Hot Toys C-3PO (ROTJ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still love my Tamashi Threepio. The first $400AU figure I bought years ago! I scored the Artoo for $250AU and the duo will never be replaced.View attachment 634281View attachment 634282
For me the Tamashi is still the best rendition of Threepio. It’s such a beautiful figure and the weight of him makes you feel like you have a real shrunken down protocol droid in you’re hands. It always puts a smile on my face when I walk past him and R2. I don’t know how some people can say that they’re not crazy about the character. Him and R2 will always be ingrained in my memory as being the first characters that blew my tiny 4 year old mind when I watched the film at the cinema all those years ago. A truly magical moment that’s stayed with me to this day.

Yeah, for me nothing represents Star Wars more than Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers along with R2 and 3PO. I would never not keep and have those 2 combo's on display in some form or scale of figure collectibles.

I never bought either the Tamashi 3PO or R2 as I don't like them super clean, pristine and shiny. For me my R2 and 3PO have to be weathered and some what dirty...

I didn’t realise the eyes were lit up in the official pics.

Last edited:
I didn't even think about how the eyes might look "dead" when not lit up until reading this discussion today.

I've railed against Hot Toys' lame gimmicks going back to, at least, Ghost Rider. If you want light up features, action punches, talking, etc., seems like you could go with Hasbro. Do high end collectibles need that junk? If it doesn't affect the standard, stock figure, then fine. No biggie when the Predator laser sighting or Terminator eye isn't lit. But something like this? Who is going to keep it on 24/7? In which case the gimmick has very little utility in even the scenario where people care about it. Another big annoyance with me is that the batteries have to be removed, otherwise they will corrode and potentially damage the figure. Gotta agree with Justin's video, they should have included a standard head with painted eyes for those who don't care about the gimmick.
They’ve included interchangeable opaque white discs to insert into the arc reactors for at least a couple of their 1/4 Iron Man figures, not sure why they couldn’t have figured out something like that for this guy.

For me the Tamashi is still the best rendition of Threepio. It’s such a beautiful figure and the weight of him makes you feel like you have a real shrunken down protocol droid in you’re hands. It always puts a smile on my face when I walk past him and R2. I don’t know how some people can say that they’re not crazy about the character. Him and R2 will always be ingrained in my memory as being the first characters that blew my tiny 4 year old mind when I watched the film at the cinema all those years ago. A truly magical moment that’s stayed with me to this day.
The first two SW characters to ever walk on our screens. That makes them the quintessential Star Wars characters. As a duo they’re as iconic as can be. They’re the very heart of that original trilogy.

What is with he new round stands HT is starting to make? Are these the ones that will be made from now on? I really liked the old plain and simple black stands HT had many years ago.
"Perceived value" It's so they can charge more for the figures with minimal production costs on their end.

What I'm noticing is, I think the neck is too thin and its throwing off the whole shape of his head. And the collar also seems a little too thick.

gBLS8To.jpg

c-3po.jpeg

5fc720e7-46d4-4c09-a127-56309b3783ad

2020.11.15-05.28-boundingintocomics-5fb0bc91a6633.png

Last edited:
What I'm noticing is, I think the neck is too thin and its throwing off the whole shape of his head. And the collar also seems a little too thick.

gBLS8To.jpg

c-3po.jpeg

You’re right the neck and neck ring are all out of ratio, but also the head is more squat than the costume, which makes it look too small. I have the Tamashi, and I’m more than happy with him. If HT ever get round to releasing a ANH or ESB version and iron out the above issues, then I may be tempted.

gBLS8To.jpg

c-3po.jpeg

The figure unfortunately suffers from the same condition that afflicted their Iron Man figures. They’re not really designed as a person wearing the armor or costume and a lot of elements are impossibly thin or small.

The thinner neck probably helps with articulation but does detract from the balance. I don’t think it’ll be as noticeable in hand though; photos can exaggerate these issues a bit.

Very exciting to see this guy included in the Hot Toys preview! Looks like we might be getting an early release?

I still can't believe HT didn't give 3PO articulated fingers like SS did... :slap I mean they've been doing it for over a decade with Iron Man figures.

Between his short stubby looking fingers/hands and that long mid-riff (although ROTJ accurate), I've had to pass on this guy so far in hoping they do an ANH version and maybe change his hands (I doubt it). I already have the SS, which is pretty damn good (other than them messing up his thumbs, but that can be hidden a bit with posing). I don't need 3 3PO's. I hope I don't regret it...

Still looking forward to his release, and maybe I'll change my mind.. :lol

One thing I noticed after reading the issues pointed out with the neck is that his eyes look too surprised. As if the space between his eyes and the upper brow or eye socket area seem too exaggerated. Like he’s raising his eye brows in shock and that, although part of the character, doesn’t look screen accurate as well. More like the droids cartoon version. Or maybe the eyes are just slightly too big. Hard to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpeg
    IMG_7139.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back