Hot Toys Bespin Han speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Still happy with the best Ford' sculpt ever... Dank U Sideshow !

s-l1600.jpg

20th May 2020... 40th anniversary of ESB... I think we'll get a reveal... I have a good feeling about this...

It’s unbelievable they haven’t made this figure yet. Especially when I think of all the lame figures they’ve made in the past. This is Han Solo from arguably the best SW film ever made. Why the delay? Another Ducktrooper?

It better happen! Along with a Chewie with his 3PO back pack.

3fb9fe3010fa70de438152bbd46c58f8.jpg

Can you imagine being the extra who got to play this tiny part in the Mandalorian, and you get to say to yourself:

I am more important then major characters in screen history, and than characters played by Billy Dee Williams and Harrison Ford ... and it must be true, because they recognized me first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there have been a few posts lamenting this, but I really want to take a closer look at the elephant in the room: the lack of Han Solo figures from the Original Trilogy.

So far, Luke has seen 6 OT releases (Farmboy, Stormtrooper disguise, Bespin DX07, Jedi, Jedi Deluxe/Endor, and now Hoth snowspeeder Pilot). Similarly, Leia has seen 4 OT releases (ANH Princess, Hoth, Bespin dress, and Endor). While there are still some other options available (Boushh Leia, Bespin Escape Leia, Yavin Ceremony Luke, Bespin Luke rerelease, etc), these two characters have had all their OT movie appearances covered.

However, Han has still only had his ANH appearances (regular outfit + Stormtrooper disguise variant). So, why this huge discrepancy? It can’t be marketability. Han Solo is easily just as popular as Luke and Leia, and remains many people’s favorite character. Moreover, Harrison Ford is the most well known and celebrated actor of those movies. Why haven’t we seen Bespin Han released alongside these ESB Leia versions? Or Endor Han with the trenchcoat along with those versions of Luke and Leia? There hasn’t been an OT Han release in years, and it just doesn’t seem to make sense to withhold all of them.

I remember seeing a post somewhere a couple years back that Howard Chan (Hot Toys founder) was pissed after Harrison Ford destroyed a ANH Han figure on a late night show. I think Harrison was just playing up his grumpy persona, and it obviously wasn’t a slight against Hot Toys specifically. Is it possible that Howard is holding a grudge and blacklisted Harrison-based figures? Would they deny themselves easy money over something like this?

Does anyone have any insight or insider information on this? I would be curious to know if there are any legitimate reasons.

I am more important then major characters in screen history, and than characters played by Billy Dee Williams and Harrison Ford ... and it must be true, because they recognized me first.

They could tell themselves that but deep down they know the real reason their character was created first was because of Mando hype and the fact that they're a cheap and easy repaint.

Does anyone have any insight or insider information on this? I would be curious to know if there are any legitimate reasons.

It's been covered here many, many, many times. No one knows, just rampant speculation. The points you mentioned are valid though so the only thing we can surmise is that there is some reason. We'll probably never know what it is though.

The other latest speculation is that they're waiting on approval for an ESB/ROTJ sculpt that they can reuse 6 times like the new Luke sculpt. But as Chronos said, it's all just guesswork.

Edit:someone on FB also noticed that the two MMS numbers directly after the 40th anniversary Vader still aren't accounted for. Could be Bespin Luke/Han or some other random crap.

77641e7444778e825ba022e0c10c46b9.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah as the owner of a company that prides themselves in everything they do. I'd be pretty pisssed to see one of my high end collectible products trashed like a low end Barbie "just for laughs".

Whether Harrison Ford approves the likeness or not, I'd be putting any figures him in hold as well. Simply on principal.

It's not like HT are struggling for money or lack of figures to make.

That said, they have shown Bespin Han in the Leia promo pics. And he fits in the 40th anniversary line. So I think that version will come out at some point relatively soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back