1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Boba Fett ESB Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone know if those triangles were meant to be a part of the jaig eyes on the original bucket? acting as nostrils or a nose?

Doubtful, its in plenty of concept sketches without the eyes and one of the concept sketches has the eyes and the nostrils are actually elongated in an up-down orientation.

I received a response from Hot Toys. They mention I'm not the only one who's contacted them regarding the helmet:

Hello, Thanks for interest Hot Toys products. We received all information from customer regarding the helmet of Boba Fett already.
We also forwarded related email to our design & production team to follow up. However, we also reminded the Prototype shown, final product may be slightly different. The product details are subject to change without further notice. Hope you understanding. Best regards VC / Hot Toys

Hopefully they'll make changes before the release! Regardless, it looks great and I'll definitely be pre-ordering the deluxe for the prototype version.

I received a response from Hot Toys. They mention I'm not the only one who's contacted them regarding the helmet:

Hello, Thanks for interest Hot Toys products. We received all information from customer regarding the helmet of Boba Fett already.
We also forwarded related email to our design & production team to follow up. However, we also reminded the Prototype shown, final product may be slightly different. The product details are subject to change without further notice. Hope you understanding. Best regards VC / Hot Toys

Hopefully they'll make changes before the release! Regardless, it looks great and I'll definitely be pre-ordering the deluxe for the prototype version.

I think a response shows positive movement. They usually never respond.

I got a similar response to a followup email I sent them with your comparison pics and mine:

Hello,
Thanks for interest Hot Toys products.
Your information already passed to our design & production team as a reference.

** Prototype shown, final product may be slightly different
** Product details are subject to change without further notice

Anyway, we will try our best to keep the original character.
Thanks for your reminder.
Best regards,
VC / Hot Toys

I keep on going back to this argument:

If the film studios couldn't even properly replicate the helmets/suits between films for characters such as Vader, Chewie, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett etc etc than how can we really expect toy companies making it in sixth scale to have such an easy time doing so.

Playing devil's advocate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the film studios couldn't even properly replicate the helmets/suits between films for characters such as Vader, Chewie, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett etc etc than how can we really expect toy companies making it in sixth scale to have such an easy time doing so.

Because that was 3/4 decades ago?

Because that was 3/4 decades ago?

There's that.

I'm just pointing to the fact that it seems difficult to replicate. And despite the fact it was years ago, these were top notch prop/costume makers who most likely directly were involved with the original to remade suits.

EFX, Anovos, and even Sideshow replicate the helmets quite effectively in lifesize form. Hasbro seems to have no trouble with Boba Fett's helmet in 6" and 3 3/4" scale. Medicom got damn close with their 1/6 scale (not quite 1/6th but close) fifteen years ago. There's really no reason Hot Toys should have any trouble with 1/6th.

You're right, Hot Toys has accomplished what we could only dream of a decade ago. I'm grateful, and I'll be buying this figure even if it's the same sculpt as the promo pics. If we can give them constructive criticism that improves the final product, it's worth the effort. Shortening the visor and pulling it forward would likely require an entire new sculpt, because it would alter the proportions of the "cheek" area. I don't know that Hot Toys would bother, but if they fix it, this will be the best year I've had for collecting 1:6 figures. Tarkin and ESB Fett in the same year? :yess:

There's that.

I'm just pointing to the fact that it seems difficult to replicate. And despite the fact it was years ago, these were top notch prop/costume makers who most likely directly were involved with the original to remade suits.

Just a guess here but, changes to costumes between movies could be unavoidable. Sequels mean the first movie made money so there's more money to spend on the next. That's used to "improve upon" designs that the creators compromised on the first time around AND improvements to make the costumes more comfortable for the performers.

In reality, staying 100% accurate to what's come before is probably lower on the list of concerns than we collectors would like. Especially true with the nostalgia franchises from decades ago where all the artisan's were hand crafting props and costumes instead of 3D modeling and printing.

Just a guess here but, changes to costumes between movies could be unavoidable. Sequels mean the first movie made money so there's more money to spend on the next. That's used to "improve upon" designs that the creators compromised on the first time around AND improvements to make the costumes more comfortable for the performers.

In reality, staying 100% accurate to what's come before is probably lower on the list of concerns than we collectors would like. Especially true with the nostalgia franchises from decades ago where all the artisan's were hand crafting props and costumes instead of 3D modeling and printing.

Very true

Got roughly the same response as Stewie. Intriguing that none of them so far have been identical responses - almost as if a person was actually reading and responding to them. Unexpected and encouraging.

On the other hand, doesn't Hot Toys 3D print some of their prototypes? It's much easier to fix something in ZBrush, tweeking a design instead of sculpting by hand, from scratch. I imagine 3D printing would be more appropriate for helmets than human heads with intricate detail. The Fett helmet could be an easy fix?

On the other hand, doesn't Hot Toys 3D print some of their prototypes? It's much easier to fix something in ZBrush, tweeking a design instead of sculpting by hand, from scratch. I imagine 3D printing would be more appropriate for helmets than human heads with intricate detail. The Fett helmet could be an easy fix?

That's something I've been wondering about. Do they use 3D software and printing for things like helmets? If anyone here knows for sure, I'd really appreciate the answer. If they do use it, then the Fett helmet could be adjusted much easier than sculpting a new one by hand and having to create new molds & castings. If it's sculpted by hand, though, I would be surprised if HT is willing to incur the cost (both money and time) to start all over on a new helmet.

As for movie props and costumes not being replicated accurately, I just don't think the filmmakers and prop departments are always as obsessive about continuity and accuracy as some of us would prefer them to be. Rogue One was filmed in this generation, and the last scene with Vader was supposed to happen minutes before the first scene of ANH. But, the Vader costume wasn't identical (the oversized diaper codpiece and tweaked chest box being examples) despite the modern technology and references available. I think they just don't care to match things to the degree that some of us collectors would expect or prefer. Sometimes it's just not the ultimate priority of prop departments working on movies. So, it may not always be that type of priority for toy companies either.

Everyone who wants Hot Toys to fix the helmet on this figure should e-mail Hot Toys: [email protected] and forward them this picture:

View attachment 389347

The visor needs to be shortened, angled forward slightly with more of an indented curve up the jawline. This is the biggest problem with the helmet. Also, the eye slit in the visor should be slightly more narrow, and the top of the dome should be slightly shorter. A more blueish/grey flight suit would also be more screen accurate, and reflect the Kenner Boba Fett toys we grew up with.

Spazz, thanks for putting these pics and info together. I just wrote an email to HT and included it. I've read that people are getting personal responses back, so at least that's encouraging.

Spazz, thanks for putting these pics and info together. I just wrote an email to HT and included it. I've read that people are getting personal responses back, so at least that's encouraging.

:duff Hopefully the volume of emails they're getting will convince them to fix it!

Back