aliens, there's got to be something behind it, with so many accurrate figures and sculpts, missing the mark with Aliens a number of times can't be just bad luck, there's got to be something intentional about it, I'd really like to know what and why.

Boycott? Really?

There used to be a time when boycotting something held meaning, or was for a righteous, just cause. Or at the very least, was political or was an affront to your sensibilities.

Here it's just indicative of a group of collectors who decide to throw a tantrum when a company doesn't cater exactly to your demands, even though you know full well the kind of work and attention that goes into the process. You can't get everything right all the time, a principle that is applicable to the highest ends of merchandise.

Grow up, you crybabies. I hate using this dictum, but....If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

Boycott? Really?

There used to be a time when boycotting something held meaning, or was for a righteous, just cause. Or at the very least, was political or was an affront to your sensibilities.

Here it's just indicative of a group of collectors who decide to throw a tantrum when a company doesn't cater exactly to your demands, even though you know full well the kind of work and attention that goes into the process. You can't get everything right all the time, a principle that is applicable to the highest ends of merchandise.

Grow up, you crybabies. I hate using this dictum, but....If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

Finally! Some sense!

Boycott? Really?

Please shut up and leave. What do you think we are talking about here? We don't like how it looks, so we are discussing about not buying it. lf you're bored, please go and waste someone elses time or shut up. l have a right to express my thoughts about this figure without having to read your ignorant replies.

Sorry, I'm not a cry baby. My uncle just passed away today & I didn't even shed a tear.

I would prefer the term nit pickers :lol

But seriously, ppl are just expressing our thoughts. And yes, if we don't like it we don't buy it, it's as good as boycotting their alien products.

I have never bought a single HT Aliens product and I will continue to boycott them, until they learn how to make their Aliens accurate.

Yeah, I'm slick :rolleyes: I do understand your point, that's all I'm gonna say, so people can get back to discussing this "worthless", "completely inaccurate" alien. :D

Hey Chaser,
I can tell you as a sculptor myself that the Alien is on of the hardest things to sculpt. It has many shapes and details and there is a reason so many like to do their take on it. Most sculptors don't want to spend the time to do it right. It is way easier to just go OK I'll make this up here and there. Mc Farlane did the same thing and I can tell you that none of the guys working on it at the time had the ability to make these figures accurate. I can bet HT was thinking we have to get this done on schedule and knowing if their guy could sculpt it right that it would take 3 times the time for him to do it right. I spent over two months on the NECA one and I really needed another week to get all of it dead on. Companies have dead lines and I bet HT went this route. I can remember back at McFarlane that they said we'll just do our thing because nobody will be able to see it anyway which was one of the things that made me say OK time to move on. When you really are into something I think you will buy it more likely if the company does their best to make it look like the thing you remember seeing in the movie.
I bet Sabres21768 is into Alien more than you are and just wants what HT does for their other lines and that is make this stuff ACCURATE. Alien is one of the most popular figures to make and HT did something they don't do on other popular lines. They pulled a McFarlane and I can tell you the guys that make this stuff for the movies really do wish their stuff looked accurate in toy form. Reading what people are saying on here I would think HT should do what they should do. Give the fans a good accurate Alien. Heck 150 bucks isn't cheap.

I'm ignorant, but those who spout ideas of boycotting are voices of wisdom? No.

I'm all for giving critiques on a product if it's constructive. But this thread (and lately, many MANY others on SSF) delve into impetuous idiocy.

I'm just as frustrated as some of you. I want this figure to be as perfect as possible, and I'm okay with some of you bombarding HT with vitriolic emails or vehement facebook messages or obsessive photomanipulations. But we're passing a line here. It's embarrassing. HT have already said that they're making improvements/changes!

I own a lot of alien product from HT, so I think my thoughts on this matter are just as relevant as yours. At least I, as some here, can have a bit more sense and patience.
alienht003.jpg

Giger Alien will have a good place in my collection.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not a cry baby. My uncle just passed away today & I didn't even shed a tear.

I would prefer the term nit pickers :lol

But seriously, ppl are just expressing our thoughts. And yes, if we don't like it we don't buy it, it's as good as boycotting their alien products.

I have never bought a single HT Aliens product and I will continue to boycott them, until they learn how to make their Aliens accurate.

Yup, and we were simply discussing things only to be attacked with a condescending remark. As far as l know, HT is not a religion, so why impede us from going against what some believe?

tankman, I get what you're saying, but it's not like Hot Toys didn't know the 30th Anniversary of Alien was this year.
Furthermore, why are the alien figures "always" the ones getting the short end of the stick?
Personally, thought "OK, at least Hot Toys won't let us down on the Big Chap, and work just as hard as they did on the other lines". I don't think you can really justify their actions. Their endo's require a lot of sculpting and engineering too, but they look great!

We're not asking for the world here. All Hot Toys has to do is retool the figure, (Eye sockets, hands, and a few other details) and I'm sure most of us will be more than satisfied. Like you said earlier, it's not a cheap figure. In addition, if Medicom and NECA could do it..... I bet my [blank] Hot Toys can too.

plasmid303, I never said we were wise and or claim to be "right".
People can boycott anything they don't agree with. Why should it have to be something righteous?
This creature has a lot of significance to a lot of us. (some more than others) So, to personally attack us for mentioning the word "Boycott", or for simply stressing how disappointed we are seems distasteful on your part.
If you want to buy the figure the way it is, then by all means do. You are entitled to your own opinion and decisions.
However, I will not simply stand by and let you try to bully "us" by throwing words around like, "Grow up, you crybabies" and "If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT". The latter is what we were discussing in the first place in the chance that Hot Toys doesn't retool the fig.

I still stand by my opinions, just like I'm sure you stand by yours.
If there's a boycott, I'll play my part.
If there's not, I'll still think this figure deserved more respect from Hot Toys.

I'm not trying to "one down" your opinions.
My reply to you was a direct result of your condescending post.

Last edited:
Finally! Some sense!

Think about how many more fans would buy the Alien if it looked like these other accurate HT figures.
This new Alien HT is putting out is a cool figure. Aliens are hard not to make them look cool. McFarlane's Queen was really cool but for a diehard fan it just isn't the James Cameron Queen. Some of us are still waiting for the accurate Queen to make it to action figure form. Many on here want a 14inch accurate Alien. Why the heck not when HT has made most of their stuff accurate. They will sell many of these Alien figures because this thing does look cool. They would sell more if it was accurate but how many more is the question?

Hey Chaser,
I can tell you as a sculptor myself that the Alien is on of the hardest things to sculpt. It has many shapes and details and there is a reason so many like to do their take on it. Most sculptors don't want to spend the time to do it right. It is way easier to just go OK I'll make this up here and there. Mc Farlane did the same thing and I can tell you that none of the guys working on it at the time had the ability to make these figures accurate. I can bet HT was thinking we have to get this done on schedule and knowing if their guy could sculpt it right that it would take 3 times the time for him to do it right. I spent over two months on the NECA one and I really needed another week to get all of it dead on. Companies have dead lines and I bet HT went this route. I can remember back at McFarlane that they said we'll just do our thing because nobody will be able to see it anyway which was one of the things that made me say OK time to move on. When you really are into something I think you will buy it more likely if the company does their best to make it look like the thing you remember seeing in the movie.
I bet Sabres21768 is into Alien more than you are and just wants what HT does for their other lines and that is make this stuff ACCURATE. Alien is one of the most popular figures to make and HT did something they don't do on other popular lines. They pulled a McFarlane and I can tell you the guys that make this stuff for the movies really do wish their stuff looked accurate in toy form. Reading what people are saying on here I would think HT should do what they should do. Give the fans a good accurate Alien. Heck 150 bucks isn't cheap.

Okay. I agree. But with that quoted post of mine I was trying to point out how rude and inconsiderate some comments can be. If sculpting the alien is one of the hardest, like you say, do you think sculptors would want to read those quoted comments, "worthless" "completely inaccurate" etc.? I can understand people want to get the message across to HT that this alien is wrong, but I think comments like those are the wrong way to go about it. I get that people want to express their annoyance, but they should respect the artist in doing so. But, that's just me.

Okay. I agree. But with that quoted post of mine I was trying to point out how rude and inconsiderate some comments can be. If sculpting the alien is one of the hardest, like you say, do you think sculptors would want to read those quoted comments, "worthless" "completely inaccurate" etc.? I can understand people want to get the message across to HT that this alien is wrong, but I think comments like those are the wrong way to go about it. I get that people want to express their annoyance, but they should respect the artist in doing so. But, that's just me.

I see and understand your point. However, please try to see ours.
This is not Hot Toys first Alien figure. "We" have already sent countless e-mails to Hot Toys HQ with their prior alien figures requesting more accuracy.
It's like "we" are being ignored, and the only real thing that will get their attention now is extreme action/ words.

I get that some or the words used are disrespectful to the sculptor, but if the sculptors work seems disrespectful to us....what do you expect?
You have to give respect to get respect. Respect is earned.
The disrespect is simply a reciprocation of how we feel we as alien fans are being treated.

Did you guys notice that in the new pics it looks like the figure does have the spurs on the ankles? It remains to be seen if they're actually the oxen jaws, which Medicom didn't get right either.

Hey Kyle! Good to see ya around. Dude, what will it take to convince the powers that be at NECA that you guys need to put out the aliens in 1/6 scale? Man, that would be awesome! You're the only sculptor I know of who is as passionate about the aliens and predators as we are. :D

As for boycotting, I think it's a good way of showing one's displeasure. It is "don't like, don't buy". I'm thinking about it... after all, all of my HT aliens are inaccurate/interpretations anyway.

But I think we have made ourselves heard, I'm sure HT gets it by now. I remember when the first AvP alien came out, nobody really complained, although a few inaccuracies were pointed out. When the Aliens xeno came out, only a select handful of us complained bitterly about how little resemblance it bore to the source material (remember the hell we raised Les? LOL!), by the time the A3 dragon was shown, again it was just a few who really complained and put up reference pics, but the grumblings did grow louder. And now the Giger original. Well, this thread has become pretty large and it has become the most debate filled of recent Alien threads, so I think HT will take notice that this time we're really not going to accept things just the way they want to make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back