Hot Toys Elite Praetorian Guards

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them. I agree, they show an oriental armor inspiration. They're different from the OT guards but that's not a bad thing. And considering we haven't seen them in the context of the film it's kinda premature to criticize a design that hasn't shown its purpose or influence yet.

But more importantly...I like them. :D

Agreed. This one of the problems of early toy reveals and releases for a film that is months away. The internet doesn't have a film to talk about so discussions latch on the little info and imagery available to them. My theory is that most of these designs would be far better received if consumers somehow managed to see them for the first time within the context of the film.

That said, even without the context of the film I think these look pretty cool. The movie will determine whether or not they are worthy of a spot in my collection.

the thing is, that is just 1 helmet out of 3 guard designs. Its probably not my favorite out of the 3 guard designs, but i think they will look cool all together and if they have a bad a$$ fight scene, then a lot pf people will like them.

People want to pretend this is some "new" design. Couldn't be further from the truth.

This is a blatant marketing attempt to get the relatively disinterested east asia market to spend money on star wars.
a12948ecb4ba68b7a67b79f526e4683c.jpg

You know what would be pretty neat? If these guys corner Rey and she struggles to fight them off in a pretty cool sequence, she gets roughed up, and Luke comes in and wipes the floor with them, saving her.

I agree with Turd, though I can forgive the Asian influence since Vader himself was Samurai inspired.

But Rose Tico, forget it, total pandering to Asia.

See...the interesting thing is that given the time and circumstance, the pandering argument comes up. I have a hard time believing many of us would have batted an eye at an Asian protagonist, or any other ethnicity if it wasn't the current hot topic in social and news media - especially given that Star Wars is an inclusive universe by design, there's every color, shape, and species under the sun. So while this move is motivated by what we all have discussed, it doesn't feel abnormal necessarily. It's this weird dichotomy in my mind.

Well I attribute the casting of Rose for similar reasons as the casting of Lando back in 1980. There were forces at work beyond the necessity of the character. It's very obvious.

Fair comparison, and agreed. I think she'll get more screen time than Lando to be honest, given that she has a whole mission with Finn, apparently. But will she get a Hot Toy? Probably haha.

She will get a Hot Toys before Lando.

I think also Rogue One has obvious casting decisions based on the similar interest in the market, which may be why Rose gets even more casting shame.

I don't see how the praetorian guards are any more of a marketing attempt to get the asian market to love it than other Star Wars designs lol.
A ton of stuff from Star Wars is based on Samurai, Kendo, etc.

Rian Johnson said he wanted something Samurai-esque with them, so that's no secret. But I'm pretty sure he was thinking he wanted something along the lines of Samurai and McQuarrie's concepts as opposed to saying "Hey, I want to appeal to the asian market, what should I add". =P

Casting-wise with Rose, I can understand why people think that - but it makes me sad that anytime there's not an all-white cast, there's accusations of it being because of a "politically correct agenda" or trying to appeal to a certain race.

It's just the way our world is, man. And if someone is putting a black person or asian person into a leading role, good for them. Even if it's to try to appeal to certain crowds, why is that bad? If you never saw someone like you represented in movies other than a stereotyped miniscule character, I'm pretty sure you'd be bummed. I'm glad movies are becoming more like the world in terms of diversity. I look forward to when it can happen without people pointing fingers and saying "there's an asian person because it's politically correct".

I don't see how the praetorian guards are any more of a marketing attempt to get the asian market to love it than other Star Wars designs lol.
A ton of stuff from Star Wars is based on Samurai, Kendo, etc.

Rian Johnson said he wanted something Samurai-esque with them, so that's no secret. But I'm pretty sure he was thinking he wanted something along the lines of Samurai and McQuarrie's concepts as opposed to saying "Hey, I want to appeal to the asian market, what should I add". =P

Casting-wise with Rose, I can understand why people think that - but it makes me sad that anytime there's not an all-white cast, there's accusations of it being because of a "politically correct agenda" or trying to appeal to a certain race.

It's just the way our world is, man. And if someone is putting a black person or asian person into a leading role, good for them. Even if it's to try to appeal to certain crowds, why is that bad? If you never saw someone like you represented in movies other than a stereotyped miniscule character, I'm pretty sure you'd be bummed. I'm glad movies are becoming more like the world in terms of diversity. I look forward to when it can happen without people pointing fingers and saying "there's an asian person because it's politically correct".
:goodpost::clap well said. :)

See...the interesting thing is that given the time and circumstance, the pandering argument comes up. I have a hard time believing many of us would have batted an eye at an Asian protagonist, or any other ethnicity if it wasn't the current hot topic in social and news media - especially given that Star Wars is an inclusive universe by design, there's every color, shape, and species under the sun. So while this move is motivated by what we all have discussed, it doesn't feel abnormal necessarily. It's this weird dichotomy in my mind.

I read one of the first drafts of the script and she wasn't originally in it. So I'm feeling like the "powers that be" jumped on the "please make it sell in China" bandwagon. I'm betting, when we finally see the film, her character will be totally inconsequential and in no way integral to the overall story.

But I could be wrong... :)

Fair comparison, and agreed. I think she'll get more screen time than Lando to be honest, given that she has a whole mission with Finn, apparently. But will she get a Hot Toy? Probably haha.

That is actually interesting. HTs is a Hong Kong company and Rose is Asian. However, based on discussions on some HK forums, hardly anyone is interested in Rose. All of my HK friends aren't interested in Rose but who knows if HTs will make her. The majority of the SW market is in NA after all.

Edit: When I said interested I meant interested in a figure of Rose.

I read one of the first drafts of the script and she wasn't originally in it. So I'm feeling like the "powers that be" jumped on the "please make it sell in China" bandwagon. I'm betting, when we finally see the film, her character will be totally inconsequential and in no way integral to the overall story.

But I could be wrong... :)

This is very interesting.

Did the script feel like it was missing a character? Maybe Finn's separate adventure needed another comic relief? Or maybe they need to give Finn another love interest because so Poe has a clear shot at Rey?

I agree with Turd, though I can forgive the Asian influence since Vader himself was Samurai inspired.

But Rose Tico, forget it, total pandering to Asia.

Let's see if she gets a figure over more important characters.

If pandering I feel Rose's character would only mainly appeal to westernized asians since she is a very Americanized actress. Baze and Chirrut's characters are A-list Chinese actors and would draw more of the East Asian market (even though RO didnt do as well as expected over there). So I feel she wouldn't entirely be directed at drawing the huge China market. Just my 2 cents.

If pandering I feel Rose's character would only mainly appeal to westernized asians since she is a very Americanized actress. Baze and Chirrut's characters are A-list Chinese actors and would draw more of the East Asian market (even though RO didnt do as well as expected over there). So I feel she wouldn't entirely be directed at drawing the huge China market. Just my 2 cents.

Speaking of, where's my damned Baze pre-order!?!?! Chirrut is quite lonely on the shelf.

Back