Hot Toys Elite Praetorian Guards

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how the praetorian guards are any more of a marketing attempt to get the asian market to love it than other Star Wars designs lol.
A ton of stuff from Star Wars is based on Samurai, Kendo, etc.

Rian Johnson said he wanted something Samurai-esque with them, so that's no secret. But I'm pretty sure he was thinking he wanted something along the lines of Samurai and McQuarrie's concepts as opposed to saying "Hey, I want to appeal to the asian market, what should I add". =P

Casting-wise with Rose, I can understand why people think that - but it makes me sad that anytime there's not an all-white cast, there's accusations of it being because of a "politically correct agenda" or trying to appeal to a certain race.

It's just the way our world is, man. And if someone is putting a black person or asian person into a leading role, good for them. Even if it's to try to appeal to certain crowds, why is that bad? If you never saw someone like you represented in movies other than a stereotyped miniscule character, I'm pretty sure you'd be bummed. I'm glad movies are becoming more like the world in terms of diversity. I look forward to when it can happen without people pointing fingers and saying "there's an asian person because it's politically correct".

Excellent post...the other challenge that Star Wars has with both character design and casting is that it is the only thing where a bunch of nerds have been sitting around for decades dreaming up and falling in love with their own fan fiction about. When new movies are made, in spite of their quality, the same nerds will complain because somehow J J Abrams, Rian Johnson, Lawrence Kasdan, or whoever failed to magically adapt their daydreamed (and probably bad) fan fiction into being the next Star Wars movie. As a result some Star Wars "fans" will never be pleased.

This is very interesting.

Did the script feel like it was missing a character? Maybe Finn's separate adventure needed another comic relief? Or maybe they need to give Finn another love interest because so Poe has a clear shot at Rey?

Finn's adventure had "others" that went with him - so it definitely didn't feel like they needed anyone else. Saying that, there was something really interesting in there that (from what I have been able ascertain) didn't come to fruition. So maybe, she could slot in there?

"Kiss my pander" isn't exactly an argument and it certainly isn't a denial. :lol

Say what you will about George Lucas, Gary Kurtz, Irvin Kershner, Richard Marquand, etc. but atleast they never used a format like twitter. These young directors, filmmakers and writers look like unprofessional fools tweeting and stuff. Just gives further credence to the idea that they're just studio tools, glorified cheerleaders.

And here's your proof Mandible is lying by the way:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/909912126415765504

If you don't like Asians being leads in films, too bad. Don't make **** up to try to make it seem like it's some kind of agenda.

I agree with you, I just started getting into SW. One thing I can't understand is if the main character not white it's usually a huge issue or some agenda or comic relief. Even though the universe is suppose to be so vast seems like a lot the fans are narrow minded.

Finn, and now Rose....

You are more than welcome to tweet back to them asking for exact wording if you want

No thanks. :lol

Why are these things called Praetorian Guards anyway. Star Wars has always taken place in "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away". Why are they using roman terminology? Couldn't they just be Snoke's elite royal guards or something.

No thanks. :lol

Why are these things called Praetorian Guards anyway. Star Wars has always taken place in "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away". Why are they using roman terminology? Couldn't they just be Snoke's elite royal guards or something.

Empire, Republic, Emperor, etc.. (also the Empire having been a Republic before it turned into the Empire lol). It's not the first time. Lots of stuff in Star Wars is inspired by Roman History, mostly in the prequels. Specifically the architecture and obviously the Republic/Empire story. The OT Royal Guards and more-so the Senate Guards helmets are a good example as well.

The Mandalorian helmets are similar to gladiator helmets as well, but definitely not as much as the Senate Guards :)

And come to think of it, the obvious glaring reference I missed is the arena fight in AOTC.

Last edited:
Say what you will about George Lucas, Gary Kurtz, Irvin Kershner, Richard Marquand, etc. but atleast they never used a format like twitter. These young directors, filmmakers and writers look like unprofessional fools tweeting and stuff. Just gives further credence to the idea that they're just studio tools, glorified cheerleaders.

It's a different time. Who is to say those guy's wouldn't have used social media tools if they were available to them in their era? Young filmmakers using things like Twitter says nothing other than that social media is prevalent and that they know how to use it.

Well this has all gone sideways.

Believe what you will "neb." Clearly you have no clue about NDA's - or how the industry works.

I wasn't here to "stir up" anything other than saying she wasn't in the early draft I read, and therefore (if you had any idea how studios and producers work) my guess is "the powers that be" have had their 20 cents worth. This is a billion dollar business/brand, first and foremost., they're going to try and cross every "T" and dot every "I."

So here's all I'll say - let's see if the first word in the scroll is "Since." If it isn't then, again, I'm happy to be held accountable in December.

Well this has all gone sideways.

Believe what you will "neb." Clearly you have no clue about NDA's - or how the industry works.

I wasn't here to "stir up" anything other than saying she wasn't in the early draft I read, and therefore (if you had any idea how studios and producers work) my guess is "the powers that be" have had their 20 cents worth. This is a billion dollar business/brand, first and foremost., they're going to try and cross every "T" and dot every "I."

So here's all I'll say - let's see if the first word in the scroll is "Since." If it isn't, then again, I'm happy to be held accountable in December.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be proven right when the Last Jedi art and making of books come out.

Friendly reminder that this was Finn for a while,

IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG

Back to the Praetorian Guards. HTs have announced a TLJ fig every week this month. I really hope its a two pack of these guy this Thursday/Friday. They had 2-3 figs out before the movie for the last two films and they were all helmeted figs. Since Kylo is not out till next year I really think it'll be these guys coming out before the film!

I still think Rose is the mother or brother or sister of the Stormtrooper Finn got so upset about when he died...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think Rose is the mother or brother or sister of the Stormtrooper Finn got so upset about when he died...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really cool. Hopefully there is some kind of thread like that.

Rose as the brother of the Stormtrooper sounds like an interesting twist, and wouldn't be entirely unexpected in light of the trend of current movies and TV series.

Hmmm...Rose's sister is already a Resistance Pilot in the movie and there is apparently already a character thread about the two sisters...one a heroic pilot the other (Rose) being the behind the scenes mechanic who does not get the limelight...I doubt they will have room to cram in an additional dead brother thread for a character who is a supporting character and not the main character a la Rey. They can only spend so much time with a supporting character's siblings...

Back